Post Reply

Working US Internet Tethering

OP sting0387

30th December 2013, 04:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just got finished tinkering around with my galaxy gear over the last 2 days (got it for xmas =)) and I figured out a way to get internet tethering working on a non rooted stock note 3. I will post a quick guide shortly. I'm not very good at writing them and I am assuming you know how to root and install/sideload apps by yourself either with wondershare or adb commands. Will be up shortly =)
30th December 2013, 04:53 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
17 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
I used EasyTether for this as I had purchased it awhile ago and they had a bluetooth tablet app that I could use. I have not tried this with PDANet/FoxFi but I am pretty sure it should work as it is a similar setup.

-- Setting Up
0. Plug your galaxy gear into the cradle and you should be running Null rom and have usb debugging/unknown sources enabled...

1. Start by downloading the reverse usb tethering app from xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1371345

2. Use WonderShare or adb push to install
HackConnectivityService.apk
installed.apk

3. Open the newly installed "USB Tunnel" app on your galaxy gear

4. Start up AndroidTool.exe on your pc and hit the connect button

5. After about 20 seconds your gear should prompt for a superuser access screen. Go ahead and hit ok or grant access

6. After the connection is made you should now be able to open the google play store and sign into your gmail account. If google account manager crashes, continue on to the next step and try again after step 11.

7. On your galaxy gear goto the regular android settings screen and click on the Xposed section. Click on framework and go ahead and update/install the framework and reboot the galaxy gear.

8. With the galaxy gear now rebooted, go into the android settings -> xposed -> and this time hit the modules button. Scroll down and click on the hackconnectivity application. With that app now enabled go ahead and reboot the galaxy gear again. (not sure if necessary but I think I recall it saying it has to be rebooted)

9. With the gear now properly setup return to the android settings -> xposed -> modules -> hackconnectivity and click on the WIFI button.

10. Your galaxy gear will now assume its internet connection will always be wifi even if connected via usb or bluetooth

11. You should be now able to sign into your gmail account by click on the playstore icon if you were not able to before.


-- Getting Tethering Working

12. Using either the PlayStore or sideloading the Amazon Appstore - download Easytether on your phone - and on your galaxy gear install the Easytether Tablet application.

13. Open the Easytether application on your phone and and select Bluetooth Tethering

14. On your galaxy gear open the EasyTether Tablet app and select your phone from the list of devices on the bottom of the screen. After the connection is established your galaxy gear should now be online with bluetooth and feel free to remove it from the charing cradle.

15. I was able to install Netflix on my watch, login, and start an episode of Star Trek while I was writing this for you guys. I hope this gets you guys online with your watches! =)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sting0387 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th December 2013, 08:28 AM   |  #3  
almulder1092's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 331
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
I will have to check this out and let ya know if I can get it to work. I switched to an international rom just to get native Bluetooth tethering. This will be a nice option for others that don't have a working solution

Nice work and write up.
30th December 2013, 08:44 AM   |  #4  
fOmey's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Sydney, AUS
Thanks Meter: 3,940
 
3,152 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0387

I used EasyTether for this as I had purchased it awhile ago and they had a bluetooth tablet app that I could use. I have not tried this with PDANet/FoxFi but I am pretty sure it should work as it is a similar setup.

-- Setting Up
0. Plug your galaxy gear into the cradle and you should be running Null rom and have usb debugging/unknown sources enabled...

1. Start by downloading the reverse usb tethering app from xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1371345

2. Use WonderShare or adb push to install
HackConnectivityService.apk
installed.apk

3. Open the newly installed "USB Tunnel" app on your galaxy gear

4. Start up AndroidTool.exe on your pc and hit the connect button

5. After about 20 seconds your gear should prompt for a superuser access screen. Go ahead and hit ok or grant access

6. After the connection is made you should now be able to open the google play store and sign into your gmail account. If google account manager crashes, continue on to the next step and try again after step 11.

7. On your galaxy gear goto the regular android settings screen and click on the Xposed section. Click on framework and go ahead and update/install the framework and reboot the galaxy gear.

8. With the galaxy gear now rebooted, go into the android settings -> xposed -> and this time hit the modules button. Scroll down and click on the hackconnectivity application. With that app now enabled go ahead and reboot the galaxy gear again. (not sure if necessary but I think I recall it saying it has to be rebooted)

9. With the gear now properly setup return to the android settings -> xposed -> modules -> hackconnectivity and click on the WIFI button.

10. Your galaxy gear will now assume its internet connection will always be wifi even if connected via usb or bluetooth

11. You should be now able to sign into your gmail account by click on the playstore icon if you were not able to before.


-- Getting Tethering Working

12. Using either the PlayStore or sideloading the Amazon Appstore - download Easytether on your phone - and on your galaxy gear install the Easytether Tablet application.

13. Open the Easytether application on your phone and and select Bluetooth Tethering

14. On your galaxy gear open the EasyTether Tablet app and select your phone from the list of devices on the bottom of the screen. After the connection is established your galaxy gear should now be online with bluetooth and feel free to remove it from the charing cradle.

15. I was able to install Netflix on my watch, login, and start an episode of Star Trek while I was writing this for you guys. I hope this gets you guys online with your watches! =)

This is a nice work around ! Although you should simply only have to load the xposed module & activate tethering by what ever means you choose. A few of these steps are not required.

I think I might include this xposed module by default in my rom to save you guys the hassle. If this is confirmed working someone please send me a PM and I will include it by default.
Last edited by fOmey; 30th December 2013 at 08:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fOmey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th December 2013, 11:30 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 65
 
267 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
Doesn't seem to work after reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
30th December 2013, 11:56 AM   |  #6  
fOmey's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Sydney, AUS
Thanks Meter: 3,940
 
3,152 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake65

Doesn't seem to work after reboot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Need to be re-enabled upon reboot.

It appears your from AUS tho, you shouldnt have to use this..
30th December 2013, 12:57 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 65
 
267 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
Yes but iam using Skynote rom on my note2 to get the note 3 features and at the moment it doesnt have bluetooth tether.
Cheers.
John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
30th December 2013, 04:46 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey

This is a nice work around ! Although you should simply only have to load the xposed module & activate tethering by what ever means you choose. A few of these steps are not required.

I think I might include this xposed module by default in my rom to save you guys the hassle. If this is confirmed working someone please send me a PM and I will include it by default.

I can confirm that it works. I'm on stock ATT Note 3. All the steps weren't required like you said. I loaded the module and installed easytether on both the gear and phone.
30th December 2013, 05:23 PM   |  #9  
almulder1092's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 331
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0387

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I just got finished tinkering around with my galaxy gear over the last 2 days (got it for xmas =)) and I figured out a way to get internet tethering working on a non rooted stock note 3. I will post a quick guide shortly. I'm not very good at writing them and I am assuming you know how to root and install/sideload apps by yourself either with wondershare or adb commands. Will be up shortly =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fOmey

This is a nice work around ! Although you should simply only have to load the xposed module & activate tethering by what ever means you choose. A few of these steps are not required.

I think I might include this xposed module by default in my rom to save you guys the hassle. If this is confirmed working someone please send me a PM and I will include it by default.

Confirmed working. I installed the HackConnectivityService.apk, then installed PdaNet Tablet, then installed PdaNet+ on phone. Activated HackConnecticityService in xposed. Then rebooted.

Activated and connected PdaNet on both devices. Opened Browser, browser worked. Then opened Google play tryed to connect. "Google Play crashed" (That is what was expected) Then enabled HackConnectivity in the app settings to Wifi. Re atempted connecting with "Google Play" I was able to setup and login.

Nice work, but yes less steps worked.

@fOmey - This would be a wonderful addition to Null_ US users could now use Google Play. And PdaNet+ is free So the original way of getting Bluetooth works, we were just missing this xposed plugin.
30th December 2013, 05:52 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Is there any way to do this with the gear running the stock rom?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Gear General by ThreadRank