FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

FYI - I was able to SIM UNLOCK my AT&T S5 to work with T-Mobile and Straight Talk

22 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By morockin, Junior Member on 12th April 2014, 05:10 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
For those of you who may be interested in a SIM UNLOCK for our new S5's, I just wanted to report that I was able to use different SIM cards in two ways:

1. Without entering any codes or making any changes, I inserted my Straight Talk sim card and the phone booted up and switched on to the AT&T network without any prompts. In order to get data working, I had to enter the Straight Talk APN manually, at which point I was able to use 4G data.

2. I then removed the Straight Talk sim and rebooted the phone with a T-Mobile sim card. This time the phone prompted me for an unlock code, which I entered from a website that I had paid for an unlock code. The unlock was successful and I was again able to make calls on the T-Mobile network (I did not test data since I had no credit).

So for those of you who are like me and use Straight Talk as your monthly service, you should be able to use at least some of the Straight Talk SIM in the SM-G900A without modification. If you are also like me a travel out of the country routinely, you shouldn't have any problems buying an unlock code online right away in order to use local sim cards when you are away from home.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

PS Does anyone know how to make new APN profiles persistent? I noticed that when I removed the Straight Talk sim and put in the T-Mobile SIM that the Straight Talk APN I had entered went away, even when I put the Straight Talk sim back in. It would be nice to have the Straight Talk SIM permanently on the phone (or on the sim card?) so I don't have to input new settings every time I swap sims.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morockin For This Useful Post: [ View ]

12th April 2014, 05:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by morockin

2. I then removed the Straight Talk sim and rebooted the phone with a T-Mobile sim card. This time the phone prompted me for an unlock code, which I entered from a website that I had paid for an unlock code. The unlock was successful and I was again able to make calls on the T-Mobile network (I did not test data since I had no credit).

Which unlock website did you use?
12th April 2014, 05:50 PM |#3  
Flag East Coast
Thanks Meter: 66

More
The apn will reset unless it's a custom Rom but usually you can just hit menu & reset the network settings to get the current sim's apn. Only done it with T-Mo & at&t sim's but it might work for ST..
12th April 2014, 08:18 PM |#4  
Flag Silver Spring, MD
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
Giving the website would help more

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
12th April 2014, 11:46 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl

Giving the website would help more

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I had tried to include the website link in the original post but XDA said that I am still too junior to post outside links. The website is called Swift Unlocks and a Google search should lead you straight to their page advertising an unlock for the G900A. I went with that site over a few others that I had previously used because they specifically said they could unlock the AT&T version. I received the code in about 10 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to morockin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2014, 03:55 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
does any one know if the att s5 will work on tmobile HSPA+ and LTE??
Last edited by orangemanbrz; 14th April 2014 at 03:59 AM.
14th April 2014, 06:58 AM |#7  
Flag Mars
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemanbrz

does any one know if the att s5 will work on tmobile HSPA+ and LTE??

depends on if you are in their 1900mhz refarmed area for HSPA+. but it will work on their LTE.

ATT S5:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...SM-G900AZKAATT
FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE
LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/17; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz;

T-mobile S5:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...SM-G900TZKATMB
FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE
LTE: Bands 1/2/3/5/7/8/4/17 HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1700/AWS/1900/2100MHz GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
Last edited by seattleboi1982; 14th April 2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added specs
The Following User Says Thank You to seattleboi1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th April 2014, 06:06 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
For what it's worth, I was able to connect to T-Mobile LTE here in DC but couldn't test the speed because I did not have any credit on that account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app
16th April 2014, 01:45 AM |#9  
Flag Laporte, IN
Thanks Meter: 635

More
Straight Talk uses AT&T towers so...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe3681 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2014, 05:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
In case you meet the requirement (i.e., 60 days for phone bought in full...), you can also use the AT&T portal to unlock the device free...

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
The Following User Says Thank You to bbtiger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2014, 04:27 PM |#11  
Flag Thousand Oaks
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Just purchases the unlock from SwiftUnlocks for my AT&T Galaxy S5. Will report back soon.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)