Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 45,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

So... does it still have the STUPID screen protector??

Tip us?

xdapao3
Old
(Last edited by Siberian Tiger; 28th March 2014 at 08:56 PM.) Reason: That is better
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 183
Default So... does it still have the STUPID screen protector??

AWESOME tablet but a fundamental question: does it still have the EFFIN' STUPID screen protector its predecessor had??

Battery life is a concern as well (the Z Tablet Ultra battery life was pretty poor) but the screen protector is an instant deal breaker!!

I got the Xperia Z Tablet Ultra as soon as it came out especially because of its fantastic light weight but had to return it after a couple of days because it had a screen protector which was an *integral part* of the display (if you removed it, and BTW the glue was very strong, the glass beneath wasn't scratch proof and didn't have an oleophobic coating). The screen protector, of course, assured the display was very much scratch prone AND it also wasn't very slick so not easy to swipe upon (and pretty reflective to boot). B-A-T-S-H-I-T C-R-A-Z-Y.

If they went with a normal "bare" screen, this time, I would be very tempted to get this instead of the Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 (a "feather" itself) I was planning to get. Its even lighter weight is just unbelievable... (I just hope it doesn't come at the battery life's expense too much).

I am now using a G Pad 8.3 not because I like the mini tablets but only because after trying several 10" ones I realized that none of them was very ergonomic for prolonged hand held use because of their weight (and BTW speaking of ergonomy, this stupid new-fangled bezel-less design for tablets is another gripe of mine. Using the G Pad in portrait is bothersome, especially because of its slippery, STUPID metal back, another thing I hate in mobile devices...).

Anyway, I feel like the weight of the new Tab Pro 10.1 was beginning to approach my comfort territory and decided to try it out. Had I found it in black available locally, I would have already picked it out.. But then Sony comes out with this potentially awesome tablet. I just hope they haven't f***ed it up like they did the Z Ultra.

Sorry to sound so negative but I was so pissed when I discovered, after the purchase, the unbelievable stupidity of it all...

P.S. oh and of course NONE of the so called "tech" media "reviews" I read/watched before buying the Z Tablet Ultra pointed that out...
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) - carrier-free, black, 32 GB - stock 4.4.2 (XXUEND3) + CF-Auto-Root

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (T805) - carrier-free, black, 16 GB - stock 4.4.2 (XXU1ANF8) + CF-Auto-Root ported by BeansTown106

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2303
There is Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Tablet Z. You had one or another. Anyway, there is no screen protector. I have the Tablet Z (the 10 inch one) and the battery is awesome, comparable to my mom's iPad 3, which has a battery with almost the double size. I already managed 8h of screen time, with a total of 1d14h of screen (1/3 of the time with WiFi on).

About the screen protector, I've never been bothered by it. It protects the screen, just like it is meant to do, and the screen is perfect, just like any other high end tablet/smartphone I used.

If you like the weight of the G Pad, you probably will feel bothered even with the Z2 Tablet. It's feather light, for a 10 inch tablet. It's somewhat heavy, obviously, compared to them.

And, I can't see a single thing Sony could have screwed with the Z2 Tablet. Maybe you could feel bothered about the somewhat sharp edges. It isn't something that bothers ME on Tablet Z...

Zach Alt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
From what I've heard it's no longer on the device. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

xdapao3
Old
(Last edited by xdapao3; 23rd March 2014 at 11:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
There is Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Tablet Z. You had one or another.
My bad, it was almost a year ago, had it only for a few days and forgot the actual name of ther model.. It was the Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311E).

Quote:
Anyway, there is no screen protector.
You are absolutely sure about this..? Have you checked it out in person?

Quote:
I have the Tablet Z (the 10 inch one) and the battery is awesome, comparable to my mom's iPad 3, which has a battery with almost the double size. I already managed 8h of screen time, with a total of 1d14h of screen (1/3 of the time with WiFi on).
I am a heavy poweruser and never use "power saving" settings (i.e. feature crippling settings) and I remember the battery life to be sensibly inferior to the other 10" tablets I have had before it (and after...).

I plan on getting the desktop stand/charger for quick and easy charging when not in use anyway (wireless charging should be *mandatory* for devices with non-removable batteries!!!!).

Quote:
About the screen protector, I've never been bothered by it. It protects the screen, just like it is meant to do, and the screen is perfect, just like any other high end tablet/smartphone I used.
For all of the reasons I listed, the screen protector was simply insane.
In fact, AFAIK no other tablet from major brands was/is using it. Probably not even cheap no-name ones...

Quote:
If you like the weight of the G Pad, you probably will feel bothered even with the Z2 Tablet. It's feather light, for a 10 inch tablet. It's somewhat heavy, obviously, compared to them.
The Tab Pro 10.1 Wi-Fi model weighs exactly like the iPad Air (the LTE one actually weighs less than the corresponding iPad Air) and handling my brother's iPad Air I felt that the weight was comfortable enough or at least worth giving it a try (especially since I NEVER use cases so the device's weight is all I am going to deal with).
The Z2, which weighs considerably less than those two, really is a no brainer. If it works well is THE 10" tablet to get, at least for me.
I like almost everything about it... weight apart, obviously, I particularly like the 3GB RAM, the 32GB storage option with SD card slot, the powerful SOC, the bezels (OK maybe a bit too big but better too big than too small!!) and I hope that the back is the same very pleasant rubberized one like the Tablet Z which I feel is the ideal solution for hand held devices!!

Quote:
And, I can't see a single thing Sony could have screwed with the Z2 Tablet. Maybe you could feel bothered about the somewhat sharp edges. It isn't something that bothers ME on Tablet Z...
Oh there is always plenty for device makers to screw up... LOL
Anyway the edges didn't really bother me (although I would have much preferred rounded edges) and it seems that on the Z2 they softened the edges a little too.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) - carrier-free, black, 32 GB - stock 4.4.2 (XXUEND3) + CF-Auto-Root

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (T805) - carrier-free, black, 16 GB - stock 4.4.2 (XXU1ANF8) + CF-Auto-Root ported by BeansTown106

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapao3 View Post
My bad, it was almost a year ago, had it only for a few days and forgot the actual name of ther model.. It was the Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311E).

You are absolutely sure about this..? Have you checked it out in person?

I am a heavy poweruser and never use "power saving" settings (i.e. feature crippling settings) and I remember the battery life to be sensibly inferior to the other 10" tablets I have had before it (and after...).

I plan on getting the desktop stand/charger for quick and easy charging when not in use anyway (wireless charging should be *mandatory* for devices with non-removable batteries!!!!).

For all of the reasons I listed, the screen protector was simply insane.
In fact, AFAIK no other tablet from major brands was/is using it. Probably not even cheap no-name ones...

The Tab Pro 10.1 Wi-Fi model weighs exactly like the iPad Air (the LTE one actually weighs less than the corresponding iPad Air) and handling my brother's iPad Air I felt that the weight was comfortable enough or at least worth giving it a try (especially since I NEVER use cases so the device's weight is all I am going to deal with).
The Z2, which weighs considerably less than those two, really is a no brainer. If it works well is THE 10" tablet to get, at least for me.
I like almost everything about it... weight apart, obviously, I particularly like the 3GB RAM, the 32GB storage option with SD card slot, the powerful SOC, the bezels (OK maybe a bit too big but better too big than too small!!) and I hope that the back is the same very pleasant rubberized one like the Tablet Z which I feel is the ideal solution for hand held devices!!

Oh there is always plenty for device makers to screw up... LOL
Anyway the edges didn't really bother me (although I would have much preferred rounded edges) and it seems that on the Z2 they softened the edges a little too.
No, I haven't checked it myself, but many people reported that here, hereand here.

About it on the Tablet Z, well, I agree with you. It was more a opinion statment than a discussion over who's right. As I said, I don't mind it at all. You do mind. That's what matters.

Well, indeed there are ways to screw up, but as I said, for now, I haven't seen anything for now. About battery, indeed it's a matter of use. If it changes anything to you, another time (this with 4.2.2) I managed to get 8h20 of screen on, with a total of 14h of battery. The whole time WiFi was on, I watch some videos on Youtube, used the IR plenty of times and was constantly typing. The brightness was at minimum. There wasn't need for anything above it as the minimum settings is already quite bright, and I was indoors all the time. For my usage, it's a pretty good time.

I haven't managed better battery lately, but my device is rooted, full of apps (a lot of them useless. Don't even know why there are still installed lol) and really tweaked, with Xposed or other stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Felimenta97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SWFlyerUK
Old
Thanks Meter 128
There is no screen protector on this device.
The Following User Says Thank You to SWFlyerUK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdapao3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
No, I haven't checked it myself, but many people reported that here, hereand here.
Thanks, that was what I wanted to hear!

XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more