Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 39,336 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Quick-Fix for "Cannot Connect to Camera" error for Epinters CM10/CM10.1

Tip us?

berickson1
Old
(Last edited by berickson1; 12th April 2014 at 08:14 PM.) Reason: Updated compatibility list
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Prompt [APP] Quick-Fix for "Cannot Connect to Camera" error for Epinters CM10/CM10.1

I know this should go in Atrix development, but I am relatively new to the community and cannot post in the development section yet.

I have been frustrated by the camera connectivity issue that has been affecting Epinters CM10 ROM. Luckily, Epinter posted an easy solution to fix this without rebooting the device.. Looks like this works Epinters CM10.1 ROM based on comments in that thread (I have not tested it).

I decided that it would be a good idea to wrap this in a simple app that would allow a one-click fix!
This app requires root in order to kill the mediaserver process.

To Use:
1) Install
2) Open "Atrix Camera Fix"
3) Click "Run Fix!"
4) Grant Superuser permission
5) DONE!

If there is interest, I could create a one-click widget to do this as well.

Quote:
Changelog:
Version 1.1:Added ability to kill the gallery/camera app (com.android.gallery3d)
Edit (Dec 11): Fixed typo. Thanks saldirai for letting me know!
Edit (Jan 1): Added changelog and updated apk
Edit (Mar 3): Seems to be compatible with Epinter's CM 10.1
Edit (Apr 12): Reports of working with CM 10.1/10.2 i9300 (International Galaxy S3) & CM11 sprint galaxy s3
Attached Files
File Type: apk Atrix Camera Fix-1.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (152.1 KB, 1471 views)
File Type: apk Atrix Camera Fix-1.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (154.0 KB, 4374 views)
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to berickson1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thesummoner101
Old
Thanks Meter 66
This would have been a nice addition few months back, but I personally haven't run into this issue since the early CM10 builds. Maybe because I started using Camera FX, but camera always works and is never laggy like before. Still thanks for your work, I'm sure it will definitely help someone.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

berickson1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesummoner101 View Post
This would have been a nice addition few months back, but I personally haven't run into this issue since the early CM10 builds. Maybe because I started using Camera FX, but camera always works and is never laggy like before. Still thanks for your work, I'm sure it will definitely help someone.

I still see this issue when using the stock camera, mostly after opening the camera multiple times in a relatively short period (~15 minutes) from the lock screen. I imagine that I can't be the only one seeing this. If this helps just one person, i'm happy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to berickson1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thesummoner101
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Haven't used the stock camera in a long while, I remember it being annoying to restart. I'm sure there are going to be people who will enjoy this.

Try camera360 from the play store. It's free and has lots of options. It doesn't crash either...

dblades
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesummoner101 View Post
Haven't used the stock camera in a long while, I remember it being annoying to restart. I'm sure there are going to be people who will enjoy this.

Try camera360 from the play store. It's free and has lots of options. It doesn't crash either...

I was using Camera 360, with Epinters CM10, but after the last update of camera 360, it wouldn't connect yesterday when I tried using it.

thesummoner101
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblades View Post
I was using Camera 360, with Epinters CM10, but after the last update of camera 360, it wouldn't connect yesterday when I tried using it.
I have version 3.9 (2012 special edition?). Opened and closed it 4-5 times in about a minute and worked just fine...

berickson1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Updated to version 1.1

Updated app to version 1.1.
Added functionality to kill the default camera app when running fix. (com.android.gallery3d)

Felpz
Old
(Last edited by Felpz; 13th June 2013 at 04:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default does not work

me did not work;/

some other solution?

berickson1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felpz View Post
me did not work;/

some other solution?
What version of Epinters ROM are you running?
Please ensure that you have granted Superuser permission?

ar31791
Old
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
My solution is to use tasker to run the shell command: kill -9 `pidof mediaserver`
On every screen wake. So every time I turn screen off and back on the cam is good to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to ar31791 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]