FORUMS

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more

Galaxy S6 Weekly Shooting Challenge

Over in our forums this weekend, XDA Forum member DevonSloan has started a thread for talented … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

S4

26th March 2014, 06:47 AM |#1  
ericerk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
I want to sell my S4 but I'm afraid once I sell it there will be a bootloader exploit... Is this nuts, or is it just me??

(And possibly get the M8)
 
 
26th March 2014, 10:19 AM |#2  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,673
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

I want to sell my S4 but I'm afraid once I sell it there will be a bootloader exploit... Is this nuts, or is it just me??

(And possibly get the M8)

Just my opinion but... Your probably safe to move on lol there's some extremely talented people working on it , and I don't want to knock their progress, but its some serious security they're trying to break.

The reality is though that we just never know. Could find an exploit tomorrow.... Could never find it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 10:22 AM |#3  
ericerk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Just my opinion but... Your probably safe to move on lol there's some extremely talented people working on it , and I don't want to knock their progress, but its some serious security they're trying to break.

The reality is though that we just never know. Could find an exploit tomorrow.... Could never find it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to say they're not working, I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just stating... that there hasn't been an unlock since MDK.
I know that we never know, it's just kinda disappointing...
26th March 2014, 11:05 AM |#4  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,673
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

I'm not trying to say they're not working, I'm not saying they're bad. I'm just stating... that there hasn't been an unlock since MDK.
I know that we never know, it's just kinda disappointing...

Hey I know... I was just saying is all. Doesn't look good and Verizon is very dissapointing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 11:12 AM |#5  
ericerk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Hey I know... I was just saying is all. Doesn't look good and Verizon is very dissapointing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So your opinion, M8 or Stick W/ S4.

I'm a CM addict.
26th March 2014, 11:21 AM |#6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,673
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

So your opinion, M8 or Stick W/ S4.

I'm a CM addict.

Well I'd either get an MDK S4 off Swappa or get the M8 if your CM addict lol

I had my locked down S4 for a few months, then I sold it on Swappa and got an MDK S4 so I could do just that.
I'm not a real TW fan myself.

I suppose it all depends on what phone you really want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Just be sure the M8 is able to have custom recoveries too.... I'm not an HTC man so I don't follow it much. You don't want another locked down phone if your goal is to have CM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 11:26 AM |#7  
ericerk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Well I'd either get an MDK S4 off Swappa or get the M8 if your CM addict lol

I had my locked down S4 for a few months, then I sold it on Swappa and got an MDK S4 so I could do just that.
I'm not a real TW fan myself.

I suppose it all depends on what phone you really want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

Just be sure the M8 is able to have custom recoveries too.... I'm not an HTC man so I don't follow it much. You don't want another locked down phone if your goal is to have CM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

At this point i've just refused to use the damn thing... I'm using my razr m w/ 4.1.2. on it because it runs better...
26th March 2014, 11:33 AM |#8  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,673
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

At this point i've just refused to use the damn thing... I'm using my razr m w/ 4.1.2. on it because it runs better...

Good comparison between the S4 and M8
http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-O...arison_id54260

Between that and knowing what's possible with the M8 ( on Verizon ) and an MDK S4 you can probably make a good decision.
I know nothing about HTC phones really... But are they unlocked ( bootloaders ) or is it the same deal as the S4?

Verizon is the one pushing the locked down security. Probably worth finding out 1st.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
26th March 2014, 11:35 AM |#9  
ericerk's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Good comparison between the S4 and M8
http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-O...arison_id54260

Between that and knowing what's possible with the M8 ( on Verizon ) and an MDK S4 you can probably make a good decision.
I know nothing about HTC phones really... But are they unlocked ( bootloaders ) or is it the same deal as the S4?

Verizon is the one pushing the locked down security. Probably worth finding out 1st.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

All that I know forsure, is that most HTC phones get unlocked and have great lives with CM.

HTC one, Droid DNA, all the other HTC's
26th March 2014, 07:35 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 87
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericerk

I want to sell my S4 but I'm afraid once I sell it there will be a bootloader exploit... Is this nuts, or is it just me??

(And possibly get the M8)

I'd sell the S4 before the S5 comes out. There might be less interest in it after.

I sold my Mk2 S4 and bought an MDK one for ~$35 difference. The only thing that's missing with non-TW roms is the gesture stuff, but that's a small thing when you get GPE/CM/AOSP/whatever you want.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes