No registration required

Official Tether/Hotspot Thread

OP charlie-n

21st April 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35

146 posts
[NATIVE WIFI HOTSPOT]

REMEMBER TO DONATE TO THE DEVELOPER WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE @miked63017, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT ATLEAST SEND HIM A THANK YOU.

Thanks to @miked63017 CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FLASHABLE ZIP
After you download the zip place it on the main folder of your !!! INTERNAL !!! sd card.
FLash the Zip in custom recovery,, I can confirm this recovery works well
If you update PRL you will need to reflash the zip again
After reboot your native hotspot should work

[BLUETOOTH]
I can confirm Bluetooth tethering works with Foxfi/PDAnet but your limited to around 1.4 mbps, download 'Foxfi for sprint' from the playstore, download pdanet for your computer and set it up. Turn on Bluetooth dun in foxfi, right mouse click on pdanet icon on start bar in windows and select 'connect internet Bluetooth'

[WIRED TETHERING]
Tethering via cable works with Foxfi as well at Full Speed(you must have pdanet installed on your computer as well

[WIFI WIRELESS HOTSPOT] [Alternative Method] requires no system mod just root.
Download 'WiFi Tether Router' from play store (COSTS 2.99 BUT WELL WORTH IT)
Use these settings

"Originally Posted by Vwracer69

Wifi Tether Router worked for me with a sprint S5 with the following settings.

WHEN YOU FIRST CONFIGURE THE APP IT WILL WARN YOU ABOUT ANDROID 4.3/4.4 DO WHAT THE WARNING SAYS. IF YOU MISS THIS STEP YOU MUST UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE APP.

For Samsung Galaxy S5 using this config
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
"HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
"No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

(IMPORTANT) Must have wifi turned on but not connected to a network when your first start the tethering app and enable hotspot
If it doesn't work for you then troubleshoot here at the original thread

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by charlie-n; 26th April 2014 at 09:07 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charlie-n For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

146 posts
I have tried searching through list of processes in TiBu and freezing a few to no avail, has anyone come across anything interesting. I think we need to figure out what app does the provisioning first. It seems like we could learn this from a few recently released Sprint phones that have a working hotspot mod..

21st April 2014, 01:28 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 103

159 posts
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51994698

This thread's rooted wifi is working great on my sprint gs5...

Lots of good stuff in the non-specific gs5 threads...

Sent from my Rooted Sprint GS5 SM-G900P
21st April 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

146 posts
Ya I purchased that app, there seems to be problems with consistency, it also is a much more streamlined process using built in tethering
(edit)
I've gotten app to work, will post clear instructions.

Last edited by charlie-n; 21st April 2014 at 04:31 AM.
21st April 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-n

Ya I purchased that app, there seems to be problems with consistency, it also is a much more streamlined process using built in tethering
(edit)
I've gotten app to work, will post clear instructions.

I have tried everything to no avail. Please tell me exactly how you got it to work on your Sprint GS5. Thanks
21st April 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

146 posts
Have you bought the app "wifi tether router", some people just downloaded it off the internet and couldn't get it to work(which you shouldn't do), but the current play store version works so buy it and support the dev, also did you disable what the warning told you to disable when you first set up hotspot app, if not uninstall it and start over, and also you must have regular WiFi turned on on your phone and left on but not connected to any networks before you open hotspot router app

21st April 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

146 posts
Im guessing the days of freezing one app and hotspot works are behind us.
21st April 2014, 09:45 PM   |  #8  
Flag St Louis
Thanks Meter: 247

391 posts
Donate to Me
More
Posted this in other thread too:

To get the native hotspot working, you need to:
update carriers set type="default,mms,dun" where apn="n.ispsn";

in the following file:
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

This is what worked for me on Sprint North America. Just got it working today, was trying all the known tricks including rebuilding framework-res.apk with no luck. Be advised however I first used a sqlite app from the market and it added a space between mms and dun which did not work. I installed the sqlite3 binary and did that SQL command from adb shell. Can do more of a walk through if needed, let me know. I also did a few other things, and this is what I am assuming finally did the trick, if it does not work for you please let me know too

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I am also new to Sprint, is it normal for the hotspot to cutoff when you answer a phone call? Never had that on verizon so was wondering.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 01:43 AM   |  #9  
Flag St Louis

391 posts
Donate to Me
More
The wife wants the hotspot on her s5 now too, going to have to root it first but made a flashable zip to unlock the hotspot entitlement thing in the meantime. Need to have root and flash this from recovery. I have tested this on my phone where I have already unlocked it manually, and I plan on testing it on my wife's, once she charges it and I root it. Please test and let me know, I will try to update it if anybody has any suggestions.

**UPDATE**
Hotspot is now working on my wifes Sprint GS5

**UPDATE 2***

Removed zip from this thread, go here for the latest http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2727127

Doing that since I have made some updates its easier to manage in one spot.
Last edited by miked63017; 26th April 2014 at 08:54 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #10  
Flag St Louis

391 posts
Donate to Me
More
For what its worth, I am only concerned with the wifi hotspot, but there are settings in the settings.db to enable bluetooth and usb tethering as well. I have not tested as I don't have a need for them, but if anybody is interested I can dig them up and add them to the zip for testing. Let me know...

The Following User Says Thank You to miked63017 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread