Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 44,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Direct printing solution for Android

Tip us?

e.mote
Old
(Last edited by e.mote; 3rd April 2012 at 10:06 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Default Direct printing solution for Android

I'm looking for a direct-printing app like Acer Print. From the Acer Iconia A510 manual (here), you can print directly via USB cable or through your home wifi network. The list of supported printers is extensive, numbering in the thousands. Printer list is attached below.

Pointer to other direct-printing (not cloud-printing) solutions for Android would be appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Acer_Print_supported_printers.zip - [Click for QR Code] (907.4 KB, 538 views)

Andreas527
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I use this app to connect to my printer over WIFI. Works good with Samsung CLP325W and Canon pixma 495 and pretty sure it works great with all other printers to that supports WIFI

PrinterShare
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.printershare

And for Samsung Only I use this app sometimes. But I usually stick with the Printershare app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nt.mobileprint

Not sure if this is what you looking for or you want a app that you can connect directly to printer without need of WIFI.

Asus Prime & Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andreas527 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

e.mote
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Thanks for the info. I had seen PrinterShare before, but was of the opinion it's a cloud-print app. Does it work via USB connection, ie to a non-networked printer?

xsacha
Old
Thanks Meter 199
I didn't think there were any apps that print to non-networked printers.

There's quite a few that print to wireless printers though.

HP iPrint to HP printer.
Samsung Print to Samsung printers.
PrintBot to all printers.
Nokia 2600 (2004) -> Samsung i780 (2007) -> Nokia 5800 (2008) -> Nokia N8 (2010) -> Nokia C7 (2011) -> Nokia E7 (2011) -> Nokia X7 (2011) -> Nokia E6 (2011) -> Nokia N9 + Asus TF101 (2011) -> Nokia Lumia 800 + Asus TF201 (2012) -> Nokia 808 + Blackberry Playbook (2012) -> Blackberry Q10 (2013) -> Sony Xperia Z2 Phone + Tablet (2014)
Dev blog: http://www.qtness.com/blog/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xsacha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SOTK
Old
Thanks Meter 105
+1 for Printer Share!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Andreas527
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
Thanks for the info. I had seen PrinterShare before, but was of the opinion it's a cloud-print app. Does it work via USB connection, ie to a non-networked printer?
Havent tested with usb cable. And i dont think it works. But i can be wrong

Asus Prime & Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Andreas527 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kidd_Funkadelic
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I just bought PrinterShare yesterday. Google's cloud print has always been pretty flaky for me, where things wouldn't print most of the time until I went back to my laptop and restarted Chrome.

So here's my 2 cents so far:

Aside from the steep $12, PrinterShare connected fine to my Canon MX870 via WiFi, and pretty much worked. I say pretty much because the only (2 page) doc I've printed so far, printed the first page only, and the % status on the ATP showing page 2 being transferred hung half way, before timing out with a connection error.

Eventually I went over and found the printer was somehow hosed - the WIFI light was blinking and hitting cancel on the printer it just stayed in some kind of "please wait..." state. So after 5 minutes I power cycled the printer, and tried a second time to print just page 2, which immediately worked perfectly.

So too soon to tell if it was a one time deal, a fluke w/ the printer's connection to the network, or some mismatch with PrinterShare that will cause the same problem in the future.

All that said, it's the best wifi printing app I've seen so far, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that it will work as needed (since I'm already out the $12 anyway )...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kidd_Funkadelic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andreas527
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Hi.

Printershare got a update that now make it possible to connect and print true USB.
Havent hade time to test it. But i should work with Prime i think.

Printershare works really good true the WIFI and now with USB support its just got better if i works.

PrinterShare on Play Store

"added support for printers directly connected to android device by USB cable (available only for devices supporting USB Host mode"
The Following User Says Thank You to Andreas527 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

edster00
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I've been using PrinterShare for several months now, it has always worked flawlessly for me printing (wirelessly) from an HTC Incredible 2, Motorola X, Kindle Fire and of course the Transformer Prime.

Ready2Mosh
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I just found out if you browse the play store online and browse apps you've already installed. If you look at the bottom of the page there are squares denoting pages that show the apps you've downloaded, well if you have downloaded a lot of apps, once you reach that last square you can't go past that as your last page, so for me the letter "P" is the last letter that I can see for previously downloaded apps.

I called google and spoke to a playstore expert and he told me that everyone will run into this once you have downloaded a lot of apps and there is nothing they can do about it. He believes a fix will come for this IMPORTANT FEATURE SINCE SOME OF MY APPS ARE PAID AND PAST THE LETTER "P".

For now the only option is to browse your full list on your phone/tablet under all. It's so much easier to do it online though, oh well, hope they fix this oversight soon.