Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 40,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Update download failing

Tip us?

diggott
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Update download failing

Hello,
I've just started using this phone as my old one died on me and someone gave me this one secondhand.
It seems to have an update available but I can't get it!
If I'm on mobile data only it keeps telling me I have to use Wifi to download it which is annoying as I have unlimited data but there you go.
I've tried on 3 different peoples Wifi and every time it will get to somewhere between 5% and 30% and then error with a message that it can't update and a code of 801881d0.
Very frustrating!
I don't suppose there's any way round this ? If only I oculd download it on my PC and apply it or something but I've read that's not possible.....
Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Dan

charlatan1978
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi, how much storage space do you have on your phone?

diggott
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Well after 5 days of it failing to download on any WIFI connection I tried, suddenly the other night it said it had downloaded it. Hooray!

So I told it to install it, to which it told me I hadn't got enough space so I removed eveything I'd installed..... still not enough so I ended up uninstalling everything that it would let me on the phone till I was down to the bare minimum of apps and finally it decided to work.

After the update it decided it fancied going into a boot loop just to finish off the joy. After 20 minutes of fiddling with power and volume down combinations I eventually managed to get it to boot up and now, after another 2 updates, it finally says "Your software is up to date"

Phew!!!!

That was a lot more painful than it needed to be but we got there in the end!

charlatan1978
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Glad you got it fixed.
I believe the GDR3 update (which I think you were doing) is something like 800mb or so.
So basically you need to uninstall most of your apps to download and install it (I had to).
So WP8.1 should be fun to install! (Assuming it is released for the HTC 8S)