Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,443 Members 50,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ok google

Tip us?

boofhead
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default ok google

not sure if this has been discussed yet (could not find much in net either) but some say that the ok google voice commands is not available on the htc one m8. i got mine yesterday through telstra (australia) and have everything stock. today by pure accident i discovered that if you hold the home button down an option to swipe up to google appears. also when in lock screen there is a arrow below the lock symbol that does the same thing. it doesnt seem to be always active like other phones but at least it is there and it works.

ps. absolutely love this phone. upgraded from htc one xl (australian 4g one x) and have to say what a massively huge improvement.

Electronic Punk
Old
Thanks Meter 747

DONATE TO ME
You need to say "ok google" from within Google Search/Now then it works, but that also depends on your local language.

The chipset is very capable of running in a low power mode and waking to voice commands "alright m8" would be awesome, but HTC have chosen not to add it or not add it yet.

There doesn't seem to be stock way of customising the swipe up to get to Google now as there was with the One but HTC are very open to feature suggestions!
HTC One (M8) running Android Revolution HD on 4GEE

Formerly: One (M7), 8X, One X, Sensation, Desire S, HD2, Touch HD, TyTN II, MTeoR

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic Punk View Post
You need to say "ok google" from within Google Search/Now then it works, but that also depends on your local language.

The chipset is very capable of running in a low power mode and waking to voice commands "alright m8" would be awesome, but HTC have chosen not to add it or not add it yet.

There doesn't seem to be stock way of customising the swipe up to get to Google now as there was with the One but HTC are very open to feature suggestions!
So I take it the search widget doesn't work like the Nexus 5 homescreen? The S5 does...
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 2.22.401.4 (KTU84L) | HBOOT: 3.18.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.19.2133147.09G_20.57.4196.01L_F | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH25R)

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

Electronic Punk
Old
Thanks Meter 747

DONATE TO ME
Maybe, I did see someone demonstrate it very quickly but its not a widget I use and did feel inconsistant!

It won't wake up the device as we see on the Moto X at least.

Formerly: One (M7), 8X, One X, Sensation, Desire S, HD2, Touch HD, TyTN II, MTeoR

FNX23837
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Theres an app called open mic in the app store that lets you wake up pretty much any phone on jb+ via voice command to google search ill text people by talking to my pocket if i put the sensitivity to max but it wakes up to alot no matter what your wakeup phrase is "you can change it.".

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6629
You'll be able to activate it from your homescreen if you were to install the GEL launcher. If, however, you wish to keep Sense then you'll either need to do without it or use one of the apps like Open Mic (mentioned above) to do so

Sent from my HTC One or Note 3 via XDA Premium
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93

foxmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic Punk View Post
Swipe up gives me Google Now on my bone stock M8?

Regards,

Dave

Electronic Punk
Old
Thanks Meter 747

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeister View Post
Swipe up gives me Google Now on my bone stock M8?

Regards,

Dave
Correct, but the M7 with its less buttons used to have a few options, this time around you get what you are given

stevedebi
Old
Thanks Meter 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofhead View Post
not sure if this has been discussed yet (could not find much in net either) but some say that the ok google voice commands is not available on the htc one m8. i got mine yesterday through telstra (australia) and have everything stock. today by pure accident i discovered that if you hold the home button down an option to swipe up to google appears. also when in lock screen there is a arrow below the lock symbol that does the same thing. it doesnt seem to be always active like other phones but at least it is there and it works.

ps. absolutely love this phone. upgraded from htc one xl (australian 4g one x) and have to say what a massively huge improvement.
Can'you add the Google now widget to the home screen? I like that feature. I don't have the m8 (yet)... Just curious.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Phone: HTC One M8 T-Mobile, Stock ROM KitKat
Tablets: Lenovo IdeaPad A2019 9" Tablet / ICS | Dell Venue 7" Tablet / JB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite T925u / Windows 8.1
Former Phones: Ericsson T-28, Ericsson R600 World, T-Mobile Windows Phone, HP 6310, Sony-Ericsson M600, HTC Pharos, Asus P527, HTC Tilt2, HTC HD2, HTC Amaze, HTC M7

bobruels44
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedebi View Post
Can'you add the Google now widget to the home screen? I like that feature. I don't have the m8 (yet)... Just curious.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Widgets are still avaliable.

What is different is with the M7 with physical buttons, you could swipe up from the home button, or long press depending on your settings.

With the M8 with virtual buttons you just swipe up from the home button just like you do on the nexus devices.

Basically the buttons and google now behave like they do on a nexus.