ES File Explorer fails wifi copy.

23rd March 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Meter: 67

254 posts
Donate to Me
I noticed an issue with my favorite file explorer the other day, when trying to copy a large file over wifi, it would fail every time when letting the tablet sleep. I am using an alternate file explorer for those large file copies but really wish I could move back to ES FE. Anyone have this experience? It fails literally every time I do a file over a few hundred Meg. I don't have the issue on any of my other android devices, but none have ICS. Maybe an issue with ICS and that program? Or just my Prime? It is not losing the signal, just stops the transfer--- still shows that it is going but never completes and file size never changes.
23rd March 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 7

131 posts
More
I have the same problem. Beside that I'm somehow unable to cancled a transfer, I had several failed downloads of huge files. Also switched to a different file-browsers which works without problems.
23rd March 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #3  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 20

151 posts
Donate to Me
More
Mine failed too...
23rd March 2012, 05:19 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Collins, CO

254 posts
Donate to Me
Can anyone confirm other devices that have ICS having the issue? It would be helpful to know if it had something to do with ICS or just the prime. I actually installed it based on recommendations from this forum and found issues with it on my first large file transfer... I can agree on how powerful and simple it is but switched over to File Explorer HD because it works. Not that I recommend FEHD, full of ads and still not "HD" enough for the prime
23rd March 2012, 05:41 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 6

95 posts
Is there a manual somewhere how to transfer files with wifi using es explorer?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA
23rd March 2012, 05:42 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowatsch

I have the same problem. Beside that I'm somehow unable to cancled a transfer, I had several failed downloads of huge files. Also switched to a different file-browsers which works without problems.

It's not a prime (or ICS) specific problem. It happens frequently across all my devices with ES File Explorer. And as far as I can tell, there's no way to cancel a copy once it's started.
The Following User Says Thank You to vels13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2012, 06:03 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Collins, CO

254 posts
Donate to Me
wohli - there may be a manual somewhere but it really is pretty easy. Just tap the "local" selection on the top left corner of the app, then choose LAN. You can either scan for servers with SMB shares or you can attach one by using the "add" dialog, that will ask for user/pw, IP or name, domain (optional). Then hold on a file from one of the shares for the copy option. Then use the same menu at the top left to get back to local, then tap the paste button at the top.

vels13 - Thanks for the info!! Question: Why do you think there are so many people that recommend ESFE if it doesn't even do a decent wifi copy? I have seen it plastered on every "first apps to install" post and "recommended apps" post!!
The Following User Says Thank You to jordanmw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2012, 06:53 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmw

wohli - there may be a manual somewhere but it really is pretty easy. Just tap the "local" selection on the top left corner of the app, then choose LAN. You can either scan for servers with SMB shares or you can attach one by using the "add" dialog, that will ask for user/pw, IP or name, domain (optional). Then hold on a file from one of the shares for the copy option. Then use the same menu at the top left to get back to local, then tap the paste button at the top.

vels13 - Thanks for the info!! Question: Why do you think there are so many people that recommend ESFE if it doesn't even do a decent wifi copy? I have seen it plastered on every "first apps to install" post and "recommended apps" post!!

I actually like the app and use it for wifi copying, but it does halt frequently when copying files over wifi and that's kind of frustrating. Usually happens on really large files or when you queue up a bunch. I don't think I've ever been able to queue up say 10 video files and get them all to finish. The annoying thing is when it finally does stop copying, you can't cancel and restart, you have to force close the app or reboot phone. I've experienced this on transformer prime, galaxy 10.1, and my HTC glacier. Works great for smaller files though.
23rd March 2012, 06:56 PM   |  #9  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 34

448 posts
This is probably obvious, but I believe the Prime is set to turn off wifi when sleeping by default. This might be an ICS default.

You can change it under Wifi->Advanced.
23rd March 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 20

264 posts
Yeah, same here. Both my phone and Prime have that problem w/ ES.

I don't know if there's a better WiFi file manager on the market but I really like ES.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread