FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Restore Menu Button functionality (S4 style)

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By cyanprinter, Member on 28th April 2014, 06:05 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
For reasons of my own, I didn't like the app switcher functionality of the capacitive button (prefer long press instead). I wanted the left softkey to act like it did on the S4, my Note 2014, etc.

After much research, I was able to find the steps needed to make this work. No one seemed to have posted the steps before, so here we go:

1) Download a file manager with root access
2) Navigate to system>usr>keylayout and open Generic.kl in a text editor.
3) Look for key 254 and change APP_SWITCH to MENU
4) Save and reboot

A step further, to have long press activate the app switcher, will come later when I have time to check.

Credits:digitalrelic (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2690067)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cyanprinter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cyanprinter Ad-Free

28th April 2014, 06:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanprinter

For reasons of my own, I didn't like the app switcher functionality of the capacitive button (prefer long press instead). I wanted the left softkey to act like it did on the S4, my Note 2014, etc.

After much research, I was able to find the steps needed to make this work. No one seemed to have posted the steps before, so here we go:

4) Save and reboot

A step further, to have long press activate the app switcher, will come later when I have time to check.

Thanks cyanprinter,
I was looking for a solution since day 1, I didn't want to mess with xposed as some are paying here issues (in some cases) after installing it, so i wanted give it some time mature with the S5.

I'll wait until you find the solution for the recent-apps remapping so I could make the switch.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda premium
28th April 2014, 07:55 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
No problem! For the recent apps remapping, that is one more keymap change required, I just have to figure out which one. I'm trying to get AllianceRom up and running (Life sucks without CM lol) so until then I won't be able to continue.

xposed never seemed to allow me to change it, I bought it and some modules and I couldn't find anything, except one module that makes other phones with menu buttons behave like the stock S5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbnx

Thanks cyanprinter,
I was looking for a solution since day 1, I didn't want to mess with xposed as some are paying here issues (in some cases) after installing it, so i wanted give it some time mature with the S5.

I'll wait until you find the solution for the recent-apps remapping so I could make the switch.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda premium

28th April 2014, 11:20 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I'll be the guy to ask for the noons.. I just like to have my mods available in a fol
Quote:

No problem! For the recent apps remapping, that is one more keymap change required, I just have to figure out which one. I'm trying to get AllianceRom up and running (Life sucks without CM lol) so until then I won't be able to continue.

xposed never seemed to allow me to change it, I bought it and some modules and I couldn't find anything, except one module that makes other phones with menu buttons behave like the stock S5.

Can we get flashabke zips one to change and one to revert. I like to have all mods in a folder on SD so I can revert and or redo after wipe. Thanks! Lol I don't even have my s5 it'll be here by Tuesday. I've spent more time reading up waiting for it then I did the whole time I had s4.
28th April 2014, 07:44 PM |#5  
Behind you
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:

4) Save and reboot

Is key 254 the same for both APP_SWITCH and MENU? I'm going to swap some things around after a backup and see if I can get the next step for ya.

Edit: Recovery showed Key Test was 254 but wont allow to check the long press so just tried it. Swapped them in the editor.

254 - MENU
139 - APP_SWITCH

Reboot to recovery, clear cache/dalvic and still nothing, any other ideas?? Doesnt effect it at all.
Last edited by 92drls; 28th April 2014 at 07:59 PM.
28th April 2014, 08:44 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 189

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

4) Save and reboot

Awesome. I will certainly do this once you (or someone else) figure out how to have long press activate the app switcher.
29th April 2014, 03:26 AM |#7  
Flag Venice, California
Thanks Meter: 238

More
Or you could always hold press the button?

It's been a week and a half and I still can't get used to not having the menu button. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th April 2014, 05:27 AM |#8  
Flag Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Thanks Meter: 944

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKB

Can we get flashabke zips one to change and one to revert. I like to have all mods in a folder on SD so I can revert and or redo after wipe. Thanks! Lol I don't even have my s5 it'll be here by Tuesday. I've spent more time reading up waiting for it then I did the whole time I had s4.

Here you go.

Always safe to make backup before flashing anything

Mod - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8xe7vm0l8...20style%29.zip

Stock - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vna358rsw...28Stock%29.zip

---------- Post added 29th April 2014 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 28th April 2014 at 11:28 PM ----------

hmm interesting , by the looks APP_SWITCH needs to be placed around here

# samsung dummy key (common)
key 249 DUMMY_HOME1
key 250 DUMMY_HOME2
key 251 DUMMY_MENU
key 252 DUMMY_HOME
key 253 DUMMY_BACK

With MENU edit added hold key and it brings up Home screen edit , Push menu key again while thats open and App switch displays.
Im thinking line 252 needs edit I will play tomorrow
Last edited by sling; 29th April 2014 at 05:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sling For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sling Ad-Free
29th April 2014, 04:09 PM |#9  
Behind you

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling

Here you go.

Always safe to make backup before flashing anything

Mod - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8xe7vm0l8...20style%29.zip

Stock - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vna358rsw...28Stock%29.zip

---------- Post added 29th April 2014 at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 28th April 2014 at 11:28 PM ----------

hmm interesting , by the looks APP_SWITCH needs to be placed around here

# samsung dummy key (common)
key 249 DUMMY_HOME1
key 250 DUMMY_HOME2
key 251 DUMMY_MENU
key 252 DUMMY_HOME
key 253 DUMMY_BACK

With MENU edit added hold key and it brings up Home screen edit , Push menu key again while thats open and App switch displays.
Im thinking line 252 needs edit I will play tomorrow

I'd love to test and help but when I went and edited everything yesterday, things went right back to the original form after a reboot? I changed to mount SD etc but not sure what I'm missing.
29th April 2014, 04:09 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
gravity box has work fine for me since day one with alliance rom
29th April 2014, 04:59 PM |#11  
Behind you

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by losplatanos

gravity box has work fine for me since day one with alliance rom

Yes but it been known to break S-Health, among other things..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)