No registration required

[Q] S-OFF'ing the HTC One S4 - Fastboot not working

OP Hammerbak

24th March 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

179 posts
Hi everyone,

I need a little help here as I find myself stuck between a lot of possibilities and I don't know which one to take or generally what to do.

My girlfriend has an HTC One S4 with unlocked bootloader (HBOOT 2.15), recovery installed, running Viper ROM 3.1.

However because she only has the 1.15 RADIO on the device it tends to reboot quite a lot and she can't have a phone that reboots that often to use on a daily basis.

I want to S-OFF the device so I can upgrade the RADIO.

I've heard of Moonshine method and rumrunner method, however both of these only work with fastboot drivers installed and working.

This is not the case for her S4. I have a desktop (win 8.1, with USB 2 and USB 3.0) and a laptop (win 8.0 with only USB 3).
And none of them can find the device when it is connected while in fastboot. Therefore I can't S-OFF the device that way..

Could anyone point me in the right direction or have some suggestions on what to do?
25th March 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 55

447 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbak

This is not the case for her S4. I have a desktop (win 8.1, with USB 2 and USB 3.0) and a laptop (win 8.0 with only USB 3).
And none of them can find the device when it is connected while in fastboot. Therefore I can't S-OFF the device that way..

Could anyone point me in the right direction or have some suggestions on what to do?

Did you try a Ubuntu Live CD? That's what I had to do to get things working reliably.
How did you install fastboot and adb?
25th March 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808phone

Did you try a Ubuntu Live CD? That's what I had to do to get things working reliably.
How did you install fastboot and adb?

No I haven't tried with an Ubuntu Live CD, and tbh I'm not that well known in the Linux systems.

Well I installed the Google Drivers from the "Android SDK Manager" and I tried a lot of different methods I found on posts alike.

The problem is that neither of my two computers can find the device when it's connected and in fastboot.
25th March 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #4  
Lübeck
Thanks Meter: 586

1,855 posts
Donate to Me
More
Question
Quote:

No I haven't tried with an Ubuntu Live CD, and tbh I'm not that well known in the Linux systems.

Well I installed the Google Drivers from the "Android SDK Manager" and I tried a lot of different methods I found on posts alike.

The problem is that neither of my two computers can find the device when it's connected and in fastboot.

How about using some friends computer /laptop?
25th March 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS.xD

How about using some friends computer /laptop?

Well I guess I could try out her PC when I get home later today, but I doubt there will be a lot of difference.

However her PC runs Win 7. I will return here as soon as I know more!
25th March 2014, 09:43 AM   |  #6  
Lübeck

1,855 posts
Donate to Me
More
Info 2
Quote:

Well I guess I could try out her PC when I get home later today, but I doubt there will be a lot of difference.

However her PC runs Win 7. I will return here as soon as I know more!

Is it a unbranded phone hboot 2.15 eu ??

For me Facepalm was the only wotking one.
25th March 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 55

447 posts
The biggest problem is that without adb and fastboot working, you probably won't get anywhere.
The reason I mentioned the Ubuntu live CD is that I have working fastboot and adb and still had problems with windows 7.
I finally created the Ubuntu live CD (actually USB) and it worked. It doesn't take too long to create the live CD/USB and it's worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to 808phone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th March 2014, 10:03 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Quote:

Is it a unbranded phone hboot 2.15 eu ??

For me Facepalm was the only wotking one.

Well tbh I don't know if it is unbranded - Since I don't know what that term means.

We live in Denmark and I think she got the phone from germany - bought on a sale somewhere.

Whenever it was booting up (before I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) it came with a splash screen saying "T-Mobile".

Does that mean it is branded to T-Mobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808phone

The biggest problem is that without adb and fastboot working, you probably won't get anywhere.
The reason I mentioned the Ubuntu live CD is that I have working fastboot and adb and still had problems with windows 7.
I finally created the Ubuntu live CD (actually USB) and it worked. It doesn't take too long to create the live CD/USB and it's worth a try.

The LiveCD/LiveUSB sounds like an idea and will be my first attempt after "trying" Win 7.

Does the moonshine S-OFF method only support Stock ROM/Firmwares?

I guess I am to try the rumrunner method once on the LiveCD/LiveUSB.

Thanks in advance and again I will return when I know more
25th March 2014, 10:06 AM   |  #9  
Lübeck

1,855 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well tbh I don't know if it is unbranded - Since I don't know what that term means.

We live in Denmark and I think she got the phone from germany - bought on a sale somewhere.

Whenever it was booting up (before I rooted and unlocked the bootloader) it came with a splash screen saying "T-Mobile".

Does that mean it is branded to T-Mobile?

The LiveCD/LiveUSB sounds like an idea and will be my first attempt after "trying" Win 7.

Does the moonshine S-OFF method only support Stock ROM/Firmwares?

I guess I am to try the rumrunner method once on the LiveCD/LiveUSB.

Thanks in advance and again I will return when I know more

moonshine only supports "supported" firmware versions listed on the moonshine.io homepage (page 3)..
The Following User Says Thank You to LS.xD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th March 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

179 posts
Quote:

moonshine only support "supported" firmware listed on the homepage...

So I will be using rumrunner then..

Thanks however.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread