Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,831 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SuperSU - Where is Temp Unroot?

Tip us?

leebo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default [Q] SuperSU - Where is Temp Unroot?

I am using superSU, and I need temporary unroot to try and fix my issue with google Wallet.

However, I can't find the option called "Temporary Unroot"! I have searched XDA and also done a general google search. the feature is mentioned all over the place, but nowhere does anybody explain where it is or how to access it.

In SuperSU, under settings, I found the option to enable or disable "superuser", but that's all. Is that it? Confused.
HTC EVO LTE - Stock Rooted
Escapee from AT&Crap

Evo_Shift
Old
Thanks Meter 350
You can use an app called ota root keeper I believe to do what you want.

Captain_Throwback
Old
Retired Moderator / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8663

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I am using superSU, and I need temporary unroot to try and fix my issue with google Wallet.

However, I can't find the option called "Temporary Unroot"! I have searched XDA and also done a general google search. the feature is mentioned all over the place, but nowhere does anybody explain where it is or how to access it.

In SuperSU, under settings, I found the option to enable or disable "superuser", but that's all. Is that it? Confused.
Yes, that's it.
Device 1: HTC One (M8)/831C | Hardware Version: 0005

Baseband: 1.08.20.0612_4 | PRI: 2.62_003 | PRL: 56019
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Device 2: HTC Jewel/PJ75100 (EVO 4G LTE) | Hardware Version: 0003

Baseband: 1.13.11.1105 | PRI: 3.02_003 | PRL: 56018
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0b

Device 3: HTC Shooter/PG86100 (EVO 3D) | Hardware Version: 0002
Baseband: 1.09.00.0108 | PRI: 1.55_003 | PRL: 22100
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Device 4: HTC Supersonic/PC36100 (EVO 4G) | Hardware Version: 0004
Baseband: 2.15.00.01.15 | PRI: 2.33_003 | PRL: 40460
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain_Throwback For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leebo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Thanks Captain.

Since my post I've seemed to have screwed up my Build.prop file and now it won't boot. I hope that $10 from Google Wallet will be worth it! Ha.
HTC EVO LTE - Stock Rooted
Escapee from AT&Crap

EPayne123
Old
(Last edited by EPayne123; 14th June 2012 at 08:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 155
Yes, Disable SuperUser is the correct option within the app. If you have already opened Walletbthen you will need to disable then reboot. Now in terms of the OTA Updating and trying to OTA you can use SuperSU Pro and enable before OTA but disable BEFORE BackUp within Recovery

Brought To You By TapTalk 2 Via LTevo
Current Devices:
LG Nexus 5
LG Nexus 4
HTC One

Previous Owned Devices:
Galaxy S4
Galaxy S3
HTC EVO 4G LTE
LG Esteem
Samsung Admire
iPhone 4
HTC Droid Incredible
The Following User Says Thank You to EPayne123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gregaste
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPayne123 View Post
Yes[...] Now in terms of the OTA Updating and trying to OTA you can use SuperSU Pro and enable before OTA but disable BEFORE BackUp within Recovery
Thank you, I was looking for this exact thing !

But I don't understand the last part, about backupenavke what? why pro ? and how strong is recommended a backup for a simple Ota From 2.2 to 2.3

??

joeykrim
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

if you or anybody else coming across this thread is interested in the technical details around how this works, the process is very simple with some background knowledge.
there are two elements in play when an application, such as Google Wallet, or any other application attempts to verify whether or not the device has root access. It can directly attempt to issue the "su" command see if it gets returned elevated privileges, or it can look for the su binary to be specifically located in /system/bin or /system/xbin.
based on the methods used to determine root access, you can "temporarily" unroot by moving/renaming root access away from the standard location.
example:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/backupsu
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
exit

now root access has been moved and android apps requiring root or searching for root access won't be able to locate it. when you want to restore root access, follow these steps based on the example above:
adb shell
backupsu
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
mv /system/bin/backup /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
exit

these steps will moved the su binary back to the standard location. hope that helps provide some insight and detail to the process!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joeykrim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Official_Noob
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPayne123 View Post
Yes, Disable SuperUser is the correct option within the app. If you have already opened Walletbthen you will need to disable then reboot. Now in terms of the OTA Updating and trying to OTA you can use SuperSU Pro and enable before OTA but disable BEFORE BackUp within Recovery

Brought To You By TapTalk 2 Via LTevo
^^^
Doesn't work on N7100 with or without rebooting after unchecking the box.