Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 41,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Enable Download Booster On Verizon - DETAIL INSTRUCTIONS

Tip us?

tacopimp
Old
(Last edited by tacopimp; 26th June 2014 at 02:33 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [GUIDE] Enable Download Booster On Verizon - DETAIL INSTRUCTIONS

I basically took the instructions from XDA member "chronicaust" and made them simple with 1 single download link for the service files, and links to all apps needed. People were having trouble understanding the process in the original thread. So I hope this simplifies it and makes it clear for any new people. All I did was reorganize this process and hopefully make it easier for most people. The original instructions were confusing for me... I don't take credit for developing this at all!

Confirmed working on Verizon Retail Edition

DOWNLOAD THESE:
1. ES File Explorer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
- Make sure to enable root by going to the little icon (globe with phone on it) in upper left corner > Tools > Root Explorer > On

2. Download the modified services.odex and services.jar from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qs6y60vb63...ices_files.zip

ONCE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE ABOVE:
1. Copy both modified services.odex and services.jar to your phone if you downloaded them to your computer (if you downloaded them to your phone then unzip and move to next step)
2. Copy or move the modified services.odex and services.jar to the /system folder in the root directory of the phone using ES File Explorer
3. Fix permissions on both files to rw-r-r (3 checks in first column, first check in second, rest blank)
- To fix permissions, longpress on the file and it will be checked off, then click in lower right corner: More > Properties > Change (next to permissions)
4. Copy services.JAR from the system root folder to the /system/framework folder, select overwrite.
5. Copy services.ODEX from the system root folder to the /system/framework folder, select overwrite.
6. Your phone should pause for 10-15seconds and reboot. If it doesn't reboot automatically then reboot manually.

TURNING ON DOWNLOAD BOOSTER

CREATE A SHORTCUT
1. Download AnyCut - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.anycut&hl=en
2. Open the app, and choose New Shortcut > Activity
3. Scroll down a bit (screen is blank at the top) find "Download Booster"
4. This should add a shortcut icon to your Home Screen
5. Click the shortcut you just created and you can now turn on the Download Booster.

HOW TO GET THE QUICKSETTINGS TILE
1. Download SQlite Editor - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ware.sqleditor
2. Open SQlite and then under Apps find settings storage > settings.db > system
3. In the search box search for "notification" (without quotation marks)
4. Find the following items:
notification_Panel_Active_App_List
notification_panel_default_active_app_list
notification_Panel_Active_App_List_for_Reset
5. Select on of the above items, once selected choose the pencil icon (edit)
Add NetworkBooster; to the end of the "value" field as seen in screenshot attached.
6. Once you have completed it for all 3 items above you may exit SQlite
7. Go to Settings > Notification Panel > and press Reset
7. Reboot

TESTING DOWNLOAD BOOSTER
0. Make sure you are connected to WIFI and LTE (Does not work on regular 4G or lower)
1. Open the Play Store
2. Find the app called DCIkonZ (or any app over 30 mb)
3. Install app as normal. You should get a popup saying Download Booster enabled...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-16-23-01-59.png
Views:	565
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	2817565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-16-23-02-58.png
Views:	562
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2817566  
Phone: Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
Past Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Tmobile MyTouch 4G, iPhone 3g, iPhone
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tacopimp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waleed300
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopimp View Post
I basically took the instructions from XDA member "chronicaust" and made them simple with 1 single download link for the service files, and links to all apps needed. People were having trouble understanding the process in the original thread. So I hope this simplifies it and makes it clear for any new people. All I did was reorganize this process and hopefully make it easier for most people. The original instructions were confusing for me... I don't take credit for developing this at all!

Confirmed working on Verizon Retail Edition

DOWNLOAD THESE:
1. ES File Explorer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
- Make sure to enable root by going to the little icon (globe with phone on it) in upper left corner > Tools > Root Explorer > On

2. Download the modified services.odex and services.jar from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qs6y60vb63...ices_files.zip

ONCE YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE ABOVE:
1. Copy both modified services.odex and services.jar to your phone if you downloaded them to your computer (if you downloaded them to your phone then unzip and move to next step)
2. Copy or move the modified services.odex and services.jar to the /system root folder using ES File Explorer
3. Fix permissions on both files to rw-r-r (3 checks in first column, first check in second, rest blank)
- To fix permissions, longpress on the file and it will be checked off, then click in lower right corner: More > Properties > Change (next to permissions)
4. Copy services.JAR from the system root folder to the /system/framework folder, select overwrite.
5. Copy services.ODEX from the system root folder to the /system/framework folder, select overwrite.
6. Your phone should pause for 10-15seconds and reboot. If it doesn't reboot automatically then reboot manually.

