Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 42,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.2 NAE root? Will it trip the Knox flag?

Tip us?

exhilaration
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default 4.4.2 NAE root? Will it trip the Knox flag?

My happily rooted GS4's screen died and I took it Sprint for a replacement. They gave me a refurbished GS4 SPH-L720 with Android 4.4.2 and this build/baseband L720VPUFNAE. I've spent some time searching and I'm still not sure I've got the latest info on this:
  1. Can I root? Based on this thread I think I can use CF Root but I'm not sure.
  2. Will rooting trip the Knox flag and possibly void my warranty? Based on my searches, yes, I think it will trip the Knox flag. As of now there's no way around it.
  3. Can I downgrade without tripping the Knox flag? No, I don't think I can.
Can anyone confirm that this the latest status on NAE? I'd rather avoid tripping the Knox flag, just because, but I'd like to have root back for RoamControl, Titanium Backup, and Tasker. And anyway, if the phone fails again I'm pretty no one at Sprint will be looking at the Knox flag when I go in to switch it out (or will they???).

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhilaration View Post
My happily rooted GS4's screen died and I took it Sprint for a replacement. They gave me a refurbished GS4 SPH-L720 with Android 4.4.2 and this build/baseband L720VPUFNAE. I've spent some time searching and I'm still not sure I've got the latest info on this:
  1. Can I root? Based on this thread I think I can use CF Root but I'm not sure.
  2. Will rooting trip the Knox flag and possibly void my warranty? Based on my searches, yes, I think it will trip the Knox flag. As of now there's no way around it.
  3. Can I downgrade without tripping the Knox flag? No, I don't think I can.
Can anyone confirm that this the latest status on NAE? I'd rather avoid tripping the Knox flag, just because, but I'd like to have root back for RoamControl, Titanium Backup, and Tasker. And anyway, if the phone fails again I'm pretty no one at Sprint will be looking at the Knox flag when I go in to switch it out (or will they???).
1 yes.
2. yes.
3 no.

all the answers are here. looks like you've found them
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.