Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 42,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To: Block Ads On Non-Rooted Systems

Tip us?

yumms
Old
(Last edited by yumms; 12th April 2012 at 08:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Thumbs up How To: Block Ads On Non-Rooted Systems

Its done via DNS blocking. You'll need to go into network settings in TFP, long hold on your wifi connection and click modify network. Then you must click on 'Use Static IP'.

IP address Choose a static address, just keep the current value as it should automatically be filled in.
Gateway will also be router's address
Netmask should be 255.255.255.0

Now the most important change to make is on DNS 1 and on DNS 2 settings. Put the following DNS servers on TFP's DNS settings.

These servers are provided by http://www.adbarricade.com/ - dedicated to blocking ads

These servers are provided by http://www.fooldns.com/fooldns-commu...glish-version/ - dedicated to blocking ads, tracking cookies, maleware, ect. These are located outside of US, so it would be slower for some depending on your location.

There are provided by http://www.opendns.com - the fastest of the bunch. This is not for ad blocking specifically but it can block ads. (see below)

You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains.

These domains should get rid of ads on most sites.

ad.doubleclick.net
ad.yieldmanager.com
adadvisor.net
adlog.com.com
ads.mobilityware.com
adservices.google.com
advertising.com
apps.mobilityware.com
b.scorecardresearch.com
campaign-tapad.s3.amazonaws.com
ctxt.tribalfusion.com
google-analytics.com
googleadservices.com
ib.adnxs.com
intellitxt.com
media.admob.com
media.mobpartner.mobi
munchkin.marketo.net
origin.collective-media.net
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
pixel.quantserve.com
static.ak.fbcdn.net
swappit.tapad.com
view.atdmt.com
zedo.com
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to yumms For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

svladimir
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Wow, thanks ! Works as a charm.

patcou
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, works great.

fcortes626
Old
Thanks Meter 205

DONATE TO ME
will this block ads that pop up on apps?

benefit14snake
Old
Thanks Meter 177
I use Adfree, but I thanked you anyways. Super cool post, thanks for taking the time to post it!

Sent from my EEEPAD using Tapatalk 2

Moonbloom
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefit14snake View Post
I use Adfree, but I thanked you anyways. Super cool post, thanks for taking the time to post it!

AdFree is simpler to use for people with Root, but there are some people who do not want to root their Prime, and some who simply can't (damn .21 update), and this is a good alternative for them (:
Please click the "Thanks" button if I helped you

If you really want to thank me, or just need a Dropbox account, use my referral link by clicking on the image below and we both get 500 MB more space when you install the program, completely free!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moonbloom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Blackwidowman
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefit14snake View Post

Nice to see you read the OPs title.

Bait-Fish
Old
Thanks Meter 227
Great post. I've been using OpenDNS on my home network and devices for years.

Something I experienced when my laptop was set to use OpenDNS, similar to your guide, is the public library WiFi network didn't allow my custom DNS setting.

In order to get any service there, I had to set my laptop adapter's DNS setting back to Auto and it would work. Just a heads up on case someone is having trouble while out and about.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Bait-Fish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mata77
Old
Thanks Meter 1
tnx bro for help..have any question:

"You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains"

my setting have only security, customization, stats logs and advanced settings..but not see "web filtering"..help me pls?

yumms
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mata77 View Post
tnx bro for help..have any question:

"You'll need to register with OpenDNS, in settings go to web filtering and put in any domain you want to block. Only thing is that its limited to blocking 25 domains"

my setting have only security, customization, stats logs and advanced settings..but not see "web filtering"..help me pls?
Click on dashboard, settings, click on your IP address, then you'll see the content filtering settings.