Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,028 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Want to charge fast? Use the included charger!

Tip us?

cpufrost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Default Want to charge fast? Use the included charger!

The charger looks identical to the one provided with the S4 and Note II, it's 2A after all.

However it isn't! Galaxy Charge Current Lite (in the play store) shows 1200mA when plugged into this charger.
However the charger included with the Note 3 will show 1800mA.
The difference is the output voltage. The Note 3 charger is 5.3V whereas all the others are 5.0. This slightly higher voltage can allow the phone to charge at the higher current even if your cable has a bit of voltage drop. I have not tried with other cables however.

The (Note 3) does seem a bit more sensitive to charger type and will drop down to a lower charge current faster, however.

My 10Ah Anker bank will charge at 1200mA, for example. The 2A car charger I have also charges at 1200mA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpufrost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spyderlotus
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpufrost View Post
The charger looks identical to the one provided with the S4 and Note II, it's 2A after all.

However it isn't! Galaxy Charge Current Lite (in the play store) shows 1200mA when plugged into this charger.
However the charger included with the Note 3 will show 1800mA.
The difference is the output voltage. The Note 3 charger is 5.3V whereas all the others are 5.0. This slightly higher voltage can allow the phone to charge at the higher current even if your cable has a bit of voltage drop. I have not tried with other cables however.

The (Note 3) does seem a bit more sensitive to charger type and will drop down to a lower charge current faster, however.

My 10Ah Anker bank will charge at 1200mA, for example. The 2A car charger I have also charges at 1200mA.

I've noticed that the note 3 charges a whole lot slower than the note 2. It actually seems that this phone charges 1/3 slower than the note 2 which makes perfectly good sense to me considering it does charge at 1200 vs 1800. One time when i plugged my phone in while using galaxy charge current pro ( auto refresh checked ) it clearly read that it was charging at 1800. My phone charged really fast. It only happened once though. I've used other chargers with the oem cord and other chargers with other types of usb cords. It doesn't matter what combination I use I still get 1200. Maybe it's something limited at the kernel level....

BlueChris
Old
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
I saw this strange behavior connected the phone to my pc with the original cable in usb3, 2 times it charged with 1800 but most times is going to 1200 and I haven't understand why this is happening yet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

xbmoyx
Old
Thanks Meter 560
Not my video just watched it and am sharing it. It slightly charges faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwS...e_gdata_player

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk 2

cpufrost
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
OK not sure if galaxy charging current lite is reading correctly. I plugged in an old iphone "block" style charger, connected a non USB 3.0 cable and it said 1800mA! It dropped to 1200 when I refreshed it.

Plugged in the included USB 3.0 cable and 5.3V charger and it did the same. So not so sure about this.

However with 5.3V the phone should be less sensitive to cable length. Look out, 10 foot cable here I come!

XxLostSoulxX
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Ehh not true because on my note 2 it said 1800 with the note 2 charger. It depends how much stuff is plugged into that socket. And to others who say their note 3 charges slower, mine charges faster. If it is plugged in by itself and not have several electronic devices plugged into the wall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
RIP Tori Dean Crawford 2/26/93 - 06/04/12 Great Friend Who Will Forever Be Missed

Samsung Epic 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 7.2 @ 1.8 GHz
Cyanogen Mod 10 @ 1.0 GHz
Samsung Nexus S 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 10 ~ Matr1x @ 1.0GHz
AOKP MS 6 ~ Air @ 1.47GHz
Samsung Galaxy N2:
Stock @ 1.9GHz
LG Nexus 4:
Stock @ 1.83GHz
Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
Stock @ 3.0GHz

KeithOYS
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Indeed as what the title suggests. Mine charges from 0 to 100% within 2 hours and 15 minutes (compared to 3 hours on my S3).

High On Android With
Samsung GaIaxy Note 3 LTE N9005
Join the Note 3 XDA Group!

Thanks to shishircoolin for the awesome banner above!

billiy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLostSoulxX View Post
Ehh not true because on my note 2 it said 1800 with the note 2 charger. It depends how much stuff is plugged into that socket. And to others who say their note 3 charges slower, mine charges faster. If it is plugged in by itself and not have several electronic devices plugged into the wall.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Your on 110/230 1 ph us power how much you plug into the wall will not slow charging would trip breaker before you had voltage current loss
The Following User Says Thank You to billiy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxLostSoulxX
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiy View Post
Your on 110/230 1 ph us power how much you plug into the wall will not slow charging would trip breaker before you had voltage current loss
Nah because downstairs in my house my note would charge at 1400 with several equipment attached. And upstairs in my room with nothing on a wall socket it was doing 1800.

Downstairs took 3 Hours to charge phone, upstairs took 2 hours and 30 to 45 minutes to charge from 0%.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
RIP Tori Dean Crawford 2/26/93 - 06/04/12 Great Friend Who Will Forever Be Missed

Samsung Epic 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 7.2 @ 1.8 GHz
Cyanogen Mod 10 @ 1.0 GHz
Samsung Nexus S 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 10 ~ Matr1x @ 1.0GHz
AOKP MS 6 ~ Air @ 1.47GHz
Samsung Galaxy N2:
Stock @ 1.9GHz
LG Nexus 4:
Stock @ 1.83GHz
Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
Stock @ 3.0GHz

mingkee
Old
Thanks Meter 237
I have innergie 3A shared USB charger and it charges Note 2 and Note 3 pretty quickly (usually within 2 hours), but I found the phone gets rather warm if I use this charger, so I'd stay same and use a bit lower current.
Kensington Absolute Power can charge Note 3 quickly with 2A out.
Indeed, shorter (with lower voltage drop) and thicker (allows more current) USB cable also helps.