TURNING ON DOWNLOAD BOOSTER

CREATE A SHORTCUT
1. Download AnyCut - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.anycut&hl=en
2. Open the app, and choose New Shortcut > Activity
3. Scroll down a bit (screen is blank at the top) find "Download Booster"
4. This should add a shortcut icon to your Home Screen
5. Click the shortcut you just created and you can now turn on the Download Booster.

HOW TO GET THE QUICKSETTINGS TILE
1. Download SQlite Editor - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ware.sqleditor
2. Open SQlite and then under Apps find settings storage > settings.db > system
3. In the search box search for "notification" (without quotation marks)
4. Find the following items:
notification_Panel_Active_App_List
notification_panel_default_active_app_list
notification_Panel_Active_App_List_for_Reset
5. Select on of the above items, once selected choose the pencil icon (edit)
Add NetworkBooster; to the end of the "value" field as seen in screenshot attached.
6. Once you have completed it for all 3 items above you may exit SQlite
7. Go to Settings > Notification Panel > and press Reset
7. Reboot

TESTING DOWNLOAD BOOSTER
0. Make sure you are connected to WIFI and LTE (Does not work on regular 4G or lower)
1. Open the Play Store
2. Find the app called DCIkonZ (or any app over 30 mb)
3. Install app as normal. You should get a popup saying Download Booster enabled...
Thank YOU!! I couldn't figure out with the other thread, this was simple and easy to follow, just a suggestion, when you mention root system folder, it would probably make it less confusing for others if you mention that it's not the actual folder called "root" under system.
There needs to be a Cell Phone Addicts Anonymous group, I get the itch to buy every new phone that comes out, and I do (minus the fruit phone)

smashedpumpkins
Old
(Last edited by smashedpumpkins; 26th June 2014 at 01:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Well not sure what I did wrong. Copied over the the two files into the framework folder. The phone froze and rebooted as expected. It then said optimizing about 400 apps. After that finished it just kept saying "Unfortunately, Verizon Login has stopped.", "NFC Service", "com.android.phone", "Google search", "Pica something..." and several others in an endless loop. :/

EDIT: Downloading the stock Verizon tar... What a pitty. I cannot access anything.

tacopimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedpumpkins View Post
Well not sure what I did wrong. Copied over the the two files into the framework folder. The phone froze and rebooted as expected. It then said optimizing about 400 apps. After that finished it just kept saying "Unfortunately, Verizon Login has stopped.", "NFC Service", "com.android.phone", "Google search", "Pica something..." and several others in an endless loop. :/

EDIT: Downloading the stock Verizon tar... What a pitty. I cannot access anything.
Did you fix the permissions before you moved them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

smashedpumpkins
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopimp View Post
Did you fix the permissions before you moved them?

Yeah I changed the permissions for both. (Granted I ended up removing permissions?) The only thing I did that might be different from what you said is copy both files with the permissions already changed at the same time then it froze.

What's the best way/app to image my phone if I kill it again?

tacopimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedpumpkins View Post
What's the best way/app to image my phone if I kill it again?
I use titanium backup.

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 300

DONATE TO ME
I'm not sure why so many people are obsessed with enabling this feature. People like me who don't have unlimited data don't care to piss it away with "boosting" my download speeds. Plus, I don't really download anything worth needing it anyways but all the power to the rest of you
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOTED
ROM: Wizzle ROM
KERNEL:Stock
RECOVERY:SafeStrap 3.75

Galaxy S4
ROM: Eclipse ROM
KERNEL: KToonez
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.5

Before asking a question, use this:

warriorpluto
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg34 View Post
I'm not sure why so many people are obsessed with enabling this feature. People like me who don't have unlimited data don't care to piss it away with "boosting" my download speeds. Plus, I don't really download anything worth needing it anyways but all the power to the rest of you
Most everyone on this forum I'm sure still has unlimited data. I do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 300

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
Most everyone on this forum I'm sure still has unlimited data. I do.

I think most people here more like, "If I can have it, I want it" not more so the fact that they NEED it, ya know?
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOTED
ROM: Wizzle ROM
KERNEL:Stock
RECOVERY:SafeStrap 3.75

Galaxy S4
ROM: Eclipse ROM
KERNEL: KToonez
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.5

Before asking a question, use this:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennisg34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

warriorpluto
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Yea I know what your mean. It would be really useful if you can use it with any application

my feedback
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-warriorpluto

Originally Posted by xxnitro123
yee ill take screenshots... when i take a pic of the screen it doenst show in the picture because the color interferes with the light