Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,477 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

f2fs really flies!

Tip us?

PMikeP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default f2fs really flies!

I'd put this in the proper Samsung Tab 2 custom ROM forum, but not at my 10 post limit yet. (Question: Administrators, can you use some fuzzy logic here? I think I've shown I have something to offer here at XDA. But I only post when I think I have something to say. Makes it frustrating waiting to get to the 10 post requirement. I occasionally think. "Oh, to heck with it.")

Anyway, last week, when the developer offered it, I flashed my Samaung Galaxy tab over to an AGNi custom kernel that supports f2fs. The dev was also thoughtful to offer some custom f2fs format tools for the Tab 2 and a custom TWRP for f2fs.

I did a backup, took a deep breath, and formatted /data and /cache to f2fs.

WOW! The Tab doesn't benchmark any faster, but it is noticeably faster in use. No more lags in Boat browser.

I'm looking forward to the Cyanomod team offering f2fs for CM11.

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMikeP View Post
I'd put this in the proper Samsung Tab 2 custom ROM forum, but not at my 10 post limit yet. (Question: Administrators, can you use some fuzzy logic here? I think I've shown I have something to offer here at XDA. But I only post when I think I have something to say. Makes it frustrating waiting to get to the 10 post requirement. I occasionally think. "Oh, to heck with it.")

Anyway, last week, when the developer offered it, I flashed my Samaung Galaxy tab over to an AGNi custom kernel that supports f2fs. The dev was also thoughtful to offer some custom f2fs format tools for the Tab 2 and a custom TWRP for f2fs.

I did a backup, took a deep breath, and formatted /data and /cache to f2fs.

WOW! The Tab doesn't benchmark any faster, but it is noticeably faster in use. No more lags in Boat browser.

I'm looking forward to the Cyanomod team offering f2fs for CM11.
I thought about it but my favorite kernel dev hasn't supported it yet......
Samsung has implemented it now......
Seems cool but risky too. Isn't it that only kernels needs to be compatible with f2f?
Unused Ram is wasted Ram

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Gt-i9300
Archidroid 1.7.16
Archikernel 1.3
Twrp 2.7.100

PMikeP
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Yes, my understanding that the kernel has to support f2fs. Over in the Galaxy Tab 2 forum there is a developer who offers a 3.0.101 kernel that supports f2fs.