Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,116 Members 43,757 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Splashtop Anywhere Access Pack FREE! sort of.

Tip us?

m03m1x
Old
(Last edited by overground; 17th July 2014 at 10:21 PM.) Reason: Adding a Video link to show my concept working
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Smile Splashtop Anywhere Access Pack FREE! sort of.

How to Play Hardware Accelerated Games over the Air on an iOS Device.
Splashtop Anywhere Access Pack FREE! sort of.

This I made because i was a little infuriated Splashtop was going to charge
a recurring fee rather than a one time fee for their hardware accelerated RDP software.
So the only thing i could think of was VPN! Trick splashtop into thinking i was at home
(or where ever your graphic accelerated monster is) so i could play and heres how.

Requirements:
-Splashtop (there are two versions one for iphone/ipod, one for ipad. purchase correctly)
-Windows 7 computer (doesnt have to be but its what i used)
-Router Access (required to forward a port, 1723, for VPN)

For those who want to use this for Over the Air. Be aware of these factors please.
-You may be using data, this will use ALOT of data.
-This will use your home connections bandwith.
--Keep an eye on your home internets usage.
--it will slow down the connection for other users on it, unless its has alot of bandwith.

Let's Begin.

1. Install Splashtop on your iOS device
2. Go to "Network and Sharing Center"
3. On the left click "Change Adapter Settings"
4. Click " File" and select "New Incoming Connection" ( if you dont see "File" in the top left hit Alt once ).
5. Tell it who may connect ( I suggest creating a custom user or use the one thats listed ).
6. Just hit next through everything until done.
7. Now this part we must port forward. Depending on wether your computers LAN IP changes or not you may need to manually set it.
8. Moving on. Forward port 1723 to your LAN IP found by double clicking "Local Area Connection" icon on that same window.
9. Now we find our IP, google "What is my IP" wam boom bam, you got your IP.
10. Go to your iDevice and go to Settings.
11. Go to VPN
12. Add New
13. PPTP
14. input info, RSA SecurID off. Encryption Level to Auto. Send All the Traffic baby.
15. If done correctly you may now connecto to your home network from anywhere on any network your on.
16. This means splashtop will think your on the same router and allow you to play or work graphic accelerated.

-moeiscool

I made this tut no jacking please.

EDIT:

Heres a YouTube watchlink of it working:

kinda nooby video taking skills but what ever i just wanted to show you guys it working.
The Following User Says Thank You to m03m1x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sarthak1305
Old
Thanks Meter 0
please elaborate steps 4 to 9.

sengook
Old
(Last edited by sengook; 31st May 2013 at 07:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
You sir are brilliant lol... or more like I'm dumb I completely forgot about just using VPN with this even though it's setup already *facepalm*

coolpepp
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I already bought splashtop, the company is full of deceptive liars. I would love to get this working on my andoid device. Has anyone actually got this to work. Are they blocking this?

antooonn
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great guide. Thanks!

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 783
Huh? I play FEAR, Skyrim and Anno 1404 over Splashtop THD every day in the train, never noticed anything about additional payments

Edit: Oh. Right. No, forget I said anything. I momentarily forgot where I got Splashtop from...
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

m03m1x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthak1305 View Post
please elaborate steps 4 to 9.
Steps 4 - 6 Are to setup VPN on a Windows machine that has the Packages installed for it. (i used Windows 7 Ultimate, so i had the VPN feature built into my windows)

4. Click " File" and select "New Incoming Connection" ( if you dont see "File" in the top left hit Alt once ).
(this part if for Windows users, it is in the "Network Connections" folder... basically the list where your network adapters show. [ie: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, etc.])

5. Tell it who may connect ( I suggest creating a custom user or use the one thats listed ).
(This is a step after you have selected "Connect Through the Internet", for me there is no other option)

7. Now this part we must port forward. Depending on wether your computers LAN IP changes or not you may need to manually set it.
(This is done in the Network adapters menu and right-clicking the main network adapter and clicking properties and double clicking "internet Protocol Version 4" in the list.)

8. Moving on. Forward port 1723 to your LAN IP found by double clicking "Local Area Connection" icon on that same window.
(This is done in your router settings, the IP for this should be your local Gateway IP)

funkymunk50
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m03m1x View Post
Steps 4 - 6 Are to setup VPN on a Windows machine that has the Packages installed for it. (i used Windows 7 Ultimate, so i had the VPN feature built into my windows)

(this part if for Windows users, it is in the "Network Connections" folder... basically the list where your network adapters show. [ie: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, etc.])

(This is a step after you have selected "Connect Through the Internet", for me there is no other option)

(This is done in the Network adapters menu and right-clicking the main network adapter and clicking properties and double clicking "internet Protocol Version 4" in the list.)

(This is done in your router settings, the IP for this should be your local Gateway IP)

Yeah I still don't get it. Please help me.

rester555
Old
Thanks Meter 3
So I followed your tutorial and getting PPTP VPN is A PAIN IN THE ASS. Aside from that I got it working. I am having another issue that maybe you can help me out with. On my galaxy nexus, I connect to the VPN over my 4g LTE connection on my phone. Once I connect to my VPN and log into Splashtop 2, I can't reach splashtop servers. Do any of you guys have this same problem?

Am I missing something?

duceduc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am out of ideas why I can't connect to my Windows 7 vpn host from my iphone 4 running on ios6.1.2. I've doubled checked my settings and open ports, but I can't seem to get my iphone to connect to my vpn.

I can; however, connect if I am connected to my network AND using my local ip address. But, I cannot connect using my external address while being connected to the same network or 3G.

Port 1723 tcp is forwarded and I have verify it by checking with an online port checker. Can someone suggest what else I need to check or enable? I have also tried disabling windows firewall and my virus program to no available.