Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HELP] Verizon S3 won't go to Download Mode.

Tip us?

ColdKill3r!
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Info 2 [HELP] Verizon S3 won't go to Download Mode.

Hi, everyone.
I have a Galaxy S3 from Verizon and I cannot root the phone, it simply won't go into download mode.
I have tried formatting it, but still doesn't work.
I have Android 4.1.1 version in it, I have called Verizon and they didn't know how to do it either.
I have done the combo keys Volume Down, Home and Power, but it eventually just starts up normally.
I have tried the same thing on another S3 from Verizon and it didn't go into download mode either.
I did get an international version of the phone, so the problem must be verizon.
Please, help!
Thanks!

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
Default Re: [HELP] Verizon S3 won't go to Download Mode.

You're being unclear. You say you have a Verizon GSIII but also say you have an international GSIII, which is it?

For download mode, pull the battery then try again but hold it for like 15-30 seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Outlaw621
Old
(Last edited by Outlaw621; 25th February 2013 at 09:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Make sure you are not connected to your computer until after you get into D/L mode. I know if I am connected to the PC before I try to enter D/L mode it will not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outlaw621 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

natsnation87
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdKill3r! View Post
Hi, everyone.
I have a Galaxy S3 from Verizon and I cannot root the phone, it simply won't go into download mode.
I have tried formatting it, but still doesn't work.
I have Android 4.1.1 version in it, I have called Verizon and they didn't know how to do it either.
I have done the combo keys Volume Down, Home and Power, but it eventually just starts up normally.
I have tried the same thing on another S3 from Verizon and it didn't go into download mode either.
I did get an international version of the phone, so the problem must be verizon.
Please, help!
Thanks!
You have to make sure your USB cable isn't connected while trying to put into download mode. Also hold Power, Volume Down and home button until phone vibrates and then release. Hope this helps
SCH-i605 with a full stomach of Mean Beans

Phones: Galaxy Note II >Galaxy S3 > Galaxy Nexus > HTC Rezound > Galaxy S2 > Samsung Skyrocket > HTC Inspire
Tablets: Nexus 7 > Samsung Galaxy 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to natsnation87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ColdKill3r!
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hey, guys.
Thanks for the replies.
Anyway... I have it disconnected from the USB and I also have already tried the battery thing, but none of those things worked.
I have 3 S3's, one of them is an international model, which I have rooted myself and everything worked (download mode), but the other 2 are the Verizon version (SCH-i535) of the phone isn't working - even though I've tried taking of battery, memory card, sim card, no USB cable connected. I have USB debbuging and everything that I need to have activate, but it won't go into download mode. I wonder if it's blocked (which I doubt, since I've seen people saying they rooted the Verizon S3).

luis86dr
Old
(Last edited by luis86dr; 26th February 2013 at 01:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1591
Default Re: [HELP] Verizon S3 won't go to Download Mode.

Its actually a button sequence of the following:

While phone off and unplugged;

Hold Home Button (Just home)

Then hold Volume down while still holding home.

And finally, hold power while holding Home + Volume down

Let me know how that works out for you.

Team Kernelizers; Kernel tweaking at its finest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luis86dr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ColdKill3r!
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
It works now. I was just not holding it long enough. I'd let go of it as soon as the phone would vibrate when I should keep holding 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis86dr View Post
Its actually a button sequence of the following:

While phone off and unplugged;

Hold Home Button (Just home)

Then hold Volume down while still holding home.

And finally, hold power while holding Home + Volume down

Let me know how that works out for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColdKill3r! For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

misstq
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default help mine doesn't go neither

i did the same key combination but i don't come into download mode.

i enter a screen with an android robot lying on the back, open belly with a warning sign..

can not root ( pls help

skywalk3r89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstq View Post
i did the same key combination but i don't come into download mode.

i enter a screen with an android robot lying on the back, open belly with a warning sign..

can not root ( pls help
I'm having the same problem as you. Except the difficult thing for me is that I can't see my screen because the lcd is broken. I have tried the buttons and it just wont go into download mode.

The next thing I tried to do was see if I could get it into download mode on a fully functioning SGS3. I tried it out, and even though I was using those buttons, it still wouldn't go. I tried again, but this time I held the three button combo for about 2-3 additional seconds AFTER I felt the vibrate and it worked!! Try that, and hopefully it will solve your problem.

However, I tried my same steps on the broken lcd phone and it didn't seem to work. (at least I can't tell if its in download mode or not)

krustybaguette
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Download mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdKill3r! View Post
It works now. I was just not holding it long enough. I'd let go of it as soon as the phone would vibrate when I should keep holding 'em.
Home...Volume Down...Power...vibrate...hold until warning message about using custom ROMs appears. Then press
volume UP and I get the green Android robot and this message "Downloading...Do not turn off target !!" Upper left
corner of screen reads in tiny red text "ODIN MODE"
followed by PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Does the above mean that I am in Download Mode? When I plug in the USB cable there is no response.

What does "Do not turn off target !!" mean?

If I AM in Download Mode at this point I should be able to use heimdall at the command line, but here are my responses
at the command line:

kenneth@kenneth-ThinkPad-X60 ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ heimdall detect
heimdall: command not found
kenneth@kenneth-ThinkPad-X60 ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ ./heimdall detect
Device detected
kenneth@kenneth-ThinkPad-X60 ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ ./heimdall print-pit
Heimdall v1.4 RC1

Copyright (c) 2010-2012, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3

As seen above it seems like there's an attempt to connect to my S3 but the libusb error: -3 sent me off searching about for a solution
and I found something about installing libusbx-1.0.17.

Followed the instructions in the INSTALL file
The simplest way to compile this package is:

1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type
`./configure' to configure the package for your system.

Running `configure' might take a while. While running, it prints
some messages telling which features it is checking for.

2. Type `make' to compile the package.

3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with
the package.

4. Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and
documentation.

#1 seemed to work, #2 "make" returns the following:
kenneth@kenneth-ThinkPad-X60 ~/Desktop/libusbx-1.0.17 $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

So, that's where I am stuck. Does #2 mean that I should type "make" and the specify a file as "target"

Anyone know where to go next?

The wiki says "Samsung devices come with a unique boot mode called Download Mode which is very similar to Fastboot Mode on some devices with unlocked bootloaders. Heimdall is a cross-platform, open source tool for interfacing with Download Mode on Samsung devices. The preferred method of installing a custom recovery is through this boot mode. Rooting the stock firmware is neither recommended nor necessary."

I don't object to rooting my phone, but if this heimdall method is the CM recommended method I'd like to get it to work. Suggestions???

Thx,
kb