Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,923 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem using camera for certain (Barcode) Apps...

Tip us?

MrJinx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Problem using camera for certain (Barcode) Apps...

Good morning everyone!

Was hoping to get some insight / help regarding an issue I've encountered and wondered if any of you have encountered the same.

I use certain Barcode scanner apps for saving money like Shop Savvy. Only when using the One May's camera I get a blurry, out of focus view from using it via the phone. I've never had this problem with other phones.

I thought my camera was defective but I tested on the store demo at Verizon and it had the same issue.

Putting this out there to request your help. I've tried using the different settings on the apps as well as the camera, no luck.

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJinx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samredman
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default I suggest a replacement

My suggestion is for you to go back to Verizon and get a replacement phone. All during the Christmas shopping, I used my HTC One Max and the Google Goggles app to research prices from barcodes and it worked without a hitch, even on some barcodes which were smeared on the packages. Based on my very good experience, you seem to have a faulty lens. It's a hassle replacing a phone, but sometimes it's necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to samredman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrJinx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default In response to the Google Goggles APP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samredman View Post
My suggestion is for you to go back to Verizon and get a replacement phone. All during the Christmas shopping, I used my HTC One Max and the Google Goggles app to research prices from barcodes and it worked without a hitch, even on some barcodes which were smeared on the packages. Based on my very good experience, you seem to have a faulty lens. It's a hassle replacing a phone, but sometimes it's necessary.
Hi,

Thank you for mentioning Google Goggles. That APP works GREAT!!! However, I do not think that I have a faulty lens. The pics from everything else comes out great. I also downloaded the Google Goggles app and that app has no problems whatsoever.

Would you mind downloading and using the Shop Savvy APP? Perhaps it's something to do w/ that app as my phone nor the demo at Verizon worked w/ Shop Savvy.

Thank you!

samredman
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Shop Savvy

I will download Shop Savvy and try it tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to samredman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dorenda
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have the same issue when attempting to use My Fitness Pal. The camera tries several times to focus but it is never able to pick up the bar code...

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Dorenda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorenda View Post
I have the same issue when attempting to use My Fitness Pal. The camera tries several times to focus but it is never able to pick up the bar code...

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
me too had issues with my fitness pal.. guess it needs software fix from HTC
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750
The Following User Says Thank You to pradeepvizz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepvizz View Post
me too had issues with my fitness pal.. guess it needs software fix from HTC
If the camera works across multiple other apps then it is not the camera or htcs fault. The devs of the apps you are trying to use need to adjust their app to work properly with the ultrapixel. They are probably making some assumptions in their code about resolution vs pixel density or something along those lines.
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggity Janx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggity Janx View Post
If the camera works across multiple other apps then it is not the camera or htcs fault. The devs of the apps you are trying to use need to adjust their app to work properly with the ultrapixel. They are probably making some assumptions in their code about resolution vs pixel density or something along those lines.
I had no problems with my fitness pal and the original HTC one, this happens only on the MAX -> camera / software at fault.
HTC One MAX ||| HTC ONE > HOX+ > Nexus 7 > HOX > Xperia Arc > Xperia X10 Mini > K810 > K550 > K750
The Following User Says Thank You to pradeepvizz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepvizz View Post
I had no problems with my fitness pal and the original HTC one, this happens only on the MAX -> camera / software at fault.
So their apps are probably set up to use ultrapixel with ois.... which ours does not have.
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggity Janx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pradeepvizz
Old
Thanks Meter 621

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggity Janx View Post
So their apps are probably set up to use ultrapixel with ois.... which ours does not have.
i believe that is not the case, if so each and every app developers needs to optimize for hundred's of cameras which is totally inefficient.

Even if that is the case, there are other hundred cameras which don't have ois and they work fine with the app(s), which obviously show the mobile is at fault.