Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,023 Members 41,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jeep Grand Cherokee - removable dash mount

Tip us?

Wil Badger
Old
(Last edited by Wil Badger; 21st March 2014 at 02:44 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Jeep Grand Cherokee - removable dash mount

With the prices of the 2012 N7 dropping with each day I decided it was about time to snag one. The main purpose of buying it was to install into my 1998 Grand Cherokee but I also wanted it removable for a few reason. One was because I also wanted to run a radio still. The radio I'm using is controllable through an app with either Android or iPhone. So it seemed only natural to hide the radio and use the tablet as the interface for it. When the tablet is removed the radio is visible and functions as normal. This also means I don't always have to have the tablet with me to enjoy tunes. Since the tablet can control the radio via blue tooth I can remove the tablet walk over to the camp fire and fully control the radio still. I also wanted it removable to make it easier to deal with doing things like testing new roms or just plain using it in the house or around town for other things.

After going around and searching I ordered an OTG Y cable that I though was going to work but wound up only charging the tablet but wouldn't allow it to go into OTG. Really didn't feel like ordering another one and having it not charge or what ever. So I decided to hack and splice my own together. Also wanted to have it hooked to a USB hub for things like DAC, SP 3 controller, various drives whether it be flash or hard drive , as well as possible web cams in the future.

Parts:
SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter
BELKIN F5U404PBLK USB 2.0 4-Port Mobile Hub
Nexus 7 NVIDIA Tegra 3 1GB Memory 32GB
For now I'm using a hacked cigarette adapter for a step down to 5v for the USB hub
Fiberglass cloth
Resin/Hardener
2 Large safety pins(you'll see)
cables were in a drawer....you all know the story

Onto the pictures

Dash panel with the heat vents removed. The center bar was removed and the entire hole was slightly enlarge a bit more to get rid of the accent bead the goes around the area.

Next I went online and found a cheap 8 gig unit with a broken screen to use as a mold and wrapped it up and made an place for the release.

Fun with fiberglass

After letting it cure and some clean up

Some shaping got it to fit the area I wanted to take up. The dash originally leaned toward the driver a bit. I didn't want it like that I wanted it to be straight so it would be easier to view for all passengers for watching movies yada yada.

Test fit with radio in place

The Following User Says Thank You to Wil Badger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wil Badger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Next was making the catch/ release. Took some more fiberglass ,some brake line, some all-thread, and those big safety pins

Those large safety pins are the springs (after being modified of course)

Second test fit with it fully bonded to the dash panel

Some primer and a thumb press on the release to make it easier to use

Fully painted

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wil Badger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wil Badger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
I will admit the finish could have been a bit better. I should have spent some more time sanding and finding a better paint that matches the other small areas that are black on the dash but it's for a 4 wheel drive Jeep that get used as a rock crawler how pretty does it need to be. It will be an on going project for sure. I have steering wheel controls so that will most likely get added to the list. A better power supply . Web cam/s kind of hoping for multiple cams for several location around the vehicle. For filming while wheeling.

Wil Badger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Here's a pic of the cables used.

So it's the home made OTG cable, USB hub, and hub power wire splice to a USB end to plug into the cigarette adapter that's hard wired behind the dash. When I reopen the dash to do the USB extension I'll get some pics of that.

hoopas
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Good job man:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app