Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 45,089 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sent My Note 3 into Samsung Repair- with KNOX tripped

Tip us?

people211
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Red face Sent My Note 3 into Samsung Repair- with KNOX tripped

It took about a week between sending it in and getting it back. The issue I had was that the note would not reboot if you pulled the battery and reinserted without having to connect it to the charger. Before I sent it in, i flashed back to stock using ODIN. I checked the status of the repair and it said they had replaced a component. I wasn't sure if they were going to do anything since I had tripped KNOX counter.

**The kicker**

I got it back today and immediately went into download mode and to my surprise, KNOX was reset to 0X0!! I know they said they were going to flash it back to stock when they got it, but i didn't think KNOX could be reset (even by them).

The Following User Says Thank You to people211 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Compusmurf
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by people211 View Post
It took about a week between sending it in and getting it back. The issue I had was that the note would not reboot if you pulled the battery and reinserted without having to connect it to the charger. Before I sent it in, i flashed back to stock using ODIN. I checked the status of the repair and it said they had replaced a component. I wasn't sure if they were going to do anything since I had tripped KNOX counter.

**The kicker**

I got it back today and immediately went into download mode and to my surprise, KNOX was reset to 0X0!! I know they said they were going to flash it back to stock when they got it, but i didn't think KNOX could be reset (even by them).

Maybe they swapped the whole board?

bookmonke
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Mine went in tripped and came back reset also and it said they replaced a component. Mine had a non working SD card slot, i figured that replacing that part would but the phone still has the same serial number and imei number, plus I had used the region unlock and it was still in place and the software wasn't even reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
Maybe they swapped the whole board?

Compusmurf
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Nice. Maybe the programmer geeks here will figure out how they did it and make everyone else one.

Not that I care about KNOX and wish it would just die already.

people211
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmonke View Post
Mine went in tripped and came back reset also and it said they replaced a component. Mine had a non working SD card slot, i figured that replacing that part would but the phone still has the same serial number and imei number, plus I had used the region unlock and it was still in place and the software wasn't even reset.
Same here. Used region lock away before and it sim unlocked my note. I got the unlock code from tmobile but didn't even have to use it. Unlock was still in place when I got it back

Sent from my LG-E988 using xda app-developers app

daraj
Old
Thanks Meter 155

DONATE TO ME
Same here. I sent it to Tmobile tripped and I got a replacement 0x0

noobtoob
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Thing is, the Knox warranty gets voided by a private key missing from the bootloader. Most likely, they are just flashing it back to stock with the signed bootloader, hence returning it back to 0x0.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtoob View Post
Thing is, the Knox warranty gets voided by a private key missing from the bootloader. Most likely, they are just flashing it back to stock with the signed bootloader, hence returning it back to 0x0.

Yes but this goes a long way to proving that it isn't an efuse as has been suggested in the past and has been shot around as being a fact by so many. An efuse wouldn't ever be able to be reset. Since its being reset, there is a possibility (no matter how small) of figuring out how to reset the bootloader so that it is signed when it gets sent in for warranty or traded in for JUMP.
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

InsertCoin 2.3.3 w/ ElementalX .9, 2.45GHz max, -45 uV, performance cooling settings.

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, HTC One (m7)!

noobtoob
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Yes but this goes a long way to proving that it isn't an efuse as has been suggested in the past and has been shot around as being a fact by so many. An efuse wouldn't ever be able to be reset. Since its being reset, there is a possibility (no matter how small) of figuring out how to reset the bootloader so that it is signed when it gets sent in for warranty or traded in for JUMP.
I agree. I never thought it was an e fuse myself. But private keys are nearly impossible to crack, unless released, which I doubt Samsung is going to leak.

If they put an e fuse in the phone, they would lose money replacing parts during their manufacturer warranty.

But, here's to hoping it does get cracked one day...:beer:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noobtoob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xile6
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Even if it is an e fuse they probably able to just solder in a new one.
If software then they simply flash the code and it resets.

We just need to talk to someone there. I know its hard to get a hold of anyone let alone get this info out of then.

But cool you guys got it back reset.

I think it is like the HTC One tampered bootloader setup.

Just give it time and we will have a way to reset it.
if im wrong tell me. I'd ratter be correct then live life being mislead.
Phone:Note 3 NF1 rooted and stock Knox 0x0

Other Phone(s): T-mobile G1 < HTC Vision G2 < LG-P999 G2x < T989 S2 < HTC One m7 < Note 3