Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S4 developer edition help (YUAMDK)

Tip us?

silver7x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] S4 developer edition help (YUAMDK)

Hello,
I have a Galaxy S4 Developers Edition (SCH-I545, running Android 4.2.2), Baseband version YUAMDK. I would like to install Kitkat on it. The problem is that I cant seem to find clear instrcutions on what I need to do to install a different ROM on it. Can some one please help. Also as a side question, where can I find the stock samsung kitkat ROM for our phone.
Thank you
Amir

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver7x View Post
Hello,
I have a Galaxy S4 Developers Edition (SCH-I545, running Android 4.2.2), Baseband version YUAMDK. I would like to install Kitkat on it. The problem is that I cant seem to find clear instrcutions on what I need to do to install a different ROM on it. Can some one please help. Also as a side question, where can I find the stock samsung kitkat ROM for our phone.
Thank you
Amir
KitKat hasn't been released on Verizon yet.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
The Following User Says Thank You to riker147 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

silver7x
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
KitKat hasn't been released on Verizon yet.
Thank you, is the process for being able to to load another ROM... all the ones I have seen are not for the Developers edition.
Thanks again.

jpcalhoun
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Thank you, is the process for being able to to load another ROM... all the ones I have seen are not for the Developers edition.
Thanks again.
You have a Developer Edition S4, you can flash just about any ROM you want on it...it has an unlocked bootloader. Not sure what recovery you have, but you'll need a custom recovery like TWRP (I recommend 2.5.0.2) or PhilZ. Either one of those can be found in this forum. The one thing you don't want to do is take an Over The Air Update from Verizon...or anywhere else for that matter. Your in good shape for flashing just about anything as long as you don't change/replace your bootloader. I haven't seen any ROMs on this forum that touches the bootloader. There are a number of good ROMs available. Just follow the Developer's installation instructions. If you're looking for a really good TW ROM I recommend trying Eclipse 3.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpcalhoun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpcalhoun
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Hello,
Thank you
Amir
Here is a good thread for you to read. It probably answers a lot of your questions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578569

Toddricks
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Just keep in mind there is no factory image for the dev edition Gs4, (each developer edition device supposedly has a slightly different aboot) this is why no ota updates from big red.

I dont know how to do it but get some advice on how to back up your factory firmware before going to far. If this is even possible without a custom recovery????

Don't make the mistake I made and get a soft brick and have to flash a consumer version of mdk. My bootloader is now locked but at least I am still mdk with custom recovery and flashing capability.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app