Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] Rooting MJ7 on SM-N9005 possible?

Tip us?

cool400
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [ROOT] Rooting MJ7 on SM-N9005 possible?

Hello,

I can't find any reliable information for my question.

I'm planning to buy a (used) german Note 3 with MJ7-Bootloader.

Is there any way to root this phone WITHOUT tripping Knox?

I know there are several rooting-methods (e.g. the controversial KingoApp-root), but some of them don't work.
Does KingoApp work? I also know about the security-related things about this app!

Any information would be very useful!

Best regards and thanks a lot

cool400

Gpsrisk
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool400 View Post
Hello,

I can't find any reliable information for my question.

I'm planning to buy a (used) german Note 3 with MJ7-Bootloader.

Is there any way to root this phone WITHOUT tripping Knox?

I know there are several rooting-methods (e.g. the controversial KingoApp-root), but some of them don't work.
Does KingoApp work? I also know about the security-related things about this app!

Any information would be very useful!

Best regards and thanks a lot

cool400
If Official Android 4.4 is on its way to NOTE 3 in the early quater of next year ...why root now and facing upgrading issues later? Morever all the encounters and experiences mentioned here is very inconclusive because majority of the forumers not only do not read first, they also do not know the phone well enough to express clearly how they had rooted their phones ( failures and/or success ).
Be patience is the key. Meantime just wait. I am sure someone will provide a safer rooting for MJ7.
Wait till someone is capable to come up with a safe rooting of MJ7

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsrisk View Post
If Official Android 4.4 is on its way to NOTE 3 in the early quater of next year ...why root now and facing upgrading issues later? Morever all the encounters and experiences mentioned here is very inconclusive because majority of the forumers not only do not read first, they also do not know the phone well enough to express clearly how they had rooted their phones ( failures and/or success ).
Be patience is the key. Meantime just wait. I am sure someone will provide a safer rooting for MJ7.
At this time - No.
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

Hilari0
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I think the only safe way of rooting MJ7 at this point is if you're coming from MJ1 and can root MJ1 first. If I remember correct, MJ3 and above installs a new bootloader which has been patched to prevent RDLV and similar to get around knox. Android 4.4 KitKat is almost here, so I wouldn't worry about it.. I rooted mine just to disable knox but apart from that it's not that much else to do with it.. A few mods with Wanam Xposed if you want, but there's not that much in there that is needed for the Note 3 in my opinion..

antt00
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Quote:
What is the relation between rooting or tripping knox and issues getting android 4.4/kitkat later? You are not making sense.

And to OP, there is no way to root and not trip knox counter on mj7 for now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Asus P525 (WM5 - WM6) ---> HP Ipaq 612c (WM6.5) ---> HTC HD2 (WM6.5.x - Android) ---> Samsung Galaxy S2 ---> Samsung Note 2 --> Samsung Note 3

ALEXNDR ROM (XXUFNF4) // Lean Kernel // TSF Shell Launcher

Gpsrisk
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by antt00 View Post
What is the relation between rooting or tripping knox and issues getting android 4.4/kitkat later? You are not making sense.

And to OP, there is no way to root and not trip knox counter on mj7 for now.

One question .... if a knox is tripped ...would the phone be still getting official updates ? Anyone can share this ?

effry
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
One question .... if a knox is tripped ...would the phone be still getting official updates ? Anyone can share this ?
the answer is YES but only if you are on an non-rooted ROM. basically you don't get updates only if you are rooted
Devices: Wildfire s CM7------> Xperia U -------> GALAXY NOTE 3

antt00
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Quote:
Getting ota is related to the phone being in official status not knox. Even if you have issue with ota you can just download the official rom and flash with odin. There is no way tripping knox is going to prevent future rom upgrading.

Asus P525 (WM5 - WM6) ---> HP Ipaq 612c (WM6.5) ---> HTC HD2 (WM6.5.x - Android) ---> Samsung Galaxy S2 ---> Samsung Note 2 --> Samsung Note 3

ALEXNDR ROM (XXUFNF4) // Lean Kernel // TSF Shell Launcher

Alex_007
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Should I upgrade from MJ7 to KitKat?

An uprage for KitKat arrived on my N9005 and I don't know if I should install it. I have the international Note3 version with MJ7 firmware and I would like to root my phone and install alternative ROM without knox tripping.
Does it make any sense to wait for safe way to root the phone?

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_007 View Post
An uprage for KitKat arrived on my N9005 and I don't know if I should install it. I have the international Note3 version with MJ7 firmware and I would like to root my phone and install alternative ROM without knox tripping.
Does it make any sense to wait for safe way to root the phone?
KK for me is way much better than JB. Battery life is way much better than JB, and it is much smoother. This is what I've experienced on my phone. So it's your decision to make. But, my suggestion, if you want to upgrade, don't take from OTA, better you flash from ODIN (download the official firmware from samfirmware, and flash it from ODIN), and do a factory reset after that.

If you still want to stay at MJ7, and root it, I can only tell you, up to now I write this, there's still no method for a safe tripping root method for MJ7, because this firmware has a new bootloader for 4.3 which has a samsung patch. And don't ever think to downgrade to earlier 4.3, coz this is also impossible.

If you want to safe your KNOX flag, at the moment, don't root. If you want to root, you have to let go your KNOX flag.
You can wait, but nobody knows how long you should wait. because at the other end, samsung also keep on updating its bootloader.
Choice is yours, mate.

Cheers.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT