Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,552 Members 47,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any Reason To NOT Bootloader Unlock via Firewater and Use HTCDev Instead?

Tip us?

arh2o
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Any Reason To NOT Bootloader Unlock via Firewater and Use HTCDev Instead?

Getting my M8 in day or so, and will be unlocking the bootloader right away. Basically, is there any reason to NOT use firewater? If I request a token to unlock my BL on HTCDev they will have a record of this and will refuse warranty on everything. Basically, will using firewater to unlock hinder any future updates or cause any problems down the road? The method that is not tracked is always the better method so..

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by arh2o View Post
Getting my M8 in day or so, and will be unlocking the bootloader right away. Basically, is there any reason to NOT use firewater? If I request a token to unlock my BL on HTCDev they will have a record of this and will refuse warranty on everything. Basically, will using firewater to unlock hinder any future updates or cause any problems down the road? The method that is not tracked is always the better method so..
Firewater requires root to run. Most temp root scenarios do not work on at&t phone. You can try them, but I haven't seen any work. If they don't work, you have to unlock boot loader to root, then run firewater.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeathmonkeyGTX
Old
Thanks Meter 521
Yup only reason I was able to firewater without HTC dev was via buying gpe version. Factbook oem unlock instead

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
E970 synergy CodefireX 4.2.2

andrewnelson
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 23
Firewater requires root to run. Most temp root scenarios do not work on at&t phone. You can try them, but I haven't seen any work. If they don't work, you have to unlock boot loader to root, then run firewater.

P05TMAN
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnelson View Post
Do you still get OTA updates from AT&T if you unlock and root the M8?

jjbusa
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnelson View Post
I wonder the same I always read conflicting comments

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app