Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,892 Members 42,919 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Droid 3 replacement under warranty (Feb 2013)

Tip us?

Guyinlaca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Droid 3 replacement under warranty (Feb 2013)

A friend of mine had a Droid 3 for 19 months, with insurance and extended warranty. The power button stopped working and also caused the phone to have major issues. Given the extended warranty, they requested a replacement and were told there were no Droid 3's left. The system then defaulted to sending a Droid RAZR as a replacement. They got the RAZR in great condition. For those who still have a warranty and are having the issues and especially those who have gone through multiple D3's, you may want to check on replacement. It may have been a temporary shortage at the time but I thought I'd share.

stretchnz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyinlaca View Post
A friend of mine had a Droid 3 for 19 months, with insurance and extended warranty. The power button stopped working and also caused the phone to have major issues. Given the extended warranty, they requested a replacement and were told there were no Droid 3's left. The system then defaulted to sending a Droid RAZR as a replacement. They got the RAZR in great condition. For those who still have a warranty and are having the issues and especially those who have gone through multiple D3's, you may want to check on replacement. It may have been a temporary shortage at the time but I thought I'd share.
WOW
lucky to have extended warranty, without a google the RAZR is somewhat better I believe ?

Guyinlaca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchnz View Post
WOW
lucky to have extended warranty, without a google the RAZR is somewhat better I believe ?
The RAZR is a better device in most ways (faster, more ram, better screen, 4G connectivity, Jelly Bean upgradeable). It sucks for many to part with a keyboard but new devices seem to be phasing them out.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
If you don't mind the lack of a keyboard then that would be a great replacement device considering Motorola is sending out a JB update with removed bloat and since 4.x Motoblur has been reduced to a basically AOSP feel.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

wkearney99
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just asked today about a replacement for the wife's ancient Droid3. They're shipping another Droid3. Srsly?

I'm only getting it fixed because it had the coverage. Might as well have a new keyboard (spacebar died) before selling it off...

Looks like I'll be buying a Moto X outright in order to keep our unlimited plan.

Roblewis17
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy STUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyinlaca View Post
yes im stuck with a D3 too. i didnt know anthing about phones at the time when i got until now so im stuck with this monster. i really wish id got a Bionic or a htc one.

wkearney99
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblewis17 View Post
yes im stuck with a D3 too. i didnt know anthing about phones at the time when i got until now so im stuck with this monster. i really wish id got a Bionic or a htc one.
Turns out the replacement was DEFECTIVE! Damned thing just randomly reboots. Tried all sorts of troubleshooting, but in the end even with just the factory ROM it would still randomly just reboot itself. Now I've got a SECOND return order in the system.

Of course, what's the first thing I get when I bring the old phone back online? A nag message threatening me with a $500 charge if I don't return the unit within 5 days. Phone tech indicated it's more like 30 days. Question is will I keep getting the threatening texts? Eff'in Verizon, what a clusterfck.

Yes, this too will be a Droid 3 replacement. I asked, given the dance they're putting me through, about getting at least something newer, no dice. At least not unless I wanted to give up my unlimited plan...

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
Could be a bad battery

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future

Roblewis17
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy BAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
Could be a bad battery

No the phone just flat out sucks!!!

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,432

DONATE TO ME
Insurance sucks, my insurance is a droid 2 I bought on eBay for $20.
Takes less than 10 mins to reactivate online.

No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can...
Always in motion is the future