Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi wont stay on

Tip us?

daemorok
Old
(Last edited by daemorok; 8th August 2010 at 12:46 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wifi wont stay on

When I go into the settings to enable wifi I get the following messages back to back, either one can show up first:

"unable to save the network"
"unable to scan networks"

When this started the phone was not rooted.

I rooted the phone in an attempt to fix this.
I deleted /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf after backing it up.

This fix was suggested in the EVO forum, however it did not work for me, also the wpa_supplicant.conf was not recreated, and I was under the impression that it would be.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without doing a factory reset?

mikey98277
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemorok View Post
When I go into the settings to enable wifi I get the following messages back to back, either one can show up first:

"unable to save the network"
"unable to scan networks"

When this started the phone was not rooted.

I rooted the phone in an attempt to fix this.
I deleted /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf after backing it up.

This fix was suggested in the EVO forum, however it did not work for me, also the wpa_supplicant.conf was not recreated, and I was under the impression that it would be.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without doing a factory reset?
Now that you are rooted, i would say do a nandroid backup, then do a factory reset to see if that fixes your issue, if not, then you have a backup to restore to incase it does not work, if it does, then your good to go, if not restore and you are no worse off.
If I help you please hit the thanks button!

Phone: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S III
ROM: STOCK
Radio: STOCK
Recovery: STOCK

Old Phones:
Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S II (Died)
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Retired)
HTC Inspire 4G(Retired)
Samsung Vibrant (Retired)
Samsung Captivate (Died)
G1 (Retired)

"GOOGLE now controls my entire life...and I'm loving it!!!"

os2baba
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey98277 View Post
Now that you are rooted, i would say do a nandroid backup, then ...
How do you do a NANDROID backup? Using Koush's recovery image? I saw initial unstability issues so didn't bother with it. I'm still hoping to see Amon Ra's recovery.

koreanjhee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
oh jeez i'm glad this thread is here. I have the exact same problem now. I don't remember anything significant enough to screw up the wifi, but I did use XBMC and Allshare as a trial run and it worked fine and I was amazed.
The next day the wifi is gone and 'unable to scan networks' gets on.

Can somebody help with this issue?

I will nandroid back soon and see how it goes down.
Device:
SAMSUNG Galaxy S [-T---Mobile Vibrant] :
| Rooted | Stock : Android Eclair 2.1| SD : Sandisk 8GB Class2 |
| Recovery : ClockWorkMOD | SPL : Original |

SAMSUNG Galaxy S

mikey98277
Old
(Last edited by mikey98277; 11th August 2010 at 04:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post
How do you do a NANDROID backup? Using Koush's recovery image? I saw initial unstability issues so didn't bother with it. I'm still hoping to see Amon Ra's recovery.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734164

that is a link to the how to, just follow the first post, once you have clockwork recovery installed do a nandroid back up through ROM Manager,(if that is the koush recovery you said you had your set, just install the app) try a factory reset after backup and see if that fixes your problem, if it does then your set, if it does not fix it, then you can always do a restore and it will put your phone right back to how you had it when you did the back up.

Just ensure that you dont partition your sdcard with the rom manager, it will wipe your whole phone internal sdcard, not the external one, you should have no reason to do this anyways, just wanted to let you know not to try for fun. as it is not one of the steps to backup or restore anyways.
If I help you please hit the thanks button!

Phone: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S III
ROM: STOCK
Radio: STOCK
Recovery: STOCK

Old Phones:
Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S II (Died)
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Retired)
HTC Inspire 4G(Retired)
Samsung Vibrant (Retired)
Samsung Captivate (Died)
G1 (Retired)

"GOOGLE now controls my entire life...and I'm loving it!!!"

merophosis
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I had the same problem and found that the problem seems to stem from Allshare. I used it briefly and disconnected from WiFi, later that night, I enabled WiFi and had this problem. Today I opened Allshare and it prompted me to turn on WiFi, I was redirected to the WiFi menu and attempted to turn it on again. Of course it failed the first time, but I repeated this process of opening Allshare and pressing "Back" when it tried to redirect me to the WiFi menu. Doing this two or three times somehow managed to get my WiFi finally to recognize and now it all works. I would say, that if anyone is to run into this issue, I think it's Allshare related. This is what I did to fix it, hope it helps.

koreanjhee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for that. i'll go try it out
Device:

SAMSUNG Galaxy S

koreanjhee
Old
Thanks Meter 0
None of that works. Does any developers or anyone with some experience have any advice or fixes? Much appreciated.

Sent from my Vibrant, Samsung
Device:

SAMSUNG Galaxy S

merophosis
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreanjhee View Post
None of that works. Does any developers or anyone with some experience have any advice or fixes? Much appreciated.

Sent from my Vibrant, Samsung
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Allshare or XBMC. I think it has something to do with the phone having to scan a network for other devices to obtain indexes. When I was messing with allshare, I disabled the wifi in the middle of the phone attempting to scan my network for my media servers. That's the only thing I did, so it's the only thing that could have caused my issue. When I opened allshare again it asked me to enable wifi, I received the error a couple of more times then after a few times it fixed itself, which led me to believe that it was allshare that caused the issue to begin with. I'm hoping that samsung is aware of this bug.

KerryG
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Same issue, first time I restored a Nandroid backup to get things rolling again. This time I was testing a new DLNA server at home with AllShare, since then Wifi wont stay on. I have sent a message to Samsung support about it. Rebooting doesn't seem to help, not sure how to do a workaround.

Best thing is to go into AllShare, make sure Wifi is on, wait a few seconds and then go to home screen. Usually after a few tries the Wifi setting will stick.