Default [Q] cant boot into flashed recovery rom. end up in stock recovery.

im trying to flash cwm custom recovery rom. fastboot flash recovery <downloaded img> yielded a bootloader variable not supported (error). mfastboot flash recovery <downloaded img> yielded sending 'recovery' <7892 kb>..., okay [0.610s], writing 'recovery'..., okay [1.614s], finished. total time: 2.224s. but when i reboot into recovery, i get the stock recovery.

ive searched around online. ive looked for the stock rom file with no success (using android commander) to rename it. i know it must be there, but this is my first time rooting, unlocking the bootloader, and flashing roms. heck i cant even see the cwm rom written.

being a noobie im probably just missing something very basic and could use some detailed instructions to get past this point (my technical vocabulary in this area is very limited). i'm trying to use manual tools, so id like to stick with learning the manual way please.

btw, when i'm in fastboot mode other than rebooting the phone via 3 finger salute is there a terminal command to get back to adb mode? after flashing, i wanted to go back to adb to issue a reboot command from there. i read my flash might be overwritten as i reboot my the stock rom.

thanks in advance for the help.

Tools being used:

adb
fastboot
Android Commander

The phone:

Motorola Droid Razr HD (CDMA) running 4.1.1 build 9.8.10_39
Rooted via Motochopper
Bootloader unlocked via Motopocalypse