**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Thanks to @kevp75 and @loganfarrell for all of the support provided to me and others in this thread!**: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157
**Important Notice**: If you are currently on factory stock, unrooted NB1 or NC1 follow the instructions in Post# 3!:
**Prerequisite** You must be on a 100% Stock NB1 system, except for root and safestrap, before proceeding with this method! The update will fail if any NB1 system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, flashing Tether AddOn.zip, etc. You must first restore the stock files or flash the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM. Or, instead update to NC1 by flashing the I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM from Post# 3 below.
Here it is: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip
And here: I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTAwBL.zip (This version contains the NC1 bootloader, MK2 bootloader users will not be able to flash back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).
1. Place the I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
4. Flash the NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
5. Last, flash the I337_NC1_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!
Known Issue: Safestrap.apk will force close after updating to NC1 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall safestrap recovery use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).
1. After flashing and booting into I337UCUFNC1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM or I337_NB1toNC1_KeepRoot_OTA.zip,
2. Place the AddOn in ext sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!