Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

(Q) serious lag when updating apps

OP maverick1103

11th March 2014, 11:16 AM   |  #1  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 150
 
1,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Help, i've had my Note 3 just about a month now and ever since I've had it I get seriously bad lag when I'm updating apps from Play Store.
It's that bad that if I update all apps and there are 3/4 apps I have to wait until they are done otherwise the phone gets that laggy I can't do anything.

I haven't done a reset but I'm thinking I probably will need too, unless anyone else knows what it could be?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 11:23 AM   |  #2  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,739
 
2,323 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Happens to me, I don't really care for it because it only updates on WiFi. My phone gets stuttery when it installs the update more than when it is downloading. Also to note, it's recurrent on 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!
11th March 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #3  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 150
 
1,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

Happens to me, I don't really care for it because it only updates on WiFi. My phone gets stuttery when it installs the update more than when it is downloading. Also to note, it's recurrent on 4.3 and 4.4.2.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

Well I'm slightly relived that it's just not me, but now I'm thinking doing a reset won't solve it. It's not a major issue but just shouldn't be doing it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #4  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,739
 
2,323 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1103

Well I'm slightly relived that it's just not me, but now I'm thinking doing a reset won't solve it. It's not a major issue but just shouldn't be doing it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Doing a reset won't solve the issue, it's more that the system is focused on getting the install to be quickly and painlessly finished and causes other processes to slow down due to CPU demand changes. I'm running a custom ROM and kernel and still get these problems, and before I was on stock 4.3 so I can confirm it's not your hardware or personal configuration issue.

Also when your launcher lags, it's due to the fact that you're on the launcher but it has to do a live app removal from the drawer and then reinsertion of the app.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #5  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 150
 
1,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

Doing a reset won't solve the issue, it's more that the system is focused on getting the install to be quickly and painlessly finished and causes other processes to slow down due to CPU demand changes. I'm running a custom ROM and kernel and still get these problems, and before I was on stock 4.3 so I can confirm it's not your hardware or personal configuration issue.

Also when your launcher lags, it's due to the fact that you're on the launcher but it has to do a live app removal from the drawer and then reinsertion of the app.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

Thanks for that explanation, that does make sense now, however coming from previous phones (Sony Z1 and HTC One) these never had that issue and the Note 3 is more powerful, im a bit confused. So basically it's Samsung's software that's the cause?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #6  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,739
 
2,323 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1103

Thanks for that explanation, that does make sense now, however coming from previous phones (Sony Z1 and HTC One) these never had that issue and the Note 3 is more powerful, im a bit confused. So basically it's Samsung's software that's the cause?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I believe it is something to do with TouchWiz. My other Samsung phones lag like crazy as well whilst installing apps.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!
11th March 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 82
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Lookout slowing down the phone too
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

I believe it is something to do with TouchWiz. My other Samsung phones lag like crazy as well whilst installing apps.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3!

I noticed something on my TMob Note 3, I have Lookout security pre-installed and I see slight improvement if it is not scanning apps after every install and if it is disabled. Can someone check if you are seeing any improvements without Lookout Security or is it just my placebo?

Also, the Lookout backup upload slows both my phone and the internet. Any idea why that is happening? Is it uploading everything again and again or just the changes?
11th March 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #8  
nicholaschum's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,739
 
2,323 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulisola

I noticed something on my TMob Note 3, I have Lookout security pre-installed and I see slight improvement if it is not scanning apps after every install and if it is disabled. Can someone check if you are seeing any improvements without Lookout Security or is it just my placebo?

Also, the Lookout backup upload slows both my phone and the internet. Any idea why that is happening? Is it uploading everything again and again or just the changes?

My other Samsung phones don't have anything installed and still lags.

However, I do have some security apps installed to check for viruses, but the thing is, it only checks after the app is installed, not during install, and the lag spikes in only during the install and not after.

I use Avast Mobile Security to scan my apps.
11th March 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #9  
maverick1103's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 150
 
1,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulisola

I noticed something on my TMob Note 3, I have Lookout security pre-installed and I see slight improvement if it is not scanning apps after every install and if it is disabled. Can someone check if you are seeing any improvements without Lookout Security or is it just my placebo?

Also, the Lookout backup upload slows both my phone and the internet. Any idea why that is happening? Is it uploading everything again and again or just the changes?







Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum

My other Samsung phones don't have anything installed and still lags.

However, I do have some security apps installed to check for viruses, but the thing is, it only checks after the app is installed, not during install, and the lag spikes in only during the install and not after.

I use Avast Mobile Security to scan my apps.

I have no AV app on my phone, do not believe in them, so it's got to be TouchWiz.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
13th March 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 67
 
271 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1103

I have no AV app on my phone, do not believe in them, so it's got to be TouchWiz.

Or it's the malware that's on your phone

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes