Info 2 M8 First Impressions from an S4 Convert

OP Juvenall

3rd April 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag #!/usr/bin/Detroit
Thanks Meter: 55

164 posts
More
Tired of the chipping chrome paint and backplate of my still-works-fine S4, I decided it was time to try something new because I apparently have too much disposable income and an awful addiction to new phones. Here are some first impressions I've had with the device in the few hours I've been able to play with my shiny (literally) new factory unlocked gunmetal grey HTC One (M8).
  • Hot damn does it feel solid. Like I could use it as a weapon should someone ever try to mug me for it.
  • It's tall, son! Half an inch or so taller than the S4. Not a problem for me, but I can see where it would generate complaints from folks with smaller hands.
  • Wow that was a long first boot. Even the girls at the T-Mobile mall kiosk were shocked at this. Can't say I've ever had a phone take that long without me screwing up a flash.
  • Getting T-Mobile's LTE in Detroit on the thing it seems. 22Mbs down. I'm OK with this.
  • I forgot how much I hated having on screen buttons over the S4's capacitive ones. This really stands out to me since so much space is devoted to them. If feels like 1/5 or 1/6 of the screen is simply OS chrome elements. I can't wait to get Xposed and the immersion module on this (or better, a rom like PA).
  • The swipe gestures to unlock it sounded really cool at first, until I noticed that every time I tried to pocket the phone, I was unlocking it. a
  • Is it just me, or is the stock font just huge? I mean, I get the accessibility case here, but man...
  • Sense is a ton less annoying than TouchWiz (in the brief time I tried to roll with it). Specifically, I always hated the way Samsung perverted the notification shade with toggles. I can't, however, seem to find any compelling reasons to keep it outside of the swipe gestures, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to care about those anyhow. Time will tell, right?
  • Ok, the gestures thing where you can turn the device and hit the volume button to get into the camera without first unlocking your phone is awesome.
  • The camera isn't as bad as I've read. A few shots of my kids inside the mall I went to get a new sim card was poorly lit and the shots came out as expected for an Android device. Granted, I haven't printed them or shared them on Facebook, but that's why I have a 5D Mk III :P
  • God this thing feels great in my hand. I've read some say the gunmetal version is a little more "slick", but it doesn't seem any better or worse than the S4.
  • Someone was complaining that the metal from the case where the speakers go and the glass don't seem to be super flush. I can see what they're saying, but I can't say this bothers me outside of the gross abominations that groove will contain after a few months of use. I feel dirty just thinking about it.
  • Yeah, the sound is a lot better than the S4. No, it's a metric asston better. Since we're using metric, you know that's a scientific statement.
  • Blinkfeed is, um, cute? I mean, I already had Flipboard so I don't see what the fuss is about other than access from the homescreen, but it's not like I'm going to rock out a stock launcher anyhow.
  • The buttons are very subtle in the build. Not in a bad way, but it'll take time to get used to their positioning.
  • Bah! Why doesn't this have every rom ever for it yet! It's almost been two weeks, damnit! #fakerage
  • I think I'll give it another hour of play time before I void my warranty.
3rd April 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag XDA MODERATOR
Thanks Meter: 4,192

6,043 posts
More
Thread closed,

I have closed this thread as it will very quickly become both a phone comparison and rom comparison thread, which are against forum rules.

Any issues please let me know,

Ghost
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread