Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Galaxy Mega Official KitKat Update

Tip us?

micxploed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default AT&T Galaxy Mega Official KitKat Update

Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sashusmom
Old
Thanks Meter 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by micxploed View Post
Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

I got the DL OTA- takes about an hr. to download and must be over wifi. Over 500 mb. If you are rooted, it will not install. I unrooted with OTA rootkeeper Voodoo and it failed at 25%. Then I left it rooted. It failed at 28%. The 3rd time I unrooted with supersu. Crossed my fingers, let voodoo keep my root backup, and it did install.

Voodoo won't work on anything over 4.3, so it won't restore my root. Kingo won't work either. So you will lose root till someone figures out how to root without a flashable zip.
SG Note-i717 -SG Mega i527 (stock KK) iphone 5s-JB nokia 521/win8.1
SG note 8/JB TF101/dock/kitkat
It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micxploed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
I wonder if you have to be on AT&T's network to get the update even if you're useing a different carrier.

sashusmom
Old
Thanks Meter 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by micxploed View Post
I wonder if you have to be on AT&T's network to get the update even if you're useing a different carrier.

You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.

kmt5150
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Exclamation Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.
You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.
******************Current Devices**************
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE SGH-i527 UCUBNE7 (Android 4.4.2 KitKat) unlocked network PENDING)
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active SGH-i537 (unlocked network PENDING)
Motorola Atrix HD Developer Edition (rooted, unlocked boot and network)

***************Retired Devices*****************
Motorola Atrix (at&t)
Any boost mobile phone released prior to 2010
Samsung Galaxy S (t-mo)

Now accepting donations via Google Wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmt5150 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banks2878
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I think you do on this phone I kept getting update interrupted with my t mobile sim card and 64gb memory card in. I did as you said and removed and im still getting that.

kmt5150
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Thumbs up Try this...

Try to backup your phone via Kies. Once that is done, remove root permanently from superSU-settings then do a factory reset with the SIM and SD out. Once complete, connect to your wifi, download and install the update. Worked on mine.
Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 LTE SGH-i527 UCUBNE7 (Android 4.4.2 KitKat) unlocked network PENDING)

Motorola Atrix (at&t)
Samsung Galaxy S (t-mo)

sashusmom
Old
(Last edited by sashusmom; 13th June 2014 at 08:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt5150 View Post
You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.
That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

Is Net 10 an att mvno?? I know ptel is a t-mo mvno.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.
The Following User Says Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kmt5150
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.
I wasn't referring to my S4a, rather my Mega. I'm already working on an ODIN image and I'm currently dumping the PIT file so we can unlock the bootloader. Much easier in KitKat, I think

Motorola Atrix (at&t)
Samsung Galaxy S (t-mo)

sashusmom
Old
Thanks Meter 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt5150 View Post
I wasn't referring to my S4a, rather my Mega. I'm already working on an ODIN image and I'm currently dumping the PIT file so we can unlock the bootloader. Much easier in KitKat, I think
Oh. Sorry! You had better luck than me An unlocked bootloader will be a huge welcome! Good luck and fingers crossed