Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,525 Members 38,533 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Airtame - I'd like this from my Chromecast!

Tip us?

Wisiwyg
Old
(Last edited by Wisiwyg; 17th January 2014 at 07:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default Airtame - I'd like this from my Chromecast!

Airtame is a new HDMI dongle that promises to allow you to display anything from your devices...

Details here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ai...or-everyone--2

I was one of the early Chromecast buyers, successfully able to root and now running a number of the utilities found in this forum. But I still want to be able to simply cast anything I see on my pc or android phone to my TV. This new crowd-sourced device promises to do that, and more. Take a look at the link to see all the cool things they've planned. They started out requesting $160k, but have raised nearly $1M. With each successive goal completion, they've added a stretch goal and have achieved nearly every one. I think the key to its success is the ability to display just about any content you want.

Is there a way to do the same with our Chromecasts? I see the only thing holding it back at the moment is content. The devs here have been doing wondrous work bringing in content and more will be made available. Can we make Chromecast open to all content?

Oh, and they won the Engadget award for the "Best Startup of CES 2014"!

Admins - Please feel free to move/delete if you feel this is inappropriate.
OnePlus One/64 - Calkulin OnePlus One v1.3 (CM11s 4.4.4), Franco Kernel r16, TWRP 2.7.1.0 custom - EFS backup
Google Nexus 10 - ROM: CM 11, Kernel: Stock, Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
Samsung GS III - sold, HTC EVO 4G - retired

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 850

DONATE TO ME
Android screen mirroring seems to be on the way but it will require either Google or an OEM (not third party developer) to implement it, probably because of security concerns (not to mention DRM/copyright concerns).
https://plus.google.com/110558071969...ts/ch57ZKvqpYb

Meanwhile Koush is continuing to work on his own alternative for other targets.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

MadBob
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Meh!

Only supports PC's etc. DOES NOT and by the sound of it WILL NOT support Android other than as a remote.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 303
Miracast already does this and all this seems to do is remove the proprietary Miracast Wireless part of it...

CCast could do this already if someone just made an app for it and got it added to the whitelist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jchillerup
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I'm actually working on getting the Airtame software running on the Chromecast. The software, its library and the protocol will be open source, so don't worry so much about hardware support just yet. Just stick around and see what the community will come up with. Disclosure: I'm working at the same office as the Airtame team.

Right now my problem is getting the Chromecast to a hackable state. The ones I have are all updated past the fixed boot loader, so I need to find a new vector. Last night I tried to solder probes to the I/O pins of the NAND chip itself to dump the flash using an Arduino and its super slow serial connection -- better than nothing at least. I need to find some thinner wire though; the stuff I used was 20-something AWG. Will give it another go next weekend.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jchillerup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atiti
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Looking forward to it jchillerup
----------------------------------
Founder and CTO at AIRTAME
Chat with us at: #airtame / FreeNode IRC

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 850

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchillerup View Post
I need to find some thinner wire though; the stuff I used was 20-something AWG. Will give it another go next weekend.
Wire-wrapping wire (Kynar, 30+AWG) is your friend, though that stuff will break if you sneeze. Forceps and magnifying glass are also your friend.

And if you haven't already, sign up to be a developer so you can get your Chromecast whitelisted. That's the "proper" way to do mainstream Chromecast development.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

siratfus
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBob View Post
Meh!

Only supports PC's etc. DOES NOT and by the sound of it WILL NOT support Android other than as a remote.
Did you read the fundraising targets? It hit a million, so there will be android and iOS support.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to siratfus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxjivi05
Old
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
Sound awesome

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Nizda1
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Looks interesting. But in the faq it states that the ability to stream from an Android or iOS device is technically possible but access to specialized hardware is restricted by the vendors, thereby needing root or jailbreak to work. Which they also say they will not support. That's their words, so it looks like the road map is only for a remote or possibly casting a screen to the mobile device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk