XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

Unlock Hidden Camera Settings on Your Moto G

At one point in time or another, weve all gotten very fiddly with the camera settings on our … more
Post Reply

Dev edition, hardware swap q:

27th March 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
So I did a little searching before posting so don't ream me please 😬😈
1) Does the dev edition s4 also have a locked bootloader? That would be f'in whack.. If it us unlocked and my second q doesn't pan I may try and swoop one up. ..
2) I have a friend with a tmobile s4 that he cracked the digitizer and just reported it lost... If I took his board could I unlock it to big red? If so what would be the consequences?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th March 2014, 12:42 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89
 
296 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooandbio4me

So I did a little searching before posting so don't ream me please ����
1) Does the dev edition s4 also have a locked bootloader? That would be f'in whack.. If it us unlocked and my second q doesn't pan I may try and swoop one up. ..
2) I have a friend with a tmobile s4 that he cracked the digitizer and just reported it lost... If I took his board could I unlock it to big red? If so what would be the consequences?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Dev Edition S4 normally does not have a locked bootloader. I say normally because some users took an Over The Air update which did lock the bootloader. So it depends on whether the bootloader is a stock MDK bootloader or if the user took a subsequent OTA update which in turn locked / changed the bootloader. Also, there is no factor image for the Dev Edition, so if it is locked it is going to stay locked for the foreseeable future. As for your second question, I'm not sure that will work. I think the firmware differences between TMO and Verizon plus the difference between GSM and CDMA will not be easy to overcome. But I don't know that for sure.
Last edited by jpcalhoun; 27th March 2014 at 12:44 PM.
27th March 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #3  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,660
 
3,475 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe. The users who locked then up did so by using Odin and retail firmware.

Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th March 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89
 
296 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe. The users who locked then up did so by using Odin and retail firmware.

Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't take that as you being a know it all, you're probably right. I just know some Dev owners did something to lock their bootloaders I just assumed (wrongfully) that it was an OTA of some sorts. Sorry for the misinformation.
28th March 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

I'm not trying to be a know it all trust me lol but the dev s4 never got otas I don't believe.

I know one user who received his DevEd about the same time as me. He received an OTA that locked his bootloader. I have never received an OTA, and I'm still running stock (more or less) DevEd.

It's funny how I bought the DevEd, because I wanted a guarantee that I could ROM the device. But I fell in love with the stock OS, and don't care if I ever have KitKat.
28th March 2014, 11:38 AM   |  #6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,660
 
3,475 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharad

I know one user who received his DevEd about the same time as me. He received an OTA that locked his bootloader. I have never received an OTA, and I'm still running stock (more or less) DevEd.

It's funny how I bought the DevEd, because I wanted a guarantee that I could ROM the device. But I fell in love with the stock OS, and don't care if I ever have KitKat.

No kidding? I didn't know any of them got OTAs. At least you have the option to flash whatever you want if you did get bored with stock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank