Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 47,443 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

tf701 kernel development

Tip us?

menollo
Old
(Last edited by menollo; 10th November 2013 at 10:51 PM.) Reason: added picture
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Prompt tf701 kernel development

I'm trying to make a start to run linux on the tf701. Rooting the device with the SHIELD kernel was a hint that there is some kind of working linux kernel for the tf701.

I forked the SHIELD kernel github, and my first goal was to fix the messy display output. The SHIELD runs on a far lower resolution than the tf701. With a small change in the 'device tree' (dts file). I managed to boot a kernel with readable output (yay!!).

I'm not really familiar with kernel compilation and the concept of the kenel device tree is new for me.
Are the others who would like to help me getting linux on the tf701?

My github page with the framebuffer fix can be found here: https://github.com/Menollo/tf701-kernel
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to menollo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lortay78
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I'd like to help, but unfortunately I'm a total noob with development and I don't have a lot of spare time. The most I have done is compile CM for devices that had published guide and device tree.
I'm really interested in trying to compile CM for the TF701, but a good linux distro would be awesome too. If you can think of anything that I can do to help with my limited knowledge and experience, I'd be glad to try.

lpdunwell
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
would you mind providing a binary? I'm out in the fields and believe this could solve the graphics issue on my root method...
Sent from my block of wood using Tapatalk

Trel725
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I could to made something - I start linux with right configuration. But I couldn't made next step. I have problem with initialization rootfs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1796.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	2683894  
The Following User Says Thank You to Trel725 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

YayYouFixedIt
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel725 View Post
I could to made something - I start linux with right configuration. But I couldn't made next step. I have problem with initialization rootfs.
Are you doing LFS(Linux from scratch)? Maybe something like that will give you ideas?

Trel725
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Did you mean do I read linux for scratch? Not yet. But I read that soon. Maybe I really will have some ideas. Thank you.