Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,167 Members 44,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why can't I copy/paste apk to system/app? ("permission denied")

Tip us?

TMack1962
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Why can't I copy/paste apk to system/app? ("permission denied")

I have a rooted Verizon GS4 and am trying to install an apk as a system app using ES File Explorer. I have root enabled in ES but when I copy the apk from my sd card so system/app I get "permission denied". What am I missing?

hexitnow
Old
(Last edited by hexitnow; 16th October 2013 at 06:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMack1962 View Post
I have a rooted Verizon GS4 and am trying to install an apk as a system app using ES File Explorer. I have root enabled in ES but when I copy the apk from my sd card so system/app I get "permission denied". What am I missing?
Did you grant read write privileges?

Edit:
Nevermind they changed up the layout and settings I do see what youre talking about tho. Its gotta be something witb ESFM because I can paste something to system with root explorer no problem..

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk. now Free
and-roms.com
Nvidia Shield Root and More

KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ chown -R US ./base
chown: ./base: No such file or directory
KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ mkdir ./base
ownership changed

TMack1962
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexitnow View Post
Did you grant read write privileges?
I believe so. Root Explorer is "on" and Mount R/W permission is set as Path/ =RO, /persdata/absolute=RW, /system=RW, /firmware-mdm=RO.

Does that sound right?

TMack1962
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
OK, I went ahead and bought "Root Explorer" and was able to copy the Calendar apk into the system/app folder. But I still can't get it to install. system/app is mounted as R/W but when I tap on the apk and run "install" it says "application not installed" every time. Any ideas why? FWIW, the apk is "SecCalendar_NAmerica_SPen.apk" and should be the apk for the stock Calendar app.

hexitnow
Old
Thanks Meter 333

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
OK, I went ahead and bought "Root Explorer" and was able to copy the Calendar apk into the system/app folder. But I still can't get it to install. system/app is mounted as R/W but when I tap on the apk and run "install" it says "application not installed" every time. Any ideas why? FWIW, the apk is "SecCalendar_NAmerica_SPen.apk" and should be the apk for the stock Calendar app.
The not installing is normal, see what permissions another system app has, apply the same.to the one youre copying. Reboot and it should work.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk. now Free
and-roms.com
Nvidia Shield Root and More

chown: ./base: No such file or directory
KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ mkdir ./base
ownership changed
The Following User Says Thank You to hexitnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TMack1962
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexitnow View Post
The not installing is normal, see what permissions another system app has, apply the same.to the one youre copying. Reboot and it should work.
OK, I'm now stumped. I've changed permissions and "owner" so it's identical to all other .apk's in the system/app folder. But after rebooting it still isn't installed. It looks right in the system/app folder, but the application is not in my app drawer. (No icon, widget, etc.) Any other ideas?

msl9150
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I know this is old but I'm having the same problem. The file is Read Only and I can't figure out how to change the path so that I can copy it to system/app.

Thank you

Quote:
I believe so. Root Explorer is "on" and Mount R/W permission is set as Path/ =RO, /persdata/absolute=RW, /system=RW, /firmware-mdm=RO.

Does that sound right?