Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,347 Members 51,687 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Droid 3 Verizon vs. Unlocked vs. China version..?

Tip us?

spinjector
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Droid 3 Verizon vs. Unlocked vs. China version..?

Does anyone have a feel yet for how much Verizon dogged down the Droid 3 with bloatware, bad hardware decisions, and/or just generally screwed up the specs from what Motorola originally intended it to be...?

For instance:
- is the GPS locked so Google Maps can't access it?
- is there Crapware that I won't want yet won't be able to uninstall?
- can't make it a hotspot?
- can't tether it without fees or 3rd-party software?
- are there other things Verizon has "branded" that will make me crazy(er)?

Should I hold out for an unlocked version on Ebay, or go for the one from Verizon and unlock it myself..?

Or...is the locked version kinda ok enough to deal with that unlocking it isn't worth it?

Thanks.
~Noob #4,000,001 (I watched the video)

androidphan88
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Ok so as about what you asked here is what i see on my system.

There is some verizon apps preinstalled that cant be removed
V Cast Media Manager
V Cast Music
V Cast Tones
V Cast Videos
VZ Navigator.
they do not however seem to bog the system down at all.
it can be a hotspot but until rooted you will have to pay for it i assume. I never use this feature so not sure how all that works
I would also say you cant tether it without the verizon software to do so but again i do not use that feature
Maps uses GPS just fine, i have never heard of moto blocking the GPS from google maps before.

I personally think it is a great phone. i have hated the last couple versions of blur but this one i could live with just would like to have root to remove some of the verizon stuff. The system is snappy i think if you could get a staight vanilla rom like apex it would be even faster but i have yet to see the system lag or force close anything.
I would also be willing to bet someone will find a way to root it in the next couple weeks.

I would get it but just my opinion
The Following User Says Thank You to androidphan88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

StevePritchard
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Default XT860?

It looks like there will be a Canadian version on Bell in a few weeks too.

I'm in the UK, and all reports suggest that the Milestone 3 (as presumably it would be called) isn't getting a UK release, so I'm looking at all these other international models and am wondering which would be most appropriate.

My assumptions so far are:

1. Droid 3 is primarily CDMA, and although it has some GSM capability, I'm not sure that it's going to work terribly well in the UK.

2. The XT883 (Chinese Milestone 3) is primarily CDMA too, and will also potentially suffer from language issues, and also things like inability to access the Android market?

3. The XT860 from Bell might be a contender - I think I'm right in saying that Bell operate a GSM network, and obviously the phone will be in English/French out of the box.

I guess the hardest part will be making sure the device is unlocked, i.e. not tied to a network, and will operate in the UK before buying one from abroad.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve.
Motorola Droid 4
Retired:
Motorola XT860
Motorola Milestone 2
HTC Touch Pro - Exquisite 4.22 Radio 1.14.25.35
O2 XDA Exec

RaptorMD
Old
Thanks Meter 216
The Canadians get the XT860 Motorola Milestone 3 4G, or should we say Faux G since its not 4G and everyone knows it.

luiferrestrepo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unlocking the Droid 3 is a bitch, If you do not have account with them it is near impossible all the codes only do not work since the phone goes to a subsidy mode.

crosscr
Old
(Last edited by crosscr; 5th May 2014 at 03:43 PM.) Reason: Wrong thread
Thanks Meter 0
Default delete

Delete