FM App NextRadio

OP mikereidis

15th August 2013, 10:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 3,201

6,291 posts
More
The NextRadio FM app has been released: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oapp.nextradio

EDIT: I've got it now and will be examining it. So my original reason for posting is gone, but feel free to post anything except "FM is as dead as VCRs etc..." LOL.
Last edited by mikereidis; 15th August 2013 at 11:36 PM.
16th August 2013, 01:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 54

263 posts
Donate to Me
More
Does this thing support HD radio?
16th August 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #3  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 201

978 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmithlcw

Does this thing support HD radio?

I see no option. That's really too bad, though.
What's the difference between this app and the stock app? It's not bad. Maybe the GPe folks will enjoy this?
The Following User Says Thank You to sauprankul For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #4  
Flag Layton, UT
Thanks Meter: 76

148 posts
More
I did a factory reset yesterday and this app was automatically installed as part of the default Sprint ID Pack download when you first start up your phone. Interesting...
16th August 2013, 03:03 AM   |  #5  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 54

263 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowMetal

I did a factory reset yesterday and this app was automatically installed as part of the default Sprint ID Pack download when you first start up your phone. Interesting...

Yeah, that happened to me, too, after I unlocked my booloader (and deleted my data).
16th August 2013, 06:05 AM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer

6,291 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

I see no option. That's really too bad, though.
What's the difference between this app and the stock app? It's not bad. Maybe the GPe folks will enjoy this?

I'm not aware of a single modern smartphone readily available in the 1st world that has an HD Radio chip.

No GPE or AOSP, it will only work on phones that have the HTC FM Service that normally only exists on stock ROMs with a working stock app.

It wouldn't work on my OneV or OneX without crashing.

But it worked "OK" on my HTC One with a stock Viper ROM.

The app is "under-whelming" IMO.

More details on my thread for anyone interested: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post44669987
18th August 2013, 05:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
More
fm isn't dead yet! haha
i still try to use fm radio when i commute. i use iheartradio but go through some data deadspots so gonna try this out.
18th August 2013, 08:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer

6,291 posts
More
Does anyone like this app ?

I'm not too impressed, but on day 1 the app had 4 ratings & no reviews I think, and was rated 5.

Now it's rated 4.7 and has mostly positive reviews.

There are many "services" out there that provide people to positively rate and review apps. So I get a bit suspicious when an app is new, doesn't seem that great to me, yet ratings/reviews are almost all positive.

Does it deserve a 4.7 rating, at least among US users who are the target ?
18th August 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #9  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 201

978 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Does anyone like this app ?

I'm not too impressed, but on day 1 the app had 4 ratings & no reviews I think, and was rated 5.

Now it's rated 4.7 and has mostly positive reviews.

There are many "services" out there that provide people to positively rate and review apps. So I get a bit suspicious when an app is new, doesn't seem that great to me, yet ratings/reviews are almost all positive.

Does it deserve a 4.7 rating, at least among US users who are the target ?

If this works only on Sense ROMs and only on the One (right? If not, I'm sure all phones capable of FM have their own apps), what is the point of this app? I does nothing that the stock app doesn't do.

Maybe the ratings are just "not bad."

EDIT: I used the app and browsed its features, and it seems that it has a lot more features like Genre, Album art, local stations, favorites, physical tuner, etc.I'll definitely be using this in lieu of the stock app.
Last edited by sauprankul; 18th August 2013 at 08:51 PM.
19th August 2013, 05:51 AM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer

6,291 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauprankul

EDIT: I used the app and browsed its features, and it seems that it has a lot more features like Genre, Album art, local stations, favorites, physical tuner, etc.I'll definitely be using this in lieu of the stock app.

Depends on the station. The app developer Emmis Communications owns some stations, and on some of them they support this extra data, IF you have an Internet connection.

Doesn't work if you don't live in the US or don't use one of the stations that doesn't specifically support this.

I think Emmis is charging stations, some of whom are direct competitors, to get that extra data added.

If they are calling this "hybrid radio", it seems to mean you must have FM OTA AND Internet access simultaneously. Might as well stream, I'd think, unless you have significant gaps in data coverage and are OK with losing that extra data in those gaps, without RDS to fallback on.
Last edited by mikereidis; 19th August 2013 at 05:54 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread