Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,730 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sideloading Apks to multiple devices at once

Tip us?

Dansixminute
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Sideloading Apks to multiple devices at once

Hullo.

Looking for a little advice from folks about sideloading apks to multiple android devices at once (like, 8 or 9 of em). Searched around the forums a bit and couldn't find anything directly relating to this issue, so I figured I'd ask. I dunno if this belongs more in App development, but its an Android specific issue so...

At present I'm using Test Flight App (I'd post the URL but I'm too much of a noob here) to manage builds and releases. Its really great for getting beta builds out to the studio team, and to various beta testers and potential partners.
However there are a few issues with it, which are particularly problematic for quick iterations etc.

1) Actually downloading the apks is a manual process per device. So if you've a small QA team (or are working solo) it takes alot of time to get the newest build onto everything.

2) Each build has to be uploaded via the Test Flight website, then distributed to users on a build by build basis. This is a difficult to automate process, so makes having any kind of continuous integration system for nightlies etc. difficult at best.

I've been looking into possibly doing something like installing a Dropbox on each device and automating CI builds to a dedicated folder, which is shared via Dropbox to everything, but its a bit of work up front to get it working and I may still have to actually manually install the things each time.

Any of you guys had any experience attempting to do something like this?

Dansixminute
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Figured I might as well come back and answer my own question incase anyone else was wondering.

Ended up using a USB hub to connect multiple devices then running a script that used ADB to get all attached devices, then passed that list one by one into the adb install function.

Still not ideal, as it requires a wired connection for each phone, but works for now.

hnkotnis
Old
(Last edited by hnkotnis; 29th March 2014 at 09:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 420
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansixminute View Post
Figured I might as well come back and answer my own question incase anyone else was wondering.

Ended up using a USB hub to connect multiple devices then running a script that used ADB to get all attached devices, then passed that list one by one into the adb install function.

Still not ideal, as it requires a wired connection for each phone, but works for now.
How about Wireless ADB?
Check ADB Wireless on Play Store. (Unfortunately all phones must be rooted, because it requires ADB port to be set to 5555)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...18.adbwireless

I think you are using batch file to get ADB script for all devices.

Press Thanks if helped.