Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Viper4Android S-ON/OFF Workaround

OP blewis540

1st April 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 25

84 posts
I have successfully created my own bypass to get viper4android to work. Always create a full backup before attempting =)

1. Download viper4android APK
2. Download Root Explorer from the playstore
3. Install Both Apps
4. Launch Root Explorer
5. In root explorer go to /system/lib/soundfx and copy the folder to /data/ (make a soundfx folder)
6. Also copy /system/etc/audio_effects.conf to the /data/soundfx/ folder
7. Using root explorers menu you can create a shortcut (symbolic link) make a shortcut of the /data/soundfx/ folder and a shortcut of the /data/soundfx/audio_effects.conf
8. Boot into TWRP
9.Mount the system partition
10. Rename /system/lib/soundfx to /system/lib/soundfx2
11. Copy soundfx shortcut create earlier to /system/lib/ it will look like a "file" to TWRP
12.Rename the /system/etc/audio_effects.conf to /system/etc/audio_effects.conf1
13. Copy the audio_effects shortcut into /system/etc/ (be sure its name matches the old exactly)
15. Reboot
16. Launch Viper and install driver

I haven't dealt with LPA yet (hasn't had an issue) nor have I done any other modifications at this time which are avail on the viper4android thread.

I was just thinking about symbolic links to get around this S-OFF/ON issue and it appears they work and technically as a workaround we could symbolically link everything in system to another location and access it all. This could easily be put into ROM builds now at least as well!

Build.Prop may be useful to move out via sym link as well
The Following User Says Thank You to blewis540 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st April 2014, 05:59 AM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 4,773

5,558 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's not a matter of being s-on or s-off.. It's a matter of having write protection removed then you can do all of that. S-off just allows you to flash any partition on the device.. (radio, hboot etc..) plus you can flash any ruu you want as long as you change to supercid

There is a kernel module in dev and it's working great on my device.
1st April 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 137

280 posts
More
On M7 it seems to me that the S-OFF also disables write protection system on stock rom

Envoyé de mon HTC Butterfly s en utilisant Tapatalk
1st April 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag New York City

5,558 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by migascalp

On M7 it seems to me that the S-OFF also disables write protection system on stock rom

Envoyé de mon HTC Butterfly s en utilisant Tapatalk

But you don't need s-off to disable write protection. You just need a kernel with it disabled or the kernel module which flair posted in the development section. I'm using it and am able to write to the system fine and I'm s-on. The title of the thread should be something like "with write protection on" not s-on.
1st April 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 137

280 posts
More
I just wanted to clarify that with S-OFF this module is useless
1st April 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #6  
Flag New York City

5,558 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by migascalp

I just wanted to clarify that with S-OFF this module is useless

You don't need to clarify that to me. I'm very well aware of that. My point was that for this topic you don't need s-off for this to work.. You just need write protection off. Whether that be with with s-off or with a module.. This working is not dependant on s-off.. It's dependant on write protection being off. That is my point.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
4th April 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 8

105 posts
Donate to Me
More
For anyone who wants the stock kernel with write protection off just use this JMZM8 Kernel and then just install busybox like regular and boom Viper4Android, literally made my M8 sound so much better (not that it wasn't already awesome)
Last edited by xReaper7x; 4th April 2014 at 04:03 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread