Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Water damage - Microphone

OP mwatson

23rd March 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Basingstoke
Thanks Meter: 109

694 posts
More
I've had my One for nearly a year now and it looks like new as ive looked after it well until 7 days ago when it made its way down the toilet as it was flushing.

I put it in an airtight container full of rice for a few days. Everything is working fine apart from the microphone. Callers say they can't hear me. If I switch to speaker phone then its fine.

Question to those in the know, is this water damage likely to be permanent? Anyone have experiance of the same?

It will obviously be out of warranty now, maybe HTC will fix it for a reasonable price?
24th March 2014, 04:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 50

264 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson

I've had my One for nearly a year now and it looks like new as ive looked after it well until 7 days ago when it made its way down the toilet as it was flushing.

I put it in an airtight container full of rice for a few days. Everything is working fine apart from the microphone. Callers say they can't hear me. If I switch to speaker phone then its fine.

Question to those in the know, is this water damage likely to be permanent? Anyone have experiance of the same?

It will obviously be out of warranty now, maybe HTC will fix it for a reasonable price?

Water damage is permanent, yes, but theres always that chance that something might click and your mic will start working perfectly again.

You got lucky, since you cant take these phones apart or remove the battery, ive always felt as though water damage would completely destroy the phone.

Rice is a good way to soak up water, but its not entirely effective. I would put the phone infront a fan for a couple of hours, or even leave it outside (away from sunlight) for some time.

Download a mic testing app from the playstore, and see if it picks up any sound. I would call HTC and see how much they would charge to fix this issue. You can always just stick to using headphones or the speaker phone while in calls, and you never know, the mic might just start working again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bhavpreet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread