No registration required

[How To]TF201 Flash TWRP on Jellybean and Root

OP hx4700 Killer

9th December 2012, 05:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Texas
Thanks Meter: 256

1,218 posts
I just went through the unlock and root it is fresh in the mind. These directions ASSUME AN SD CARD IS INSTALLED to the tablet and a WINDOWS OS!

Downloads, get them and put them in a folder on your computer:

Asus Unlock Tool download link from ASUS:
http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...ice_App_V6.apk

Fastboot EXE:
I got fastboot.exe when I downloaded Ultimate Backup Tool from here:
http://goo.gl/iOUwe

Unzip it so you have fastboot.exe

TWRP:
Get TWRP for TF201Jellybean, here is their page I have posted the download link below:
TWRP Page

On that page are instructions including a download link.THIS LINK IS FOR TF201 RUNNING JB BOOTLOADER ONLY! DO NOT USE IT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE RUNNING STOP NOW!
TWRP Download for TF201 running STOCK JellyBean OS:
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/tf2...-tf201-jb.blob

MD5 Checker:
When TWRP is downloaded you can compare the MD5 hash of what you downloaded to confirm it is the a good download. If you don' do this and flash a bad copy of TWRP your tablet is now garbage. You can find something like winMD 5 generator:
http://www.winmd5.com/download/winmd5free.zip

Unzip the above download and run WinMD5.exe to generate an MD5 hash of the TWRP file you downloaded. Compare it to what it says the files MD5 hash is on the download web page. If I remember correctly I had to manually type in the MD5 hash from the page because it was an image I couldnt just copy. Or you can just visually verify with the one generated by winmd5.

Once the MD5 is verified rename the TWRP you downloaded to TWRP.blob just to shorten the name for scripts later and copy it to where you have fastboot unzipped.

ADB command:
I got ADB from several sources but this "root method" http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460 from bin4ry is what I have been using: (And no, it doesnt work for the prime because the exploit he uses to run the device in emulator mode doesnt work for us)
Download bin4ry's root tool to get the ADB file

SuperSU:
Finally download SuperSU zip file from:
http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn...arm-signed.zip

How To Use The Downloads:

Unlock Device:
First we need to unlock the device. Copy the unlocker APK to the root of your SD card for your tablet via the USB cable or putting the SDCARD in to your computer directly or with the ADB PUSH command if you know how to do that. Run the built in file explorer on our tablet and browse to the SD card (/Removable/MicroSD). Tap the Unlock APK to install. Once installed run the Icon for the unlocker and follow directions. There are several warnings etc.. You will need wifi connected and it will unlock your device and VOID YOUR WARRANTY!.

The unlock will take a few minutes and reboot one or more times. When it is successfull you will see a notice on device boot up that says the device is unlocked.

Flash TWRP:
Once unlocked, power it off. Once off power it on by holding BOTH volume down and power buttons. When you see the menu appear the first option is RCK. press Volume Down to change the cursor to be over the USB logo (two presses of the button) and press volume up. This puts your device in fastboot mode

Back on your computer you should hopefully see a successfull driver install for fastboot. I got all my drivers from downloading and installing the Android SDK so you may or may not need to do that. Android SDK

If all is prepared and you are in fastboot with drivers loaded:
On your computer hold shift and right click on the folder where fastboot and the twrp.blob file are and you will see a context menu. Click on "Open Command Window Here" (Vista + only or if you installed powertools on 2000/XP)

If you don't get the command window here option then you will have to open a command prompt. Open the run dialog and type CMD and hit enter. This will get a dos command windows. Use the change directory (CD) command to change the current folder in the DOS window to where your fastboot file and TWRP.blob are.

In the command window copy and paste the following line:

fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp.blob

and hit enter

Let it runs its course. When done I had a black screen with ASUS in the middle and a blue-ish bar across the bottom that was filled. I had to hold power until it rebooted. ( I waited about 5 minutes with that blue bar filled before looking up onilne to power off. I would recommend waiting a couple of minutes to be sure/safe)

Install SuperSU:
Once I confirmed my Stock OS loaded I copied the Super SU zip file we downloaded above over to the device via the USB cable to the root of my SD card, or by inserting SDCARD in to my computer and copy it over to ROOT of card or with ADB PUSH. Once the copy completes shutdown the device again.

Once off, power it on and press and hold both the power buttons and volume down again. When the menu appears you should already have RCK (recovery) highlighted so press volume up to load TWRP recovery.

OPTIONAL - BACKUP IF YOU WANT TO:
In TWRP there is a backup option. I chose to backup to my SD CARD and made sure to backup everything and generate an MD5. It takes a While but you can flash this back ANYTIME to put your device back to the STOCK JB OS without root. You can use the backup anytime you like to preserve your devices COMPLETE STATE. Just use the restore option in TWRP to put it back.

To flash root, once TWRP loads, the top left option is "Install" tap that.

You will see a few choices, select the radio button to install from SD card (external source it may say). Tap the super su zip file: Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to choose it.

Slide the slider at the bottom to the right.

This will flash superSU to your device. When successfully done, reboot (flash should only take a few seconds).

When you boot up SuperSU is installed.

To test root with ADB:
Your tablet must be plugged in to the USB port of the computer of course.

If you installed the SDK tools ADB is there or use the one from bin4ry's root tool as follows:
Unzip the downloaded root tool from bin4ry mentioned above. Use the shift and right click method in explorer on the "STUFF" folder for the unzipped files or use the command windows to change directory of the unzipped folder and further in to the "STUFF" folder.

In the command windows type:

adb shell

<hit enter>

after a few seconds you should see a $ prompt and your are in to the console of your tablet.

Type:
su root

<hit enter>

Superuser will prompt you to grant root permissions and I set the setting so it doesnt prompt me every time.

Your prompt will change to # and thats it, you are root.

I don't seem to have the command sudo on my tab so every time I want root in a terminal I type that su root to get the # prompt.

Any apps that need root can now ask for it, you will get that same "Grant" prompt and do so if that is what you want.

ADB will now yield Root when you type: SU root and hit enter (grant root privs in the popup)etc...

Final thoughts:
There are other ways to copy content to the device such as using ADB PUSH etc... and I am sure this could be mostly if not all scripted but now that my tablet is rooted I am not going to write one and flash SuperSU over and over and possibly screw up my device. Follow the directions above and you will be successfull. If someone wants to write a script based on the above knock yourself out.

I HIGHLY recommend checking ALL MD5 hashes of downloads to confirm you got what you were supposed to. This will help prevent bricks.
Last edited by hx4700 Killer; 9th December 2012 at 05:05 PM.
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to hx4700 Killer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th December 2012, 06:14 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 285

691 posts
More
Nice to see another guide on unlocking and flashing TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to McJesus15 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th December 2012, 03:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Texas

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJesus15

Nice to see another guide on unlocking and flashing TWRP

I was thinking a "how to root without unlock" one should be next....
10th December 2012, 04:43 PM   |  #4  

691 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

I was thinking a "how to root without unlock" one should be next....

Haha we have to wait for the amazingly smart people here to find an exploit for Jelly Bean. Although unlocking and flashing a custom rom is the way to go

Sent from my Zio using xda app-developers app
10th December 2012, 09:11 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Texas

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJesus15

Haha we have to wait for the amazingly smart people here to find an exploit for Jelly Bean. Although unlocking and flashing a custom rom is the way to go

Yeah, the How to was going to be:

Step1) You can't.
11th December 2012, 01:35 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

31 posts
So you finally did it... Did your warranty run out or did the frustration finally get to you?
I'm still holding off for now. In a way its a good thing an exploit hasn't been found, it means google have made the system fairly secure.

Next weekend I'm going to give finding an exploit one last red hot go. Failing that (and I'm sure i will) I'll be joining you.
11th December 2012, 03:21 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Texas

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abazz

So you finally did it... Did your warranty run out or did the frustration finally get to you?
I'm still holding off for now. In a way its a good thing an exploit hasn't been found, it means google have made the system fairly secure.

Next weekend I'm going to give finding an exploit one last red hot go. Failing that (and I'm sure i will) I'll be joining you.

I wanted to flash the Energy rom because of the near double quadrant scores people were posting. Little did I (or the chef) know that the Kernel was set to 1.8GHZ and constantly running 1.6. CPU throttling did little to inhibit that and even if you set it back to 1.4 it still ran 1.6 when max CPU was needed The back cover temp went from 90 deg while playing an interactive game for 20 minutes to 108.5 deg when playing the same game for 20 minutes. I had to think that was compromising stability and longevity as well as battery life so I flashed back my stock backup I made via TWRP and rooted as above.

I wouldnt mind going back when the kernel is more controllable. I'm actually playing with backtrack 5 now that I am rooted and EDS with mounts to truecrypt volumes so glad I am rooted, would have rather not voided the warranty

I think the policy should be that if you unlock things like the screen and wireless etc.. should still be covered but since they can't control overclocking etc... those kinds of issues are not.

Between 3 kids events, Holiday stuff I barely have the time to do the things I want to do let alone invest time in hacking this device =/
Last edited by hx4700 Killer; 11th December 2012 at 04:15 PM.
12th December 2012, 05:28 PM   |  #8  
Flag Hamilton
Thanks Meter: 76

356 posts
More
Thanks for the guide. Picked up a second hand Prime + Dock online with a locked boot loader. Following your guide I had it unlocked, rooted, and with CM10 in about half an hour or less.

Thanks!

Sent from my One X using xda premium
12th December 2012, 08:07 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Texas

1,218 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackjeff

Thanks for the guide. Picked up a second hand Prime + Dock online with a locked boot loader. Following your guide I had it unlocked, rooted, and with CM10 in about half an hour or less.

Thanks!

Sent from my One X using xda premium

Glad it was helpful.

I guess I need to go look in to CM10, I see plenty of people using it and talking about it.
12th December 2012, 09:31 PM   |  #10  

691 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hx4700 Killer

Glad it was helpful.

I guess I need to go look in to CM10, I see plenty of people using it and talking about it.

As far as I know the kernel issue is fixed. Androwook never had the issue. It'll still get hot but not enough to cause concern

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread