Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,610 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] Is it possible to get VoLTE thru an OTA? T-Mo just did...

Tip us?

Joe0113
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,650

DONATE TO ME
Default [Discussion] Is it possible to get VoLTE thru an OTA? T-Mo just did...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789485

Maybe this can/will happen to us? Or is it Sprint phone's hardware makes it not available? Kinda confused as to how they got that thru an OTA, I thought it had to do with hardware and not software.... gave me some hope maybe we will get it someday! lol

FYI: VoLTE= being on a call and being able to use LTE data
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!

bryanu
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789485

Maybe this can/will happen to us? Or is it Sprint phone's hardware makes it not available? Kinda confused as to how they got that thru an OTA, I thought it had to do with hardware and not software.... gave me some hope maybe we will get it someday! lol

FYI: VoLTE= being on a call and being able to use LTE data
It has nothing to do with hardware.

Did WiFi calling require new hardware?

It's all software based.
So short answer, yes we COULD do it/have it, but SPRINT has to do it and support it.

FWIW the WiFi calling at the moment is using a third party provider/service sprint pays, which I find funny. The future is VoIP, you'd think the providers have they own crap together by now.

rukin1
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
It has to do with Chip Processor in our phone :/. Sprint can't do anything about it

2much data

dpwhitty11
Old
Thanks Meter 218

DONATE TO ME
The towers need the hardware/software to handle VoLTE. Our phones are all set for it, there's no special hardware. It just sends voice over LTE. The towers are on CSFB (why we lose data for calls and etc), and eventually will be made VoLTE-ready. When enough towers have it, within a year and a half or so I think, they'll push an OTA to enable it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sprint Galaxy S5 SM-G900P
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to dpwhitty11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mmark27
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwhitty11 View Post
The towers need the hardware/software to handle VoLTE. Our phones are all set for it, there's no special hardware. It just sends voice over LTE. The towers are on CSFB (why we lose data for calls and etc), and eventually will be made VoLTE-ready. When enough towers have it, within a year and a half or so I think, they'll push an OTA to enable it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Correct, buuuuuut, that won't be for a very long time. Some throw around 2017, that I've heard, but those are just guesses, I've not seen anything on a roadmap for dates. Perhaps, I'm wrong, but I wouldn't get real excited. They have to complete the 800, 1900, 2600 LTE rollout, then end of next year they'll bump to more carriers on the 2600 band (LTE-A style for mega speeds), which the S5 won't be able to accommodate BTW, then who knows.......if you want VoLTE, you probably should seek other carriers.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmark27 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CNexus
Old
(Last edited by CNexus; 6th July 2014 at 04:36 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13,560

DONATE TO ME
http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ort-svlte.html
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CNexus
Old
(Last edited by CNexus; 6th July 2014 at 05:49 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13,560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0113 View Post
What's that hafta do with the S5? lol
If the Note 3 can do it then it has nothing to do with the network as its clearly supported already, contrary to what the person above me posted. That means that it's now up to sprint to decide whether to make it available to the device via a software update or not

The thing with SVLTE is that it doesn't require any additional hardware unlike SVDO (S3 for example) which requires an additional radio.
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Scolias
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
If the Note 3 can do it then it has nothing to do with the network as its clearly supported already, contrary to what the person above me posted. That means that it's now up to sprint to decide whether to make it available to the device via a software update or not

The thing with SVLTE is that it doesn't require any additional hardware unlike SVDO (S3 for example) which requires an additional radio.
Incorrect. SVLTE (Think the S4) Does require an additional radio.

bryanu
Old
Thanks Meter 29
It's not an additional radio that's required anymore.

LTE radio exist, EVDO radio exist, thus you have one for voice and data now, though now they are on the same chip technically now.

SVDO did because it needed a radio for voice and one for the data.
With LTE we now have 2 basically.

The issue is antenna and antenna switching design.

The ability to do both was removed because it has a negative impact on reception, performance etc. when using frequencies like Sprint is. Basically you have all your antennas that are routing to a single path on the chip that goes to the radios. The SVDO had multiple paths and thus could do both.

I imagine this time next year it won't be an issue but it could still be because they will begin using spectrum aggregation which again combines everything to a single point.

It will be interesting to see how things change.

SVDO was only around for a few phone model years, but I agree it was a big overlook again. They knew it wasn't going to work but they assumed because it only existed for a few model years most people had been use to not having it, but they forget about people carrier hopping and assuming it would.

CDMA was better vs. GSM in terms of voice and security but it always had this big draw back of no voice/data together without special work arounds. Once 3G is decom like 2G was in a number of years none of this will matter.

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13,560

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by booey24 View Post
I think your getting SVLTE and VoLTE mixed up.

SVLTE uses 2 radios which the Sprint Note 3 has, but VoLTE uses 1 radio which the S5 has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolias View Post
Incorrect. SVLTE (Think the S4) Does require an additional radio.
No, it no longer requires an additional radio like the S3 did for SVDO.

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe