Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 51,648 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Plex and CCast

Tip us?

teisner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Plex and CCast

Do I need to have Plex pass subscription in order to cast my own media to the Ccast?
This is the msg I got when I click on the "Casting" button. its say its blocked, unless I have subscription...

Anyone??

Tomer

DJames1
Old
(Last edited by DJames1; 22nd January 2014 at 04:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 88
The message you got is correct. Currently you need a Plex Pass subscription to enable connection to the Chromecast from the Android app, the iOS app, or the Plex Web app. There's no independent capability to connect to a Chromecast in the free Plex Media Server or its built-in Plex Media Manager. In other words, you need to pay to play until such time as Plex decides to open it up to everyone.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by teisner View Post
Do I need to have Plex pass subscription in order to cast my own media to the Ccast?
This is the msg I got when I click on the "Casting" button. its say its blocked, unless I have subscription...
If you have stuff outside of Plex, Avia (paid option) and RealPlayer Cloud (free) will do it as well.
This is covered in the (long) FAQ.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

bwthor20
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Has anyone heard a date when Plex will offer this without the Plex Pass?

DJames1
Old
Thanks Meter 88
That was already discussed in the other Plex thread, but to summarize: nobody knows, Plex isn't giving any hints, feel free to speculate all you like.

castaway1
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Im using plex and chromecast every day but im dissapointed with fullHD 1080p videos. They are transcoded so they lose quality even with direct play turned on. Anyone know some way how to stream local content to chromecast without lose quality?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway1 View Post
Im using plex and chromecast every day but im dissapointed with fullHD 1080p videos. They are transcoded so they lose quality even with direct play turned on. Anyone know some way how to stream local content to chromecast without lose quality?
Your Source videos must be MP4/H264/AAC to direct play on CCast.

castaway1
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Your Source videos must be MP4/H264/AAC to direct play on CCast.
so i need convert all of my mkv to one of those formats? for example via http://handbrake.fr/ ?and it will not lose quality?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 753

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
so i need convert all of my mkv to one of those formats? for example via http://handbrake.fr/ ?and it will not lose quality?
Conversions always lose some amount of quality unless the target format uses lossless compression (which Chromecast doesn't support and is generally impractical anyway). The key is whether the loss is visible.

As long as you use a reasonable bitrate, there is no perceptible quality loss. 4-6 Mbps is a good starting point.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Quote:
Only need to do that if you want Direct Play without Transcoding.

But I do NOT suggest people go re-encoding their Library just to make their files CCast compatible for Plex... it's just way too soon in the development of Plex to say that drastic a step needs to be made yet.