Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Windows Phone 8S Screen Repair Take Apart Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 734
Post HTC Windows Phone 8S Screen Repair Take Apart Guide

The helpful techs at Repairs Universe have put together this screen repair guide for the HTC Windows Phone 8S. This take apart guide will help walk you through all of the necessary steps to safely disassemble your Windows Phone 8S to perform repairs such as a replacing a cracked or broken screen or even internal components that may have stopped working.

This repair guide will help you install the following Windows Phone 8S parts:
  • Windows Phone 8S Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • Windows Phone 8S LCD Screen Replacement
  • Windows Phone 8S LCD + Touch Screen Assembly

Recommended Repair Tools:
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
  • T5 Torx Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Spudger Opening Tool
  • Heat Gun or Blow dryer

How to fix a Windows Phone 8S (Step-by-Step Tutorial) :
  • Before you begin make sure you fully power off your device.
  • Next take your pry tool or fingernail and remove the bottom back cover. From here you will need to remove your sim card and/or micro SD card.
  • With this cover removed you can take your Torx T5 screwdriver and remove the two (2) screws circled in the figure shown below.
  • Now taking your safe open pry tool start prying off the back housing by releasing the clips holding it in place. (Be careful not to damage or break these clips.)

See figure below for reference:

• With the back housing removed you can now remove the six (6) Small Phillips (#00) screws circled in the figure below.
  • Please note that the screws circled in BLUE are a different size from the screws circled in RED.
  • There will also be a small black protective cover that can be removed with the screws circled in BLUE.

See figure below for screw locations:

• Now with the screws removed you want to lift out the battery and fold it over to the side where the flex cable is still connected.
  • You can now remove the black housing covering its connection.
  • Now taking your pry tool gently release the battery connection and remove it from the device.

• Now taking your pry tool you will need to gently peel up the three components from the housing highlighted in GREEN in the figure below. These are the volume buttons, vibrator motor and power button.
  • Be cautious not to rip or tear their connections. You will only need to release them from the housing in order to remove the motherboard. (The volume and power buttons are held down with a little adhesive, the vibrator motor has it's own nest in the housing.)
  • You will also need to remove the protective tape covering the connections highlighted in BLUE in the figure below. Then use your pry tool to safely release their jaw-bone connections.

With these components now freed from the housing you can now safely pry up and lift out the motherboard. (Use caution when handling the motherboard.)
  • Next you will want to remove the protective tape covering the mid-frame and the back of the LCD screen from the slots in the housing. (Highlighted in RED in the figure below)
  • You now will want to gently peel up the ribbon cable(s) pointed out with red arrows in the figure below. These arrows point in the direction to which you will want to peel these cables from the housing. (Use caution not to rip or tear these flex ribbon cables.)
  • You will also need to take your spudger and gently lift up the copper colored film from the back of the LCD screen to be able to remove it from the housing without any issues.

• To proceed you will need to take your heat source and apply heat to the front and back of the mid-frame and screen assembly.
  • A medium heat setting hovering roughly 3-4 inches away from the device is ideal. Evenly heat these areas for roughly 30-45 second intervals. (Be cautious not to hover over any flex cables you may not want to damage.)
  • The adhesive holding the back of the LCD to the mid-frame is quite strong. You will need to apply enough heat to the back of the frame to loosen this adhesive enough to remove the screen assembly.

• With the screen and mid-frame properly heated you can begin prying the LCD + digitizer assembly starting from the back of the mid-frame.
  • We found that using a spudger opening tool is ideal to get between the LCD and this mid-frame. Insert the chisel end of your spudger through these slots in the frame as demonstrated in the figure below.
  • While attempting to remove the screen assembly from the mid-frame insert your spudger in a slot in the housing and use a second pry tool to work around the edges of the screen. The spudger will give you enough space for extra prying leverage and keep the LCD from re-adhering to the adhesive on the frame.
  • Once enough of the adhesive is releasing the screen assembly you should be able to remove the screen assembly completely from the mid-frame.
  • Be cautious of the flex cables when sliding them through the slots in the housing.

Notice: Repairs Universe's repair guides are for informational and learning purposes only. Anyone attempting to repair their device should do so at your own risk.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kushman87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Speaker

You guys rock! Helping me do a bunch of repairs for my customers but I wanted to know if the ear speaker from the WP8X will fit the WP8S....Glad to be the first to post also!

ExtremeGMX
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One question. Do I need to follow this guide to replace the digitizer and do I need to remove the screen if I want to replace it ? And also, do you void warranty if you open just the backside?

Here is the link(that you know what i mean): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-par...item2ec9d7a01d

Thanks!

DNA89
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is there a way to only replace the digitizer?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaČ View Post
Is there a way to only replace the digitizer?
You can try but the LCD is bonded to the touch screen in a way that makes it very difficult. I'd suggest using a full screen assembly.
Repair Technician

DNA89
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
You can try but the LCD is bonded to the touch screen in a way that makes it very difficult. I'd suggest using a full screen assembly.
I bought a digitizer and will try to carefully replace the original one that is totally shattered right now. At the moment i use the screen with tape on it, becuase bits of the screen are falling off. I will try to report back after i failed or succeeded, but that will take some time(just ordered the digitizer). Maybe i will post some before/after pics.

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 734
Quote:
I bought a digitizer and will try to carefully replace the original one that is totally shattered right now. At the moment i use the screen with tape on it, becuase bits of the screen are falling off. I will try to report back after i failed or succeeded, but that will take some time(just ordered the digitizer). Maybe i will post some before/after pics.
Yes, please do!
Repair Technician

dexter morgan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hey,

is the internal storage also a micro-SD? Do you know if it's possible to replace the storage with a bigger sd-card?

DNA89
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter morgan View Post
Hey,

is the internal storage also a micro-SD? Do you know if it's possible to replace the storage with a bigger sd-card?
It has an easy to reach mirco sd slot right next to the simcard slot.

dexter morgan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
It has an easy to reach mirco sd slot right next to the simcard slot.
hmm, i also guess that it has an easy to reach touchscreen display on the front of the phone...
I just wanted to ask u guys (specially the guys/or girls/ who disassembled the phone) if there's any possibility to change the internal storage...for example it was possible with my old HTC HD7...but found out that the internal storage is fixed with the board

Tags
fix windows phone 8s, htc windows phone 8s, windows phone 8s broken screen, windows phone 8s repair guide, windows phone 8s screen replacement