Ask a question

No registration required

(Q) GSM settings on VZN

OP jrgilbert79

28th September 2013, 03:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 160

530 posts
Is there any reason that the VZN rom had greyed out GSM settings. Does this mean that there are antennas that can be enabled with drivers or a SIM from ATT or TMobile?

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th September 2013, 01:43 AM   |  #2  
Flag Conley
Thanks Meter: 293

1,890 posts
More
The phone is a world phone which means you can put in any gsm SIM card and it will work with the Bands that the phone is equipped with. I have used it on T-Mobile and metropcs successfully so far.

Also the area is greyed out because Verizon doesn't have a gsm network for cellular use. Yet. Their LTE is deployed over gsm but it is data only.

29th September 2013, 04:06 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 50

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbailey1986

The phone is a world phone which means you can put in any gsm SIM card and it will work with the Bands that the phone is equipped with. I have used it on T-Mobile and metropcs successfully so far.

Also the area is greyed out because Verizon doesn't have a gsm network for cellular use. Yet. Their LTE is deployed over gsm but it is data only.

you getting 4g and lte or 4g?
29th September 2013, 04:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag Conley

1,890 posts
More
I get 4g h+ where T-Mobile has upgraded their towers.

29th September 2013, 06:53 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 776

1,890 posts
Verizon would have GSM settings grayed out because it is not applicable to their network at all. The phone would come carrier locked so if you pop a sim card in from say TMobile then the phone still wont work. However if you were to unlock the phone (currently illegal last I heard, might change in a year or so though) it should theoretically work on ATT and TMobile and other GSM networks, although you may or may not have to manually input APN settings to get the network data working. The stock Verizon ROM though may also not include drivers for activating those radios bands wither, IDK if that is something they would do or not. All the versions of this phone use the Snapdragon 800 chipset, which has built in radios that can hit basically any network's frequency in the world.
29th September 2013, 12:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag Conley

1,890 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987

Verizon would have GSM settings grayed out because it is not applicable to their network at all. The phone would come carrier locked so if you pop a sim card in from say TMobile then the phone still wont work. However if you were to unlock the phone (currently illegal last I heard, might change in a year or so though) it should theoretically work on ATT and TMobile and other GSM networks, although you may or may not have to manually input APN settings to get the network data working. The stock Verizon ROM though may also not include drivers for activating those radios bands wither, IDK if that is something they would do or not. All the versions of this phone use the Snapdragon 800 chipset, which has built in radios that can hit basically any network's frequency in the world.

This is completely and I mean completely wrong! ALL VERIZON LTE PHONES ARE UNLOCKED...... Which is why they are called world phones because you can,travel the world with them switching SIM cards and still have Verizon. I personally have done this with gs4, note2, droid maxx, motox, and now the lgg2

The Following User Says Thank You to craigbailey1986 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th September 2013, 05:24 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 776

1,890 posts
Quote:

This is completely and I mean completely wrong! ALL VERIZON LTE PHONES ARE UNLOCKED...... Which is why they are called world phones because you can,travel the world with them switching SIM cards and still have Verizon. I personally have done this with gs4, note2, droid maxx, motox, and now the lgg2

Well at most only a small part of what I said is wrong so thanks for trying to correct me in in a very dickish way. Unfortunately you are also wrong, not all Verizon phones come unlocked from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaltrends.com

AT&T will let you unlock your device permanently, provided your contract has already expired. AT&T customers still on contract may unlock their devices up to five times per year (for international travel purposes), as long as they don’t owe any past-due amount on their accounts, and have been a customer for 60 days or more.

Verizon sells all iPhone 5s unlocked, meaning you could take your device over to AT&T or T-Mobile without having to unlock the device. But other devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S3, are locked by Verizon. However, like AT&T, customers in good standing can request to have their devices unlocked for international travel.

Sprint does not offer unlocked devices, but it will allow customers to unlock their devices for travel after three months with the carrier.

Last edited by EniGmA1987; 29th September 2013 at 06:23 PM.
29th September 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #8  
Flag Conley

1,890 posts
More
All verizon LTE devices are unlocked out the box... wasn't being a. .... despite your assumptions the gs3 is unlocked so is all their world phones. And I never said all their phones were unlocked I stated all lte devices which are world phones are unlocked out the box. I currently have every phone that has come out since the gs3 and all work on T-Mobile with no call to verizon. But I am not going to argue about it. My apologies to the op simply stating what I know is true...

8th April 2014, 08:31 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Use a vzw on at&t
Quote:

All verizon LTE devices are unlocked out the box... wasn't being a. .... despite your assumptions the gs3 is unlocked so is all their world phones. And I never said all their phones were unlocked I stated all lte devices which are world phones are unlocked out the box. I currently have every phone that has come out since the gs3 and all work on T-Mobile with no call to verizon. But I am not going to argue about it. My apologies to the op simply stating what I know is true...

Can you use a vs980 vzw lg g2 on at&t's network have it work properly and get 4g lte coverage?
9th April 2014, 12:16 AM   |  #10  
Flag TR, NJ
Thanks Meter: 42

316 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickert23

Can you use a vs980 vzw lg g2 on at&t's network have it work properly and get 4g lte coverage?

The Verizon G2 supports the LTE bands 4 and 13.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread