View Poll Results: Would you buy a kit to make your TrueSmart REALLY IP67 compliant?
Yes, I'd pay $15-25 for a self-installed kit. 58 85.29%
Yes, I'd pay $25-50 for a pro-installed kit. 8 11.76%
No, $25 is too much. 1 1.47%
No, I'm not interested. 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Hardware Hacking x201 : IP67 Compliance

26th March 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

18 posts
So, as we all know the Omate TrueSmart is as waterproof as a leaky boat, or perhaps a sponge.

However, I don't think there are any other Horologists on the forum at the moment. ( wikipedia horologist http:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/horologist ).

After looking at the "seals" on the case buttons, and the laughable o-ring that Umeox/Omate have chosen to use on the back, along with the piece of silicone flap that they are using to seal the SIM card... I have to say that expecting it to be water resistant to any degree is a bit laughable.

So, I have a solution, the same one used by Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko, etc.. etc...

* Liquid silicone sealant gel on the SIM card seal and flap.
* Replace the silicone o-rings for the watch back with a thin silicone gasket, with more sealant gel
* Retrofit and replace the button seals, or create black silicone button covers that better seal them

I'm going to have to look at the speaker port on the watchband. I don't know if there is a simple solution there to make it compliant for 1 meter depth without severely affecting the quality of the sound output from that port. A brief examination makes it seem that the port -might- be able to take IP67 conditions .. but without reinforcement, I doubt it could take the forces involved in a swim, waves, wakes, spas.

Still, I think I can put together a kit, and instructions that careful and diligent people could use to retrofit the TrueSmart to make it far more waterproof than the manufacturer does. The kit would cost between $15 and $25 US, mostly to cover the cost of making custom molds for the silicone gaskets. ( There is a local TechShop here in Austin, and I have a CNC mill to make the aluminum molds, and all the design experience and software I need. Even so, a small super-accurate mold is a couple hundred dollars worth of materials and work. )

If there is enough interest evidenced here on a poll, I'll make the kit.

Sincerely,
Martin Bogomolni
Maker, Horologist, Coder, and Machinist
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to martinbogo1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,276

2,861 posts
Donate to Me
More
Need to redesign the case so that the speaker is sealed as well.
26th March 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

20 posts
I've read that the O-rings are different among different runs. If the shape of the part of the case they fit against is different as well, wouldn't that make this effort require potentially as many different molds as the number of firmwares Loki has been trying to contend with? Or is it just the ring that's been different?
26th March 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #4  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,861 posts
Donate to Me
More
The case design is different. There's at least two maybe three.
26th March 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

18 posts
Then that means I'll need to make two or three variants of the kit. This will also require some externally-visible way to identify the differences between various batches of TrueSmart watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

The case design is different. There's at least two maybe three.

27th March 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 77

400 posts
I think, just an opinion, that if the gasket between the body and the back cover has holes for the screws to pass through it like on my Last of the Kickstarter Dev Eds, 1/8/1900, delivered first of the USA group in early Feb, then that gasket works if properly placed and screwed together. The housing on these is flat, without raised screw hole posts and no groove.

I think the main problem you are going to need to overcome is the buttons and the mic pinhole leaking.

The speaker, if it doesn't mind getting wet itself, provides no entry path into the body if the wire set going in has been properly sealed inside (white sealant on mine, I think). Water could destroy the speaker, OK maybe, but not the watch unless it can follow the speaker connections back up into the body. Where the band halves meet the body on both sides there is a hole through the body to let the cables through, sealed inside with some white stuff. Maybe sealed...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
27th March 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #7  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,861 posts
Donate to Me
More
The speaker is inside the case (under the square "bump" in the backplate) and uses nothing more than double sided tape. It is partly held into place by the plastic insert.
27th March 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 77

400 posts
What is that open slot for then, in the band on the speaker side ?

Where the sound comes out ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
27th March 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #9  
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars

2,861 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yep. (see attached image)
Last edited by Lokifish Marz; 7th August 2014 at 08:32 AM.
27th March 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

138 posts
Yes I was also curious about how the waterproofness of the speaker and microphone port would be approached. But I'm definitely down for one of these.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread