Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,150 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Hack] Working native hotspot

Tip us?

murryrulz
Old
(Last edited by murryrulz; 6th April 2014 at 06:08 AM.) Reason: updating verbage
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Hack] Working native hotspot

Not for the faint of heart!
I'm not responsible for damage to your device as this requires root to work.

1)you have to remove htcresetnotifer.apk and htcresetnotifer.odex from system/app/ - this will allow you to edit system without the phone resetting itself

2)open system/customize/ACC/default.XML in a file editor

3)You need to find "<app name="Tethering_provision"> <item type="integer" name="TetheringGuard_Rule">1</item> </app>" its near the bottom

4) change the "1" to a "0" and save

5) I used sense toolbox to soft reset. Don't do a full reboot or setting will go back as we don't have s-off yet

Be advised this is a hack. Bugs may exist. I do know that if you turn off the hotspot another soft reboot will be necessary as the hotspot hangs when trying to turn it back on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to murryrulz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrbracht
Old
Thanks Meter 182

DONATE TO ME
I assume you would need s-off for this to stick?

Sent from my HTC M8, Verizon style.

David 617
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Yah, how does this work if system is still write protected?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

murryrulz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Yes but to make it easier I've just uploaded an XML to drive that also has a fix for the bug that made the hotspot hang when restarting.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwzz...p=docslist_api

You can move to and overwrite system/customize/ACC/default.xml

Just make sure you remove the previous apps and then soft reboot

murryrulz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
So you can make changes to system but normally a hard reboot will revert those changes. The htcresetnotifier is supposed to hard reboot the phone when a change to system is discovered hence why its the first thing we remove then we can edit system. The soft reboot allows the services to restart without reverting the changes. Same as in the way we can get xposed to work without full system rw. This will work as perm solution as soon as s-off is achieved.

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by murryrulz View Post
So you can make changes to system but normally a hard reboot will revert those changes. The htcresetnotifier is supposed to hard reboot the phone when a change to system is discovered hence why its the first thing we remove then we can edit system. The soft reboot allows the services to restart without reverting the changes. Same as in the way we can get xposed to work without full system rw. This will work as perm solution as soon as s-off is achieved.

What about using
Code:
pm disable com.htc.resetnotify
The disable stays even through a hard reboot.

murryrulz
Old
(Last edited by murryrulz; 6th April 2014 at 03:45 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Haven't tried but you will still have to modify the xml after reboot

l7777
Old
(Last edited by l7777; 6th April 2014 at 05:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by murryrulz View Post
Haven't tried but you will still have to modify the xml after reboot

Right, disabling the reset apk will only eliminate the reboots when you edit a system file.

Just confirmed that you can disable the resetnotify apk, restart, and it will stay gone. You can modify system .xml files without having the phone restart on you. You will still need to do a soft reboot to enable the changes. A hard reboot will wipe out the changes but the resetnotify apk will stay disabled. One could get clever and use tasker or another automation service to automate the process of copying the modified xml file. Looks like this could be done with an xposed module as well.

Zallantor
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default working

First post here. Wanted to confirm that this working. I used the pm disable notify code. I did have to reenable the the tethering guard I had disabled beforehand. I also downloaded the xml doc provided. For soft reboot I used the feature provided in the xposed framework. Not the sense toolbox.

murryrulz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Yea I'm pretty sure an xposed module can do it too. Just not sure how to code that. Not 100% sure how those hooks work.