Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 39,519 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

iPhone Notifications on Gear via Growl ?

Tip us?

Accounti
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default iPhone Notifications on Gear via Growl ?

Hi,

Just got the Galaxy Gear. Everything is setup with the null rom and I'm thinking about all the different ways to put notifications on it.
The first way i think would be to develop an app on the iPhone just like the pebble the problem is that most people who own a Gear don't have an iphone and vice versa. But maybe by faking the bluetooth profile of the gear on the iPhone and developing an app that would redirect notifications to the Gear we could do something.

Another way would be maybe to use Growlnotifier on the iPhone and growl for android on the Gear. With the first one you can redirect notifications from the iphone to a Growl Client via the IP Adress. What i don't know is if there is some kind of local network created between the gear and the iphone via bluetooth ? if not even when bluetooth internet tethering is on ?

I started to look the different ways but i need more help on this. if fOmey or anyone else could help that is motivated and has some knowledge about all this stuff that would be great !

Thanking you in advance

fOmey
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounti View Post
Hi,

Just got the Galaxy Gear. Everything is setup with the null rom and I'm thinking about all the different ways to put notifications on it.
The first way i think would be to develop an app on the iPhone just like the pebble the problem is that most people who own a Gear don't have an iphone and vice versa. But maybe by faking the bluetooth profile of the gear on the iPhone and developing an app that would redirect notifications to the Gear we could do something.

Another way would be maybe to use Growlnotifier on the iPhone and growl for android on the Gear. With the first one you can redirect notifications from the iphone to a Growl Client via the IP Adress. What i don't know is if there is some kind of local network created between the gear and the iphone via bluetooth ? if not even when bluetooth internet tethering is on ?

I started to look the different ways but i need more help on this. if fOmey or anyone else could help that is motivated and has some knowledge about all this stuff that would be great !

Thanking you in advance
If you could code a application which would push notifications from your iPhone to the gear using bluetooth, you will have a functional notification system..

This would involved both a app on the gear & the iPhone tho... so keep that in mind.

HELPFUL POST? HIT THANKS !

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?

GTA V FORUM :: MODS, GLITCHES & BOOSTING SERVICES

Accounti
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey View Post
If you could code a application which would push notifications from your iPhone to the gear using bluetooth, you will have a functional notification system..

This would involved both a app on the gear & the iPhone tho... so keep that in mind.
The gear would need an app too ?! do you know which bluetooth protocol does it use ? MAP ?
Ok, so it would be a Growl-Like solution. Do you know if when connected over bluetooth the gear and the iPhone have some kind of IP adress ?

tomlol
Old
Thanks Meter 0
*watching*

gidi
Old
Thanks Meter 20
A growl like IP based solution is not optimal. Direct BT communication would be preferable for a number of reasons.

Accounti
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi View Post
A growl like IP based solution is not optimal. Direct BT communication would be preferable for a number of reasons.
Yeah, I understand but let's start with a non-optimal solution and after begin to think about a better way.
Do you if it is possible to create a local network via Bluetooth ? I heard about an app pourquoi android that could send notifications to a computer via Bluetooth using growl (the name is notifier for android) but what I don't know is if there is some kind of IP address between the iPhone and the Gear. On the iPhone there is GrowlNotifier that can send growl notifications via the network to a growl server and on android there is Growl for android that can listen for growl notifications but I have to find a way to make them communicate !

I'm looking for some help here ! fomey and gidi I need you !!

fOmey
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3919
Quote:
The gear would need an app too ?! do you know which bluetooth protocol does it use ? MAP ?
Ok, so it would be a Growl-Like solution. Do you know if when connected over bluetooth the gear and the iPhone have some kind of IP adress ?
Bluetooth MAP protocol by definition on wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Message Access Profile (MAP)[edit]
Message Access Profile (MAP)[6] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[7] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [8] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad. Android support was introduced in version 4.4 (KitKat).[9]
The gear runs 4.2.2, so MAP is not supported on the gear.

The gear sends JSON requests via bluetooth, you would assume it uses MAP to do this although I don't believe it does. If it did, you would see alot more custom gear apps.

It uses a API embedded in all the APK's which require data transfer from host phone to gear..

If you decompile a gear APK it can be found in:
  • com.samsung.accessory.api
  • com.samsung.accessory.safiletransfer
  • com.samsung.android.sdk.accessory

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?

Accounti
Old
(Last edited by Accounti; 16th March 2014 at 11:44 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Bluetooth MAP protocol by definition on wikipedia:

The gear runs 4.2.2, so MAP is not supported on the gear.

The gear sends JSON requests via bluetooth, you would assume it uses MAP to do this although I don't believe it does.

It uses a API embedded in all the APK's which require data transfer from host phone to gear..

If you decompile a gear APK it can be found in:
  • com.samsung.accessory.api
  • com.samsung.accessory.safiletransfer
  • com.samsung.android.sdk.accessory
Hmm that's not a good news.
There is no way on the Rom side to avoid this ?
This would only leave us with the Growl possibility...
Do you have any idea on the Bluetooth local network thing I talked earlier ?

fOmey
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3919
Quote:
Hmm that's not a good news.
There is no way on the Rom side to avoid this ?
This would only leave us with the Growl possibility...
Do you have any idea on the Bluetooth local network thing I talked earlier ?
What do you mean bluetooth local networking thing ?

OR BETTER YET

BUY ME A BEER OR TWO ?

Accounti
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
What do you mean bluetooth local networking thing ?
I mean if when the gear is connected to the Iphone there is a local network that is created so that we could redirect the notifications of the iPhone via growl to the gear.
To do this we have to know the IP address of the gear to enter them in GrowlNotifier