Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,178 Members 52,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Warranty lol...

Tip us?

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default Warranty lol...

So drop my note 3 from about one foot off the ground... lands solid face down... no case or screen protector... cracks the screen almost from corner to corner. Took out the warranty for once... happy I did that. So paid 175 and yay phone next day... no... not quite... 2 days later no updates. Call and the note 3 is on backorder and should have one in a week. I heard the note 3 was fragile.... but really? This is more of just a sharing of my experience than anything but I just hope they take it without caring that the knox flag is tripped.

kgbeezr1
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Face down is the worst way any phone can land, regardless of distance. It's not really much of a relative barometer of durability. Insurance shouldn't care that the Knox flag is tripped, assuming you actually mean insurance.

dragonstalker
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1224

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00 View Post
So drop my note 3 from about one foot off the ground... lands solid face down... no case or screen protector... cracks the screen almost from corner to corner. Took out the warranty for once... happy I did that. So paid 175 and yay phone next day... no... not quite... 2 days later no updates. Call and the note 3 is on backorder and should have one in a week. I heard the note 3 was fragile.... but really? This is more of just a sharing of my experience than anything but I just hope they take it without caring that the knox flag is tripped.
I've heard these issues with both the Note 3 and the GS4. Was worried about getting both of them. My wife has GS4, of course you know what i have. I Have a N3 Flip cover, and have dropped it. Funny enough the flip cover always manages to open on the way down. I have a dent in the metal frame, and have dropped it hard enough that the flip cover came off and the battery popped out, but no damage to the screen. But i do have the invisi shield on it, so maybe that is the difference.

--HTC One (M*8)
--Note 10.1 2k4
-Recovery: TWRP
-Recovery: TWRP
-ROM: NV M8 RLS2
-ROM: xKat V3.2
-Kernel: ?
-Kernel: Bindroid V3

Blog: MobileEscape.blogspot.com

Retired: Behold, G1, MT Fender, MT3G Slide, Vibrant, N1, HD2 (android-Froyo), Viewsonic G-Tablet, AT&T SE Xperia X10i, Samsung Galaxy Tab; HTC Inspire, HTC Sensation, Droid Charge, MYTOUCH4G , Thunderbolt, Droid DNA (traded), Note 2, HTC Rezound, Note 3 (jumped)

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeezr1 View Post
Face down is the worst way any phone can land, regardless of distance. It's not really much of a relative barometer of durability. Insurance shouldn't care that the Knox flag is tripped, assuming you actually mean insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonstalker View Post
I've heard these issues with both the Note 3 and the GS4. Was worried about getting both of them. My wife has GS4, of course you know what i have. I Have a N3 Flip cover, and have dropped it. Funny enough the flip cover always manages to open on the way down. I have a dent in the metal frame, and have dropped it hard enough that the flip cover came off and the battery popped out, but no damage to the screen. But i do have the invisi shield on it, so maybe that is the difference.
Whatever insurance I pay for with the jump thing. Really wasn't so big on the idea since I sell my devices... and just buy new ones... but I was like whatever this is knew Ill give it a shot and see what I think.

The face down drop was just payback for me trying to ride my kids big wheel racer thing (like a tricycle with the front tire being very large). Girlfriend was following behind me and I didn't even stop to get my phone(possibly ran over it) and just yelled back joking "how bad is it?" thinking at worst it would be a screen scratch... She then shows me when we get to the car and I was like... well that sucks.. thought was its already broken so no point in getting upset now... especially since I was the one that broke it.

I have dropped it one other time and it hit the corner(dented the plastic a little) where this crack continued to... so just guessing I weakened the glass and the just the face down flop was enough to finish it off.

Limeybastard
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Whatever insurance I pay for with the jump thing. Really wasn't so big on the idea since I sell my devices... and just buy new ones... but I was like whatever this is knew Ill give it a shot and see what I think.

The face down drop was just payback for me trying to ride my kids big wheel racer thing (like a tricycle with the front tire being very large). Girlfriend was following behind me and I didn't even stop to get my phone(possibly ran over it) and just yelled back joking "how bad is it?" thinking at worst it would be a screen scratch... She then shows me when we get to the car and I was like... well that sucks.. thought was its already broken so no point in getting upset now... especially since I was the one that broke it.

I have dropped it one other time and it hit the corner(dented the plastic a little) where this crack continued to... so just guessing I weakened the glass and the just the face down flop was enough to finish it off.
There was another guy here ordering a brand new note 3 and he said it was on back order. Looks like you are probably getting a brand new unit then?

Sorry about the dropping, I always want to go without case as I like the feel of the phone naked, but know for a fact I will drop it without a case LOL Even though I have not yet dropped mine since it was released october 3rd.

xile6
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Try not to drop your phone lol.

But really after the s2 the s line has gotten crap and break easy from drops.
I my friend has drop so many phones it's not even funny.
He said the s2 last the longest. Drop and no cracks. Power button pop off lol.
His s3 broke and the battery back rubs a hold in it from normal use.
His girl had a s4 and it shatter from falling.

But again all no cases or screen protectors.
I do my best to not drop a phone because now a days there build like eggs.
I remember in the old days you could throw a phone at someone, knock them out then pick it up and call someone lol.
if im wrong tell me. I'd ratter be correct then live life being mislead.
Phone:Note 3 NF1 rooted and stock Knox 0x0

Other Phone(s): T-mobile G1 < HTC Vision G2 < LG-P999 G2x < T989 S2 < HTC One m7 < Note 3

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
There was another guy here ordering a brand new note 3 and he said it was on back order. Looks like you are probably getting a brand new unit then?

Sorry about the dropping, I always want to go without case as I like the feel of the phone naked, but know for a fact I will drop it without a case LOL Even though I have not yet dropped mine since it was released october 3rd.
I hope its a new Note3. Ill take a refurb but still prefer new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Try not to drop your phone lol.

But really after the s2 the s line has gotten crap and break easy from drops.
I my friend has drop so many phones it's not even funny.
He said the s2 last the longest. Drop and no cracks. Power button pop off lol.
His s3 broke and the battery back rubs a hold in it from normal use.
His girl had a s4 and it shatter from falling.

But again all no cases or screen protectors.
I do my best to not drop a phone because now a days there build like eggs.
I remember in the old days you could throw a phone at someone, knock them out then pick it up and call someone lol.

Well after such a good experience with the Note2 I decided to try case free... that has now stopped. Have a case and screen protector ready for the new one.

After the quick break on this one I am probably going to be selling the replacement one.... unsure if it will be replaced with a s5 or sony z1s. Thats a topic for another day and a lot more research.

Limeybastard
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Wait for Sony z2s with massive screen phablet love.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Wait for Sony z2s with massive screen phablet love.

I cycle a lot..... really a lot... so carrying a note 3 in my jersey is a slight hassle and wont fit in my saddle bag.

I am wanting a large note3 like phone and then a compact high end phone... I had a N5 and it was all good except the battery life left me with a dead phone on heavy use days. The note3 has never failed me on that one.

Limeybastard
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
I cycle a lot..... really a lot... so carrying a note 3 in my jersey is a slight hassle and wont fit in my saddle bag.

I am wanting a large note3 like phone and then a compact high end phone... I had a N5 and it was all good except the battery life left me with a dead phone on heavy use days. The note3 has never failed me on that one.
Wish I could cycle or walk more. Put on 20 pounds since I stopped all exercise since December. Shame on me.