Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

why change ASF material on Z ultra?

Tip us?

zzcool
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Default why change ASF material on Z ultra?

Sk this makes me very sad but i can't be sad about it as it is ENTIRELY my fault, so i got a z ultra eventually fell in love with it's the design everything, it was my baby as i already own a z1 i had already planned to peel the anti shatter proof film off it just makes it look cleaner with no logo, my z1's film was as simple as that to peel off.

i had also managed to scratch this film when writing on it with a pen AS you are supposed to do, anyway i expected a quick and easy carefully push a needle under then drag as easy as that.

When i tried i got a big chunk that i was able to use to peel it off, so i tried then it just dissappared i wonderd what happaned, so i kept on trying untill i finally managed to discover that the film litterally breaks into pieces as i had already begun the freak of nature operation i couldn't stop.

So i spent over 4 hours carefully pushing a needle under every bit of film not breaking it, once i was done i was faced with IMPOSSIBLE glue so i started panicking, but i read aceton does the trick so i asked my dad if we had it we didn't but he had a different slightly stronger color removal solution, so i used it and the glue came off quite well the screen was shiny after getting most of it off but the edges (too scared to go there as this stuff melts plastic)

Anyway i cleaned my phone with a tiiiny bit of soup and some fairly warm water, good as new untill i noticed with horror that i had managed to make 3 small tiiiiny line scratches only visible under a light and when the screen is off.

So here comes the panick, i wish i didn't do this i really do, but how was i supposed to know they changed this? and how the heck do you scratch a dragontrail glass screen using a normal needle, i did use some moderate maybe hard force and slowly scraped the screen but there was a huge layer of glue ontop of it.

I feel like crying but i DID not know, makes me think sony did this just to punish people removing this film

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 923

DONATE TO ME
Yep from all accounts it is a right dog to get the ASF off our Ultras, the best way I have seen is a little heat (hair-dryer?) a razor and acetone.
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

zzcool
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether View Post
Yep from all accounts it is a right dog to get the ASF off our Ultras, the best way I have seen is a little heat (hair-dryer?) a razor and acetone.
what do i do about the scratches my ocd is crying and panicking will a liquid glass protection make the scratches invisible i am so sad

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 923

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcool View Post
what do i do about the scratches my ocd is crying and panicking will a liquid glass protection make the scratches invisible i am so sad
Pass.

You could try not to try and catch the light on the screen when it's off
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

mathurmatt
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Think not the liquid glass protector will not make the scratches gone .....but you could do one thing order a new asf from aliexpress put it carefully on cause it's very difficult here's a video of z1 ............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toIEvqsPSHY
and after that don't know mess up your phone bootloader or something hard brick it and return it to sony they will give you a new one that's what I did when I scratched my Z1 while removing the asf.........you had to have very careful while installing the asf it is very difficult procedure i mess up two asf's the third one was golden for me ...................

shook187
Old
Thanks Meter 808
If the OP would have read upon removing the ASF, he would have known just how difficult and time-consuming it is. I personally refuse to take on this task and just put on a high quality screen protector on.

zzcool
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
here comes the panick if only life was nicer to me

it seems to me that the glass has moved theres a tiny opening at the bottom you can fit a needle in it it is between the edge of the glass and the frame

so the horror story of accidently pushing down that strong liquid comes to mind but from what i remember i pretty much stayed away from the edges as i didn't want the plastic to melt so WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

it seems the waterproofing is still intact though i have cleaned this phone several times without noticing any problems but yeah i am about to lose it i am i really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really AM!

please tell me it's supposed to be open a little at the bottom compared to the top where it's sealed shut

here comes the tears i WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THIS KIND OF THING IF I KNEW THEY HAD CHANGED EVERYTHING!

the film was scratched from using a pen on it

WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO ME WHY CAN'T THINGS GO RIGHT IN MY LIFE EVER EVER EVER EVER GO RIGHT

i hate myself so much my poor baby i loved that phone i got it on sale so it wasn't a 600$ loss but a 200 or so

i hate my life in more ways you can imagine

shook187
Old
Thanks Meter 808
Quote:
here comes the panick if only life was nicer to me

it seems to me that the glass has moved theres a tiny opening at the bottom you can fit a needle in it it is between the edge of the glass and the frame

so the horror story of accidently pushing down that strong liquid comes to mind but from what i remember i pretty much stayed away from the edges as i didn't want the plastic to melt so WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

it seems the waterproofing is still intact though i have cleaned this phone several times without noticing any problems but yeah i am about to lose it i am i really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really AM!

please tell me it's supposed to be open a little at the bottom compared to the top where it's sealed shut

here comes the tears i WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THIS KIND OF THING IF I KNEW THEY HAD CHANGED EVERYTHING!

the film was scratched from using a pen on it

WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO ME WHY CAN'T THINGS GO RIGHT IN MY LIFE EVER EVER EVER EVER GO RIGHT

i hate myself so much my poor baby i loved that phone i got it on sale so it wasn't a 600$ loss but a 200 or so

i hate my life in more ways you can imagine
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Following User Says Thank You to shook187 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zzcool
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook187 View Post
you have no idea how right you are

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 923

DONATE TO ME
Post a pic of the bottom edge. My glass is ever so slightly lower and to the right

Sent from my Xperia Z Ultra using Tapatalk
Charles