Post Reply

CM 10.2 "stable" build crashing

OP stjake

19th March 2014, 05:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I love Cyanogenmod, very much so. I downloaded the stable 10.1 build for my phone and it was mostly rock solid. When 10.2.1 come around I was pumped. I downloaded it and immediately encountered force closes out the bum. I switched back and a month later tried again. It was a slightly better experience as I realized I forgot to flash the 4.3 Gapps with my original attempt, but force closes cluttered my screen daily. I want to be able to upgrade, but the ROM just seems completely unstable for my phone. Has anyone experienced these things on their phone? Has anyone fixed these problems? Can anyone recommend the most stable and most up-to-date ROM even though stable and up-to-date rarely go hand in hand.
19th March 2014, 01:26 PM   |  #2  
CWGSM3VO's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 216
 
738 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjake

I love Cyanogenmod, very much so. I downloaded the stable 10.1 build for my phone and it was mostly rock solid. When 10.2.1 come around I was pumped. I downloaded it and immediately encountered force closes out the bum. I switched back and a month later tried again. It was a slightly better experience as I realized I forgot to flash the 4.3 Gapps with my original attempt, but force closes cluttered my screen daily. I want to be able to upgrade, but the ROM just seems completely unstable for my phone. Has anyone experienced these things on their phone? Has anyone fixed these problems? Can anyone recommend the most stable and most up-to-date ROM even though stable and up-to-date rarely go hand in hand.

Look in the CM11 thread, the nightlies are pretty stable for the most part and most us using it use it as a daily driver. You MUST perform a full wipe when installing a ROM, even when moving between point releases. If not, you'll encounter problems. GApps must also be flashed after the ROM has been flashed (assuming you want to use Google)
The Following User Says Thank You to CWGSM3VO For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGSM3VO

Look in the CM11 thread, the nightlies are pretty stable for the most part and most us using it use it as a daily driver. You MUST perform a full wipe when installing a ROM, even when moving between point releases. If not, you'll encounter problems. GApps must also be flashed after the ROM has been flashed (assuming you want to use Google)

Yeah I figured that I need to wipe everything and install the proper GApps after my first attempt at 10.2 which to my credit I did do on my second try. Is there a particular nightly release that seems more stable than the rest? To put this in more context, I travel alone from college to various other places often a bit and my college is situated in almost a black hole of service for Verizon so I tend to take reliability over cutting edge even though I very badly want the newest and greatest. I'm on spring break so I'll try the newest nightly and back up my phone. Luckily I have a ton of space on my phone so I can always have a stable back up ready to be flashed on the fly.
19th March 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #4  
CWGSM3VO's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 216
 
738 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjake

Yeah I figured that I need to wipe everything and install the proper GApps after my first attempt at 10.2 which to my credit I did do on my second try. Is there a particular nightly release that seems more stable than the rest? To put this in more context, I travel alone from college to various other places often a bit and my college is situated in almost a black hole of service for Verizon so I tend to take reliability over cutting edge even though I very badly want the newest and greatest. I'm on spring break so I'll try the newest nightly and back up my phone. Luckily I have a ton of space on my phone so I can always have a stable back up ready to be flashed on the fly.

By their very nature, Nightlies are not considered stable in the strictest sense of the word. For most of us, they have been. But if you need reliability over cutting-edge, I'd stick with 10.2 or one of the CM11 Milestone builds (however, the RAZR HD only has one that I know of, CM11-M2).

My personal take is that given you're in an area with poor reception, choosing CM11 over CM10.2 (for example) wouldn't give you any better results over the other. Signal is signal.

My suggestion, given your circumstances and criteria, would be to stick with 10.2 but do a FULL backup via Recovery of your stock ROM (or whatever you're using instead of CyanognMod) and then do a FULL wipe of the following (and only these):

- user data
- /system partition
- /cache partition
- dalvik cache (usually found under Advanced in CWM recoveries)

Your phone will be in an unusable state after this. From here, still in Recovery, flash CM10.2 and then the appropriate GApps (make sure you choose the right one; a 4.4.2 GApps isn't suitable for a 4.3 OS) and reboot. If memory serves, CM10.2 is Android 4.3.1

If you're still having problems, you can restore your backup in Recovery or worst case, RSDLite the appropriate SBF for your phone to return to the carrier-stock ROM. But be aware if you chose the RSDLite path, you will lose everything. Basically it'll be like day-1 when you got the phone
Last edited by CWGSM3VO; 19th March 2014 at 06:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CWGSM3VO For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2014, 11:59 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Unroot help!!!
Hi I am trying to figure out how to unroot my Droid Razr HD...I bought it used from my buddy who upgraded and before we met up to make the deal I didn't know till after; that he rooted it and won't tell me how to unroot. I have only ever rooted one phone with his help and that was my thunderbolt. This phone is running CM 11-20140218-NIGHTLY-xt926. I want to bring it back to stock rom but have yet to find anyway to do that...it would be awesome if you guys could help me!!
24th March 2014, 12:58 AM   |  #6  
RikRong's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 438
 
1,218 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanevox

Hi I am trying to figure out how to unroot my Droid Razr HD...I bought it used from my buddy who upgraded and before we met up to make the deal I didn't know till after; that he rooted it and won't tell me how to unroot. I have only ever rooted one phone with his help and that was my thunderbolt. This phone is running CM 11-20140218-NIGHTLY-xt926. I want to bring it back to stock rom but have yet to find anyway to do that...it would be awesome if you guys could help me!!

Find the FXZ you want to flash and use RSD or House of Moto to flash it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cyanogen 10.2, razr hd maxx, xt926, xt926 roms
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in RAZR HD Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank