Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,850 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Storage issues after installing first rom

Tip us?

KSprec
Old
(Last edited by KSprec; 23rd March 2014 at 03:33 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Storage issues after installing first rom

This was my first time rooting an S4. I installed safestrap and installed Hyperdrive rom. My issue is that my internal storage is completely full. It says that misc files is taking up 15gb of space and it's system memory.

McTerry
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSprec View Post
This was my first time rooting an S4. I installed safestrap and installed Hyperdrive rom. My issue is that my internal storage is completely full. It says that misc files is taking up 15gb of space and it's system memory.
I'm in the same boat. Trying to find out if I can install HyperDrive over the Stock ROM without bricking the phone. I'm hoping that will free up a lot of space as I would need to wipe the slot prior to installing. Just a little worried about doing it.

One thing I did do was boot into Stock and remove all apps, updates, and as much stuff as I could. This didn't have any effect on the loss of space. I know that while digging through posts on these forums I saw a lot of outrage when the S4 first came out about all the bloatware that took up a good 6gigs of space on a stock phone.
Also when I did the backup of the Stock ROM onto the SD card, I made sure that I moved it off the SD Card and onto an external Hard Drive for safe keeping and to free up some space on my SD Card. I also deleted the HyperDrive install as well since it is 1.xGigs of space on the SD card.

Sorry I don't have anything really to contribute, but would be interested in hearing if you find a way to free up some space as well.

klabit87
Old
(Last edited by klabit87; 23rd March 2014 at 06:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 165
I run all of my roms in stock slot because of that very reason. I have a stock rooted backup I keep on my computer so it doesn't accidentally get deleted from SD card and to also save space on my external. I haven't had any problems at all with running any tw based custom roms in the stock slot. Just make sure your base is compatible with the roms you flash. HD15 requires mj7 or mk2 just do like normal and flash the modules after the install and before booting into the rom.
Profit and enjoy the extra space [emoji1][emoji106]
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If I have helped please hit the thanks button!
------------------------------------------------------
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Rom: [ROM] Eclipse S4 TW - v4.0.2 (6/25/14) - Real AOSP styling!! KitKat has arrived!!!
Recovery: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71/v3.72 [2014-04-02 KK Beta]
Bootloader: MJ7

gnubian
Old
(Last edited by gnubian; 23rd March 2014 at 06:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 110
The best way to do this is to Odin to stock, root, install safestrap, copy System/lib/modules folder to ext SD or comp. Back up stock slot in safe strap recovery. Then wipe stock slot and flash hyperdrive 15 and mk2 or mj7 (according to your build) modules. Reboot then replace system/lib/modules with the one you copied from stock and Fix it's permissions.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabit87 View Post
I run all of my roms in stock slot because of that very reason. I have a stock rooted backup I keep on my computer so it doesn't accidentally get deleted from SD card and to also save space on my external. I haven't had any problems at all with running any tw based custom roms in the stock slot. Just make sure your base is compatible with the roms you flash. HD15 requires mj7 or mk2 just do like normal and flash the modules after the install and before boring into the rom.
Something that will save plenty of time would be to backup your slot 1 and wipe your stock slot then restore your hd15 backup of slot 1 and restore it to the stock slot and flash kernel modules for good measure. Delete slot 1.
Profit [emoji1][emoji106]

Your post confuses me. I tried flashing hyperdrive to stock then modules, and i had no wifi. And this is directly from hashcodes safestrap thread

.*DON'T RESTORE A CUSTOM ROM-SLOT BACKUP TO THE STOCK ROM. THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE.

The only way I've had it work is the method I posted above.

Have you successful restored a tw custom rom to stock slot or are you just assuming it will work?
If I helped you, thank me. If not, spank me.

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
The best way to do this is to Odin to stock, root, install safestrap, copy System/lib/modules folder to ext SD or comp. Back up stock slot in safe strap recovery. Then wipe stock slot and flash hyperdrive 15 and mk2 or mj7 (according to your build) modules. Reboot then replace system/lib/modules with the one you copied from stock and Fix it's permissions.

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Your post confuses me. I tried flashing hyperdrive to stock then modules, and i had no wifi. And this is directly from hashcodes safestrap thread

.*DON'T RESTORE A CUSTOM ROM-SLOT BACKUP TO THE STOCK ROM. THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BRICK YOUR PHONE.

The only way I've had it work is the method I posted above.

Have you successful restored a tw custom rom to stock slot or are you just assuming it will work?
Ah. Gotcha. I must have just gotten lucky then haha.
I will omit that so nobody runs into that.
I did restore from slot 1 to stock. But what I did was backup slot 1, wipe everything on stock slot, restore backup to stock slot then flash modules.
Like I said though I must have gotten lucky.
But why would you want to copy the files in the lib folder? Isn't that the same as flashing the modules before booting into the rom?

Rom: [ROM] Eclipse S4 TW - v4.0.2 (6/25/14) - Real AOSP styling!! KitKat has arrived!!!

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Ah. Gotcha. I must have just gotten lucky then haha.
I will omit that so nobody runs into that.
I did restore from slot 1 to stock. But what I did was backup slot 1, wipe everything on stock slot, restore backup to stock slot then flash modules.
Like I said though I must have gotten lucky.
But why would you want to copy the files in the lib folder? Isn't that the same as flashing the modules before booting into the rom?

All I know is that I tried just flashing modules and wifi wouldn't even turn on. When I researched it the solution above is the one I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
Here's what you do to recover your Wifi.

First, if you didn't overwrite the stock slot:
1. Boot your stock slot.
2. Copy the two files in /system/lib/modules to your EXTERNAL sdcard.
3. Boot the custom slot.
4. Use your favorite root file manager to mount /system read-write, then copy those files from the external sdcard into /system/lib/modules in your custom slot.
5. Reboot. Wifi should be back.

Second, if you flashed over the stock slot:
Well, you've written over the factory modules. You'll need to get them back.

A. Find someone with the same device as you that's unmodified and ask them for the contents of /system/lib/modules. Copy them to your /system/lib/modules.
B. Remove Safestrap and install a factory stock ROM. You can now use Safestrap to flash into a different slot and use the directions above.
If you INSIST on flashing over the factory ROM again (i.e. you haven't learned why that's a bad idea), then copy off the files to your external sdcard before you install Safestrap, then go to step 4 above after you finish flashing the custom ROM.
C. Take apart a factory ROM image and extract the contents of the /system/lib/modules directory onto your external sdcard. Go to step 4 above.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnubian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Hmm. Well that is good to know for future flashes. I guess I probably wouldn't have been looking for a solution like that unless I had that problem.

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Hmm. Well that is good to know for future flashes. I guess I probably wouldn't have been looking for a solution like that unless I had that problem.

Like you said, you were lucky. Because if the module zip were the same, why would one need to get the unmodified one from a stock rom rather than downloading the one from the safestrap thread? I'm guessing the module zip is meant to work on rom slots and not the stock. Idk how yours worked, but to the OP : flashing to stock slot is not recommended by hash and you won't get any support/help from him as he states in his thread, so proceed at your own risk. But the above method has worked for me and others . Good luck.

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
Like you said, you were lucky. Because if the module zip were the same, why would one need to get the unmodified one from a stock rom rather than downloading the one from the safestrap thread? I'm guessing the module zip is meant to work on rom slots and not the stock. Idk how yours worked, but to the OP : flashing to stock slot is not recommended by hash and you won't get any support/help from him as he states in his thread, so proceed at your own risk. But the above method has worked for me and others . Good luck.
Yeah. I have the patience to work with it. Plus I been with safestrap since it first came out for the razr so I knew what I was getting into when I unfortunately had to do a warranty claim on my mdk due to a faulty touch screen digitizer.
If I get it screwed up too bad I just start over with Odin.

McTerry
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
Flashed HyperDrive RLS15 over the stock ROM this morning. Flashed the Modules before reboot and after install. Only issue I had was TouchWiz Home crashing on occasion, but a kindly soul on here told me it looked like it was an issue associated with restoring data. Although I didn't restore data, I also chose to just flash over the Stock ROM and use the installers Wipe/Factory Reset option instead of wiping the ROM slot first. All I had to do was boot into recovery with SafeStrap and Wipe the new ROM, reboot, and good to go.

Oh, and the free space on the device using the flashed Stock ROM is now close to 6Gigs! Oh the Glory! Gonna give everything a few days and if it all remains good to go, I'll delete the RLS14 ROM and maybe try some other ROM's out, now that I have room.